• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sudden drop in FPS, need some help.

Panzer Meyer

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005
North Cacilaci
For some reason, since the last 2 updates of RO my frame rates are way lower than they have ever been. I am not blaming it on the updates, doubt it has anything to do with it, but that is why I am asking here.

I use to get about 38FPS avg. Even at long distance, with smoke and a lot of players on screen my FPS would no drop below 30-35 and that was with detail turned up to max. (in RO, no AA or AF).

All of a sudden though, one day my FPS started suffering horribly. Even on small maps, like Oddesa where my FPS was always high, now it suffers, at time going in to the 20s when it never did before.

So far I have tried different video card drivers, BIOS settings, VIA chipset drivers, and it does not make a difference. It is so bizzare. I thought it might of been my BIOS settings as I played with overclocking, but they are back to normal (no overclocking going) and FPS still LOW.

I tried OMEGA driver, official ATI drivers and it seems to make no difference. I also turned down the detials setting within RO itself to about Normal/Low turning off detialed textures and dynamic lighting among a few others and it makes no difference. The weird thing is, turning the settings down does not improve FPS at all. Which is very strange...

I am hoping someone can help me out, or suggest something I try. I have a ATI 9800 PRO 128mb video card, Athalon 2800XP, 1.5G ram (PC3200).

Again, I hope someone here knows or has an idea of what my problem might be. Thanks.

This may or may not be related, but a lot of people are getting crashes with the ATI 9000 series cards now:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14570&highlight=9000+series

Also, for ****s and giggles, you might slide your case cover off and just make sure there's no dust buildup. RO is a -great- way for me to detect it in my laptop, because it goes from "unnoticable" to "who the hell set my leg on fire?"

Upvote 0
This may or may not be related, but a lot of people are getting crashes with the ATI 9000 series cards now:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14570&highlight=9000+series

Also, for ****s and giggles, you might slide your case cover off and just make sure there's no dust buildup. RO is a -great- way for me to detect it in my laptop, because it goes from "unnoticable" to "who the hell set my leg on fire?"

Hmm...I will clean it out and look. But I doubt that would have such a great effect on performence.

Upvote 0
While we are here I just wanted to know if anyone thinks my performance sounds ok on my rig. I get usually anywhere from 35 / 60 fps averaging about 40, is there anyway i can short of overclocking my machine to get more performance.
Or does this sound about right.................just curious.
  1. I do clean it out regularly.
  2. I defrag often with 0&0 defrag and the steam tool.
  3. Using omega drivers.
  4. Running Pentium HT 3.0
  5. 1 gig of Ram
  6. X-800 XL Card
  7. Audigy 2 sound
  8. 160 gig Sata HD have i missed anything?:eek:
  9. I have used all the tweaks from the forums aswell, thanks in advance.
  10. AA/AF Off resolution is @ 1024 768
  11. Everything is maxed :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The dust issue can be devastating, believe me. Just a small layer of dust drops my fps from 40 to 10 when it's a bit cpu intensive. In CS:S for instance, it drops from smooth all the time to unplayable when something happens.

From what you posted I think your CPU might be the cause. So if you didn't check it out, do it :)

Upvote 0