• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

'Story Mode' GameType

Alex_KF

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
storymodelogo.jpg

(v0.55)

New to story mapping? Learn how to make a story map here

Story Mode Maps

a map by 'Alex_KF'.

nsthumb.jpg

Experience the first specimen outbreak from the perspective of Horzine's security team

a map by 'Fel' and 's281'.

bridgek.jpg

Try to get from one end of a bridge to the other while fighting nonstop ZEDs along the way!

If you are making a map that uses my story code let me know and I'll put it in this thread :)

Hello again !

I'm here with another little mod project for your killing pleasure :)

Since KF was released there have been loads of community maps that were focused around story-driven gameplay. The trouble is that at the time of release there was never a viable code framework to base these maps around, so they relied on crazy (and in some cases quite clever) work-arounds and hacks to work. In the last week or two I've been developing an alternate game-mode tailored specifically for people who want to create story maps.

Current Features

========================================================================================

- A New Zombie Volume that can do stuff like spawn zombies on a timer, or spawn specific quantities & different types of zombies.

- A 'Checkpoint' System that is very easy to set up and allows mappers to set areas where players should 'save' their progress. With the option to re spawn the entire team from the last checkpoint if they die.

- An Objective system Somewhat similar to UT2k4's 'assault' objective system, with the added simplicity of only requiring a single actor. These objective actors can be configured to present players with several different styles of objective. Like 'Look at something', or 'Stay alive for a certain amount of time' , etc. These objectives render on the player's HUD using the trader arrow system.

- Removed trader chatter - As much as we all love the trader's awkward sexual advances, her repetitive nature can get in the way of a story map's atmosphere. So she's been disabled ..

- Story-friendly Trader menu - I Removed elements that weren't relevant to story play (Wave countdown etc) and created a custom shop volume that allows Level designers to specify the items they want their shop to stock directly (no need for a level rules actor).

- Better way of displaying Dialogue - Alot of story missions rely on text / dialogue to progress the plot. I created a simple actor that displays wrapped dialogue or text on the local player's HUD using the rendering code for hints. It's sexier than messagetriggers, for sure.

========================================================================================

Planned Features

- 'Custom Ammo Pickups that can be configured to refill only specific weapons ...

- INSERT YOUR IDEA HERE -

Download the latest version of this mode with the link above. The zip includes a very basic (and colourful!) test map to show you how the new actors need to be set up. To open the map offline use the command open KFS-Test?Game=KFStoryGame.KFStoryGameinfo .

Note : Source code has also been included as well, in case you wanna see how I set it up.

Last edited:
It works with any number of players. In fact, it's been designed specifically for that. Let's say everyone dies on the team but one guy and that guy reaches a checkpoint... he will re-spawn everyone who was spectating.

Nah I'm talking about solo play, no team mates at all, if you die then, will it respawn you at the checkpoint?

Falidell released something similar to that I guess, and I'm pretty sure the map just ends if you die on solo.

Upvote 0
Awesome.

Im actually working on a singleplayer horror / mission map with a friend atm, and we found the ammo boxes a bit of an issue. The thing is, they give ammo to ALL weapons you are carrying at the time, and we want to give ammo ONLY for a specific weapon (eg. 9mm). Using the singleammo pickup or w/e it was called didnt work.

Would be great if you could whip up an ammobox that only gave ammo to a specific weapon, and instead of spawning randomly it would always be there until picked up and wouldnt respawn anymore. Or point us to the right direction and we might be able to do it ourselves (altho our skills are very limited).

Also that Objective arrow thing is gonna be extremely useful, just few days ago I was complaining that its gonna be hard to make sure that people actually find our objectives in the map, especially without any visible objective list to see your current objective (altho might be able to make a work around with script messages...)

Upvote 0
Nah I'm talking about solo play, no team mates at all, if you die then, will it respawn you at the checkpoint?

Falidell released something similar to that I guess, and I'm pretty sure the map just ends if you die on solo.

@smiff

don't want to state the obvious but if you haven't reached the checkpoint then surely, solo or with a team, you will not spawn there, but I am quite sure you sill spawn at the last 'saved' checkpoint.

@Alex

man, this is absolutely amazing and will add so much to the game. I know Fel and the team have been working hard at getting mission mode stuff going and I applaud them but this really is going to be a foot forward in the way of new gameplay.

Thanks! I may even start mapping again now

Upvote 0
Awesome.

Im actually working on a singleplayer horror / mission map with a friend atm, and we found the ammo boxes a bit of an issue. The thing is, they give ammo to ALL weapons you are carrying at the time, and we want to give ammo ONLY for a specific weapon (eg. 9mm). Using the singleammo pickup or w/e it was called didnt work.

Would be great if you could whip up an ammobox that only gave ammo to a specific weapon, and instead of spawning randomly it would always be there until picked up and wouldnt respawn anymore. Or point us to the right direction and we might be able to do it ourselves (altho our skills are very limited).

Also that Objective arrow thing is gonna be extremely useful, just few days ago I was complaining that its gonna be hard to make sure that people actually find our objectives in the map, especially without any visible objective list to see your current objective (altho might be able to make a work around with script messages...)

are you quite sure that the ammo pickups for each individual weapons don't work? I have placed them in my test maps plenty of times and they all work fine.

Obviously I meant after the player has reached the checkpoint...

heheh sorry smiffy ;)

Upvote 0
They give ammo yeah, but to ALL weapons you have, not the individual weapon.

ahh, weapon boxes do but I mean individual ammo pickups, ie CrossbowAmmoPickup. If you place this in your map, it is only set to give you ammo for the crossbow, as long as you are carrying one.

plus

@Hateme

you can do this yourself by putting in a KFRandomitemspawn and in the list, only have the type of ammo pickups that want to randomly appear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A single player dying in standalone play or the whole team dying on a server .. same result. If you've reached a checkpoint, you (or your team) will get a second lease on life. The only time you will see the 'Game over' screen is if you (or your team) dies before reaching the first checkpoint.

This sort of stuff is difficult to explain with text though, try the test map out in solo-play and see for yourself :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ahh, weapon boxes do but I mean individual ammo pickups, ie CrossbowAmmoPickup. If you place this in your map, it is only set to give you ammo for the crossbow, as long as you are carrying one.

Are you sure about that? Because I've tried that many times with several different ammo types and the ammo pickup just acts like a normal KFAmmoPickup box (giving ammo to all weapons).

Maybe I'm missing a setting or something, care to test again and if it works as intended then show us how it's done?

A single player dying or the whole team dying .. same result. If you've reached a checkpoint, you (or your team) will get a second lease on life. The only time you will see the 'Game over' screen is if your team dies before reaching the first checkpoint.

Ah, sweet.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that the default weapon ammo pick ups give ammo to all weapons. I ran into this problem a while back with a mod. They all act like ammo boxes.

Also @ Alex, Thanks for your continued support , we have been needing something like this for a long time. I hope TWI will seriously take a look at this and Falidel's trigger pack. They offer so much to the mapping community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can confirm that the default weapon ammo pick ups give ammo to all weapons. I ran into this problem a while back with a mod. They all act like ammo boxes.

Also @ Alex, Thanks for your continued support , we have been needing something like this for a long time. I hope TWI will seriously take a look at this and Falidel's trigger pack. They offer so much to the mapping community.

damn, sorry smiff but you are right, can't believe I never noticed it before, I think I just assumed it worked, as I tested it on a weapon I was making and was holding at the same time.

apologies. but I will have a look through the code to see why it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great toolset! I wonder - could it be programmed to automatically change loadouts at checkpoints as well? I've a friend who was fooling around and wanted to start people out with a LAR no matter what, and then automatically give them a shotgun for a tunnel part. Just wondering if this could be an easy way to apply.

That could be done, yes. Although .. what would stop you from just leaving a bunch of shotguns on the ground near the tunnel for players to find?

This is purely personal opinion here, but I much prefer finding / purchasing weapons than having them magically appear in my hands. Maybe just a custom weapon pickup actor that re-spawned immediately after it was pickup up so the whole team could re-supply? From some of the other posts in this thread it already sounds like the weapon / ammo pickup system will be my next port of call ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
damn, sorry smiff but you are right, can't believe I never noticed it before, I think I just assumed it worked, as I tested it on a weapon I was making and was holding at the same time.

apologies. but I will have a look through the code to see why it doesn't work.

All ammo pickups derive from KFAmmoPickup, and that is coded to give ammo for all weapons. You'll have to override the Touch function to only give it to its respective weapon.

Upvote 0
Community poll time -

How do we feel about randomized ammo / weapon spawning ?

Like .. I place 20 ammo pickups but only 5 of them spawn at once cuz i'm playing on Suicidal difficulty, etc. Is this something that the majority of you would like to keep for your story missions ? Or would you like it removed / tweaked

Upvote 0