Strange computer problem

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SnotRocket

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
I've just recently started having this problem. All my media players are starting to take forever to start up. Just the media players. I mean, even winamp takes forever now.

I've done a spyware scan with Webroot Spy Sweeper, and a virus scan with NOD32, so I know it's none of those.

Any suggestions?

Tak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2006
East Coast, USA
Have you tried to update any drivers recently? Have you done any major file-shifting lately? When was the last time you defragged? How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house?

Bullitt

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Washington DC
lol kong installed somthing like a 200 viruses on his computer and had to reinstall windows due to downloading game cracks from a really shady website:D I laughed hard when he came running to me for help

Dr. Peter Venkman

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 21, 2006
California
I've just recently started having this problem. All my media players are starting to take forever to start up. Just the media players. I mean, even winamp takes forever now.

I've done a spyware scan with Webroot Spy Sweeper, and a virus scan with NOD32, so I know it's none of those.

Any suggestions?

Download Spybot: Search & Destroy, and Adaware.

Scan with those.

Download HijackThis

Run a scan and save a log, then paste the log into www.hijackthis.de

Do the scans with Spybot and Adaware while in safe mode. With Hijackthis, once you get the log info, print it out, and then go into safe mode and delete the bad stuff.

Grobut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
Installed any Codec packs lately? theres some pretty bad ones out there, though i dont know of any that contain actual scumware, some of them tend to conflict with themselves and XP, and can cause the sort of thing you describe.