• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

StG44 in 1942?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except it's not, is it? The German army was encircled completely at that point. They weren't even getting the amount of food and water they needed, let alone experimental weapons.

EDIT: Yay for disliking facts?

Yes it is. The weapon had been in field trials on the eastern front (both Haenel and Walther models) before the Haenel spec was finalised and it was put into production in larger numbers. Let's stop discussing it shall we? It's in there whether you or I like it or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought we already had this debate. Thousands of these guns were made and were shipped to the Eastern Front, and some ended up in Stalingrad. It's NOT historically accurate to leave them out. The game isn't called "Heroes of what the majority of soldiers had in Stalingrad." We've got pictures of soldiers using them IN Stalingrad. But like I've said before, if even 1 of these weapons made it into the time frame of our game, its good enough for me. And in this case thousands of them were on the Eastern Front, and many were in Stalingrad.

Upvote 0
I think the issue will hinge on how frequently these things are seen in combat. If it is an exclusive, rare weapon then it will be a nice addition; but if a significant portion of a German team on a given map can be equipped with them then it will create a serious realism concern.
The fact that Tripwire took the time to research and model the MKB42 (which I had not even heard of until posting a similar comment to this thread in the news section) instead of just throwing in an Stg44 demonstrates a commitment to realism that bodes well for an appropriate (very limited) distribution of this weapon in game.

Upvote 0
I thought we already had this debate. Thousands of these guns were made and were shipped to the Eastern Front, and some ended up in Stalingrad. It's NOT historically accurate to leave them out. The game isn't called "Heroes of what the majority of soldiers had in Stalingrad." We've got pictures of soldiers using them IN Stalingrad. But like I've said before, if even 1 of these weapons made it into the time frame of our game, its good enough for me. And in this case thousands of them were on the Eastern Front, and many were in Stalingrad.

/thread

Upvote 0
As long as it's a rare weapon in the game (a maximum of 1-3 MKB's per round), I'm fine with it. I'm sure that, when the game gets released, hardly anyone will have the MKB anyway. The question is, will almost every player be a 'Hero' five months after release (thus increasing the number of MKB's seen)?

I think the rank system will be dynamic and only 5% of all online players can reach Hero status or only 2 players per one server can be a hero. Also there is no confirmation that only Heroes can get rare weapons. I still think that number of elite classes will be fixed and won't change no matter how many heroes will be on server.

Upvote 0
Good enough for me. Bring on the guns!

Upvote 0
thread summary:

Well they (Tripwire) said somewhere that they have found a source that proves the Mkb was used in Stalingrad (orly?)

rammrage2.gif

We've got pictures of soldiers using them IN Stalingrad.

Can you guys post those as there are loads of debates about the possibilities of a mkb42 in stalingrad in general and some pictures would end those.

\thread ?

while most all of us trust TW's word that they researched, a picture is worth a thousand words isn't it?

hmmmmm, must be a reason why they can't show them......the non-faithful would say that they don't exist.....i DON'T believe that so there must be another reason, so let the speculation begin!

They can't because I'm sure that the soldiers in those pics had their sleeves rolled up.

:IS2:

i think fedorov is on to something :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no, its oh i want to see these pics as well so that i can see it with my own eyes because as cool as tripwire might be. Seeing stuff for yourself is the only real way to make it clear to people.

I personally hope for 1 mkb max per round. roost already had too many automatics, there is just something special with bolt action gameplay.

Upvote 0
Yes it is. The weapon had been in field trials on the eastern front (both Haenel and Walther models) before the Haenel spec was finalised and it was put into production in larger numbers. Let's stop discussing it shall we? It's in there whether you or I like it or not.

Fewer than ten were issued to the German army in early 1942, the only time in which it would make sense for the 6th Army to receive them.

Sure, we can stop now.

EDIT:mad:bswearer Was that all made in paint? The CoD part was hilarious. That look...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you guys saying they should post these pics otherwise they're talking out their ***?

Come on you're more mature than this.

no, we're saying that TW should post the pictures so that people who claim "the mkb42 was never used in stalingrad" will stop thinking that TW is just talking out their asses. ;)

i believe them regardless, it's TW being able to fully convince everyone that would stop them debating once and for all.

edit:
EDIT:mad:bswearer Was that all made in paint? The CoD part was hilarious. That look...

i didn't make it.....got it from this thread

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
no, we're saying that TW should post the pictures so that people who claim "the mkb42 was never used in stalingrad" will stop thinking that TW is just talking out their asses. ;)

Well, thing is that these "thousands" (11.800 to be more accurate) of Mkb.42's that have been produced have been produced between Nov. 1942 and Sept. (some sources say Feb-mid) 1943, which would make them impossible to see in Stalingrad... unless they dropped a crate or two via the air bridge. The first combat trials were held in April 1943 afaik.

The first couple of weapons that were handed out to the Heer for trials in july 1942 were probably going to the next shooting range and the Mkb.42 only started to show up in any significant quantities by early '43.

While I may not be happy with the choice of the Mkb.42, I still think that they will be a nice addition to the game. I absolutely understand anyone being against them though and also would like to see this pictorial evidence which has been thoroughly researched (we all know it's very easy to misdate or misplace pictures) for the simple reason of interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.