• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics STUG III Tactics

hawco

Jul 12, 2006
Any advice input would be greatly appreciated here guys.
I found myself taking out an IS2 from the right flank at 700m on the Debreceen (sp) map, Now that I know it can actually kill first, what else can it do and what's the best way to employ this Weapon system?

The way atleast I use it is usually long range AP spam on the tanks (if there's no tanks, long range HE barrage on the inf), Helps more then you'd think to hide in a couple of bushes (think Ogledow). Since you reload almost twice as fast as the enemy you're usually able take out whatever they throw at you since you could get of a couple of shots before they even know where you are, altough when they respawn they will come after you so keep moving around as much as possible. If possible try only to engage single tanks.

Another important thing with the STUG (and the russian counterpart) dont give them the oppourtunity to out manouver you. In other words, Stay as far back as possible preferable on a lookout position so you can clearly see any tanks approaching.

My 2 cents

Upvote 0
Most stock tank maps are not suited to the Stug because of the close range. The Stug stinks in close.

At longer range, though, the Stug's low profile allows it to hide and makes it a difficult target to hit. The Stug is well used in flanking maneuvers, or -- once we have some better long-range maps -- even in a head-on assault mode where it's powerful gun can penetrate from distances that enemy guns cannot damage it.

German long guns like the one mounted on the Stug are quite good at longer range, but you won't really be able to see that until we start playing maps with visibility of over 1000m.

Upvote 0
I also use it for long range engagements mostly. You can't afford to be outflanked and also there should be some cover near. StuG can't take hits from anything from any direction so cover is vital (same thing for Pz IV in late war maps). At long ranges you can rely at some extent to the fact that people can't shoot **** and you can shoot twice as fast, but if they start hitting close there should be a place where to retreat and possibility to change position under cover. Always or even most of the time this might not be possible though.

Upvote 0
I personally prefer to employ StuG's at 500-800 meters out from the enemy and paired with at least one other StuG or Pz III if at all possible. And USE THOSE BUSHES!

Don't be in the first wave of an assault; hang back and support support support. Find a decent hide and spam rounds until a turreted tank can pick up the target, allowing you to go to another likely suspect.

If the enemy spots you, be prepared to move NOW- especialy if they're lobbing rounds at you already. If you've taken a hit already, it's a toss-up as to whether you should sit tight and return fire or try and make a break for it. If you're in the yellow, try and move- if you're red, consider it a die-in-place mission and pump rounds as long as you can.

OTOH, nobody's going to fault you for bailing out of a burning StuG- most, if not all, of us have been there and we know when assault guns get caught out it's not going to be a happy ending!

Upvote 0
In the new map, try to get to the flanks and attack at longer ranges. The reasoning behind this is that, at longer ranges, the narrow traverse on the main gun will translate into a halfway decent arc of fire. Plus, the Stug's gun is powerful enough to penetrate, and if you're flanking, hopefully you're taking flank shots.

Try to position yourself partially obscured by an object as well. Planes, rocks, bushes, a small rise, etc.

Upvote 0
There's also one very good StuG spot in the new map; on the right side of the battlefield pretty much in the middle you can drive half way up to the central mountains and there's somewhat flat space covered partially by a cliff. You can use the cliff for cover when needed, but you can also dominate large part of the battlefield including the road coming from Russian spawn. From the Russian side this spot is also not very obvious so you can pop quite a few noob tankers before they spot you. And when they do it's very easy to retreat by just reversing behind the cliff. Only bad thing is that it's outside the cap zone so other tankers need to keep the area occupied.

Upvote 0
well i always did say you must keep the stugs in a pack :p:) and keep one heavy tank with them so the heavy tank an cover them long range and the stugs can deal with fast enemy tanks that can flank the heavy tanks;) here a good read on TACTICAL EMPLOYMENT of the stugs you must keep your weaker tanks behind the heavy tanks let the heavy tanks smash the door in and all the weaker tanks rush in and cap the zones :) http://sturmartillerie.org/history.html

Upvote 0
Best StuG tactics? Hmmm...from a Soviet point of view, it's best if you drive up to Rus Rifle and SMG infantry, dismount, and engage with small arms fire.

Otherwise, if you see any AT rifles you're very safe is you present us a side or rear shot at less than 20 meters- if you must keep moving, a slow pace is acceptable to us. Engineers you can disregard- they're usually terrible at satchel charge placement and you can probably run them over before they get close to you.

Don't be afraid to get very close to Rus infantry of any kind- most of them don't realize you lack a vehicle MG and will run away from you.

That high rate of fire can work to your disadvantage, though, so it's best to NOT fire as quickly as possible and instead concentrate on proper sight alignment and shot placement for the best effect. Besides, by firing so quickly you're very likely to run out of ammo in the middle of the field- and THEN how silly would that be? Best bets for ammo: use AP on single infantry, like a huge sniper rifle; use HE on tanks because you have a lot more of it to expend.

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
on most maps the other suggestions here are very good. but dont be afraid of your skinny sides on big maps like orel, my best run with a SU76 included 1 tiger, 1 stug, and 4 panzer 4's as well as 1 or 2 pziii's. all of that was because a got as close as i could from behind or on flanks and filled them with shells before they knew what hit them. providing you can keep a good position these tanks can be used effectivly in close quarters, (warning this is not for a new guy to tanks) mainly for its good ROF, the first shot 50% kills, and by the time he is almost about to fire his first, hes a smoking wreck.

Upvote 0