Strange light issue

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

nymets1104

Dec 18, 2012
USA
Also, the problem only appears in game and it is not visible in the editor or PIE. He tried replacing the Point Lights and got the same results. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a BSP building also.

StmRtn

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 4, 2014
Finland
I had that same problem, but it was the fog volume that was somehow ''broken''.

Last edited:

Sgt.NightFire

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 26, 2006
Also, the problem only appears in game and it is not visible in the editor or PIE. He tried replacing the Point Lights and got the same results. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a BSP building also.

Yes, it is a BSP building indeed.

I had that same problem, but it was the fog volume that was somehow ''broken''.

Well, that would be helpful, only i don't have a fog volume in the map. :p

Twrecks

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
BSP is typically vertex lit, and very poor shadow resolution.

From The WorldofLevelDesign.com :

"Left-click on the BSP surface to select it. Press F4 to go to Surface Properties.

In the window you will be able to set lightmap resolution. The only thing you need to know is the lower the value of BSP Lightmap resolution, the better it will look. Which is opposite of Static Mesh lightmaps."

Use only powers of 2 (ie. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64). I belive the default for BSP is 32, which looks like poo.

Large BSP surfaces also suffer from bad shadow resolution especially if multiple light sources are contributing shadows. Solution, break large BSP surfaces, so instead of having 1x 2048 UU square surface, have 4x 1024 UU squares.

In addition, lights may have the following variables:
MinShadowResolution
MaxShadowResolution
ShadowFadeResolution
ShadowDistance

Obvious tweeks there.

Sgt.NightFire

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 26, 2006
I tried some tweaking with the shadow res, fade res and such, and this seems to have fixed it!