• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics StG44;Auto or Semi?

In most cases you have to shoot the enemy as fast as possible before he does the same to you. In semi mode you have to use extra fraction of second to make sure you hit in the right spot because if you don't you often don't get a second chance. In auto mode you can fire faster to the general direction of the enemy and if you know how to compensate the recoil it is almost certain that you score multiple hits to the enemy in a very short time, i.e. before he has a chance to aim and shoot you.

"In most cases" is true if you're playing on maps like Danzig. However, on most of the larger maps, taking your time to aim pays off. On smaller maps, one could argue that the MP-40 is a better choice.

Upvote 0
I always try to select the assault trooper class if there's STG44 choice in the map - and I also pick up STG44 from the ground if I see one. This is partly because I belive an assault rifle is a handy crossover of a submachine gun and a rifle. History has proven it since 1947, huh?

I usually switch it to semi-auto when I spawn (and that is often, because I die so often, he he). That's unless I'm indoors or somewhere where there's lots of corners and tight places where the enemy might pop up to you close.

I favour this weapon though I have problems with it. I believe, that in reality it was a good weapon, but in RO (to me) it seems to be a piece of **** compared to the submachine guns. To me and my lousy PC the STG44 seems quite laggy no matter which firing mode I use.

Upvote 0
If you have an StG you should either be inside the capzone or outside their spawn. There is no reason to be in semi auto in those situations.

Shooting at long range at enemies advancing on the cap zone? How about actually traveling to and making the first attacks at entrenched enemies in the cap? Again, on larger maps semi-auto is useful.

Some may even prefer to use semi auto in close quarters too.

Upvote 0
I generally stick to full auto, however, if I'm defending a dug in position, with either sand bags or craters, and the enemy have to travel quite a distance, I'll generally switch to semi, just to keep a check on the amount of ammo I'm using. Cos, I mean, you get what, 5 mags? 5 mags goes pretty quick on fully auto when defending an entrenched position and shooting at medium-long range (even firing in bursts of about 3 rounds). But yea, generally I'm happy with firing fully auto.

Upvote 0
I do know 300 meters. When you have little tiny specks, more blobs of color than anything else it is 300 meters. Yes it is entered into the long range spectrum, though it's not an impossible shot, you just need to airm correctly, adding to your aiming spot for bullet drop. It works best for stationary targets, natrurally.

Upvote 0
I treat the StG as the holy grail of infantry weapons (and this coming from a sniper type who is extremely reluctant to move closer to their enemy than absolutely necessary), because it more or less is. It's the perfect compromise. If I see one lying around, no matter which side I'm on or what I'm carrying (bar another StG), I will pick it up. As a result, I use it on both, with no real way of telling how long I spend in each. If I think I need to take carefully-aimed shots, I put it on semi (I click slowly when I'm taking aimed shots, to avoid jolting my mouse - someone needs to make a mouse with an analogue 'trigger' button, seriously). If I'm firing at targets close by or in large numbers, I fire short bursts, usually two to four shots. The only thing that could possibly make me love the thing more was if someone put an StG m/ ZF4 ingame (I know the Germans did use that combination, though I'm not sure in what numbers).

Upvote 0
its just that the ppsh spits out a lot more bullets at a time than the stg44 does. this adds up

I usually use the STG44 in single shot, but if I'm going into a building I'll switch it to FA. I find you can tap out 3-4 shots in single mode almost as quick as in FA, and its more controllable than a 3-4 shot FA burst would be.

I use the PPSH for its 71 round mag, if your runnin and gunnin(TM) through several rooms in a row you dont need to stop and reload mid-spray. Also On some maps like danzig, in the ground floor of the command center behind the barrels, you can stabilize it enough to use it as a LLMG( Light Light MG...) to cover the door. The 30 round SMG are OK, but u run out of bullets.

Upvote 0