• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Streamlining the interface

u-s-e-r

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2010
There doesnt seem to be a dedicated thread to this matter although these points have been stated separately many times so I thought it could be good to collect them all into one thread.

So here's a few things to begin with:

• When typing into the chat, pressing ESC should close the chat.
  • In all of the screens like the welcome screen pressing Enter should automatically press the "continue" button.
  • You should be able to choose spawn location with the keyboard (e.g. using up arrow and down arrow keys), it should also remember the last spawn location or at least make it possible to skip the choosing with Enter and just spawn somewhere.
There's also other things but I cant remember them right now, maybe I'll post them later if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

Here's another couple of things:

It would be really nice to see info about players on the scoreboard, e.g. who is an admin, currently the game shows the admin only for a moment when he joins the server with the text blahblahblah logged in as admin or something like that. Also other info like the honor level etc would be nice.

Also, please add the server name to the scoreboard and the map name, time left and stuff like that, so it all could be seen in one place.

Upvote 0
The chat is currently pretty useless since the messages disappear so quickly and it constantly gets flooded by other announcements. Please make the chat longer, now its only 4 rows which is too little, at least 8, maybe 10 would be better.

It would also be nice to have the chat in a similar fashion as in Source games, so that you can scroll it and so forth, or like in ROOST, the dedicated chat window.

Upvote 0
I think that there should also be somekind of difference between system messages and actual player messages in the chat, e.g. color. Currently it isnt easy to differentiate player messages if theres system messages blended in.

And as stated in another thread dedicated to it completely, the possibility to use the chat at the end of round/between rounds is also pretty important.

Edit. Oh yeah, I should have added that an auto-assign button in addition to axis and allies when choosing the team would be great

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There should be more pointers that would encourage the proper use of the game mechanics and teamplay. Currently the teamplay stuff is pretty confusing and the interface etc isnt clear enough. People that dont know about these things should be clearly told by something what to do and where to point your attention to.

I also think there could be more quick messages (e.g. voice messages) e.g. Covering fire and other things related to teamplay.

Upvote 0
Some suggestions that came up in another thread:

• HUD indicators as to where YOUR squad mates are, and where your squad leader is. Being able to keep track of each other would really help working as a team, I think. At the moment, you're lucky if you spawn with a 2-3 of your squad mates, and there is barely any indication that these are the folks you're supposed to be working with.
  • A more intuitive and robust command system. At the moment, it's impossible to tell if it's Joe Rifleman or Commisar Kickass giving you an order. Hud indicators only pop up in the tactical view. Squad leaders and commanders should be able to mark the hud of everyone in their squad/on their team with an objective, at least for a few seconds, so that everyone has a clear, organized goal.
  • A more robust system of commands and hud indicators beyond "move here" and "shell here". Adding things like "follow me", "suppress here", "attack here", "defend here", or "enemy emplacement here" could go a long way towards helping commanders and squadleaders coordinate attacks on the fly without microphones or text chat.
  • Speaking of text chat, differentiate between teams please.
Yes, the hud indicators may not be the most "realistic" things out there, but in actual combat you would already know your squad intimately by the time you were thrown into combat, you would know your leaders, and you would be able to understand your plan of attack. As it stands, it's very hard to do this kind of thing in a video game. Adding some unrealistic, but very helpful hud elements would go a long way towads fixing this shortcoming.

Upvote 0
Actually only one of those, follow me :p

Right, and it doesn't differentiate the SL from Joe Rifleman, so there's no indicator that you should follow this guy's orders.

Now, if a hud icon popped up and told the player that they should be following the SL, and marked the SL on their screen, that would do a lot to improve the teamwork, methinks.

Upvote 0
Right, and it doesn't differentiate the SL from Joe Rifleman, so there's no indicator that you should follow this guy's orders.

Now, if a hud icon popped up and told the player that they should be following the SL, and marked the SL on their screen, that would do a lot to improve the teamwork, methinks.

I think you are confusing the "v" voicecommand options with the "b" voicecommand options.

If a SL uses attack specific objective with b, the f4/f5 options will pop up for the fireteammembers (the option to reject the orders is of course silly, but that is another matter).

Upvote 0