• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steel Beasts-2 & 7GTK Server

jeffduquette

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
Sunday morning, I decided to give the Steel Beats-"2" mutator being played on the 7GTK Server another try out. This is the server that was running the extremely horrible Steel Beasts-1 mutator last weekend in which German projectile penetration capability (or Russian Armor thickness values) were horribly out of whack.

Well they apparently did a fair bit of tweaking to their armor mutator over the last week, as the Steel Beats-2 Mutator seems to be getting more in line with reality. Moreover I wasn’t subjected to eighteen of my 75mm pzgr39/42 shells bouncing off the rear and flank of an IS-2 from a range of less than 800meters.

The Steel Beasts-2 Mutator “feels” and plays much better than the 7GTKs original rendition of Steel Beasts. However, I still think the compounded angle effects are being over blown as to their effects on projectile penetration capability. But in this regard it doesn’t feel much different than stock RO.

One thing of particular note for those that like playing the Axis is that the Steel Beats 2 map uses the Late War Tiger-1. This uses the duel magnification gunsight. In addition, I think only Tiger Tank Commanders have duel magnification capability for their binoculars – although I might be wrong on this latter bit.

The only other gripe I have is that the server seems to only play two or three versions of Keystone’s Original – and excellent -- Debrecen Map. Moreover 7GTK has moved some terrain around and placed some of the objectives in different locations. There are some nice contour changes in areas which add a few new tactical options to players. But the maps are essentially Debrecen with a lot more Tigers, IS2s and Panthers. It would be interesting if they would try other maps using their Steel Beasts-2 Mutator – Keystones Pripet or Orel or Foo’bar’s AZ.