• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Subscribing a server to the workshop for various custom maps (gameservers.com)

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I've read through the wiki and scanned through the recent pages (search function does not seem to work for me).

How easy/difficult is it to do this for a server? Does it eliminate the need for a redirect? I'm trying to get this sorted tonight so any help is appreciated!

/edit

1 additional question, is one option better than the other? Redirect vs subscribing the server to a workshop map? Or do I need both?

Last edited:
Workshop for server is better in the way it has compression so you download pretty fast smaller files, and it auto updates by itself, but it has some bugs sometime when does not auto update the map..
Redirect is always good with reliable speed (workshop can sometime struggle to seend to your max download speed when your own redirect should be reliable on this side) but it does not have compression like on workshop. You have yo manually upload maps on the redirect server and game server when you do nothing for workshop (you just add the item and create the map info in the config file like for other method).

Both are good and you can use them together on same server (subscribe to some items and have other on redirect with manual installation).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1110775580 #Workshop vs Redirect Custom Maps
http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/...op_For_Servers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks! I went with the workshop and can get about 30% of the maps to work.

Not sure why I can't get the others?

I know ensuring I have the names spelled exactly correct is a big one, and that seems to check out.

So far I've gotten Biohzard, Classic Biotics Lab, and Classic Offices to load - here is the latest cycle I'm trying to work with.

KFGame ini:
GameMapCycles=(Maps=("KF-BurningParis","KF-Biohazard","KF-London Day to night","KF-ClassicBioticslab","KF-XmasCubed","KF-Defence_Thyself_Day-Fin5_Remake","KF-KF1-Foundy","KF-HorizineArenaRMEdition","KF-Doom 2","KF-Catacombs,"))

London, XmasCubed, Defence, Foundry, Horizine Arena, and Doom do not load and the server goes to Bioticslab.

[KF-Offices KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-Offices
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-Biohazard KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-Biohazard
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-London Day to night KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-London Day to night
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-ClassicBioticslab KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-ClassicBioticslab
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-XmasCubed KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-XmasCubed
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-Defence_Thyself_Day-Fin5_Remake KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-Defence_Thyself_Day-Fin5_Remake
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-KF1_Foundry KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-KF1_Foundry
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-HorizineArenaRMEdition KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-HorizineArenaRMEdition
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-Doom 2 KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-Doom 2
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-SectorC3 KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-SectorC3
ScreenshotPathName=

[KF-ParisEvacuationZone KFMapSummary]
MapName=KF-ParisEvacuationZone
ScreenshotPathName=

They're all susbscribed to the proper pages in the workshop in the KFEngine ini too:

[OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks]
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=820046643
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=851455817
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=643152606
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=664132838
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=793372837
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=786211479
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=838775511
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=648880425
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=657820124
ServerSubscribedWorkshopItems=671292252

I'm thinking I have gotten as far with this as I can without help lol.

Upvote 0
So I'm having some trouble with this. I am running my server using linux and the server runs just fine for stock maps. I also have WebAdmin working fine. I have tried to add custom maps like KF Offices, Bikini Atoll, and Mario 64 Remastered. They will show up with item state is 4 which I know if fine. But no cache folder appears under the KFGame folder. I can always get the map name and enter into the LinuxServer-KFGame.ini (linux version of PCServer-KFGame.ini) but when I try to load the map it fails to load. I have properly adjusted the engine ini file to allow it to download from the workshop obviously since the state of the downloaded maps is 4. Just seems everywhere I look for a guide is mentioning the cache folder and there is not one for me (I have mainly been using the dedicated server page on the twipwire wiki). I saw a post somewhere that someone mentioned the steam client running on the same computer as the server could cause an issue with the cache folder. But technically I did not install steam on the linux computer. I installed steamcmd and I don't have it running either. I do not know if that is still causing an issue though.

Upvote 0
So manually creating the cache folder and proper folder hierarchy according to the tripwire wiki (KFGame\Cache\643383080\0\BrewedPC) and adding the map file inside that last folder has made the maps work now. Either for some reason my server just didn't create its own cache folder OR somewhere there should be an instruction saying to create the folder and place the map file in there

Upvote 0
An update - I've made a lot of progress since Friday evening. All maps load and play great.

New problem. When the maps change after a game ends, everyone is kicked but me. Rather inconvenient lol.

I'm not sure if it is related to the fact that I am already directly subscribed to each map in the Workshop or what. Seems that shouldn't be a problem if people can connect without issue during a game after the map is loaded? I opened a ticket with gameservers also - but no feedback yet (maybe due to the weekend).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Upvote 0
omano;n2305312 said:
Are you sure they are kicked for real (like with a kick message or something?) maybe they just leave? Did you properly enable workshop download for client in the "DownloadManagers"? http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/...op_For_Servers

No message - just the new map loads and they never are seen or heard from again. I know they didn't leave on purpose since a few were Steam friends.

I think your link covers the issues though:
Make clients download the Workshop item from Steam when connecting to the server:

This will only work for Workshop items that the server downloads itself, that are listed in the [OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.KFWorkshopSteamworks] section as described above.

1. Make sure that the server is not running. If it is running, the Workshop setup will be overridden the next time you restart the server.
  2. Find the section [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] in the PCServer-KFEngine.ini config file.
  3. Add the line "DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamW orkshopDownload" to that section. If there are other "DownloadManagers=" lines, make sure this one is the first.
I did not add that line to my cfg file - going to do so immediately. Thanks for the tip man!

Upvote 0