• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam only?

Personally because i live in europe, and nobody seems to use creditcards over here (i actually dont know anyone beside my parents who even own a creditcard :p). All those visa cards etc are not here and i've never seen a gift card in my entire life.

Although i can buy stuff using paypal by using money transfer from my bank.
I live in Europe. I have a creditcard. Every person I know has a creditcard. Either you're very young, or it's like that in the Netherlands and no where else. Like saying "everyone in Europe smokes pot at the local Starbucks". :)

Off topic.

On topic, not a big fan of Steam either. I've had to reinstall it numerous times.

Upvote 0
I live in Europe. I have a creditcard. Every person I know has a creditcard. Either you're very young, or it's like that in the Netherlands and no where else. Like saying "everyone in Europe smokes pot at the local Starbucks". :)

Off topic.

On topic, not a big fan of Steam either. I've had to reinstall it numerous times.
I have a credit card aswell, acquired only recently though.

The majority of the Europeans have a debetcard, in Holland this is called a betaalkaart/pinpas.
You can pay with it through PayPal, but it shouldn't take long before the Dutch iDEAL internet payment system will operate on European level.
The major advantage of this system is that it actually is integrated in the online banking interface of your own bank.

You simply select your bank, you login on your online banking account and pay through your own bank's interface.
That means that the login process is actually also the same as your online banking account, I need to use my Digipass code generator I was given by my bank.

I hope Steam will be one of the early adaptors of this system, it's really quick and more secure than even PayPal and has a wider audience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you think you anti steam nuts have it bad... try being like us no windows nuts. I loved this game as a mod that would work on linux. but now me and my friends are going to be left out without the ability to play at all.

"i feel robbed" lol

never mind
have a good game guys.

Bunnykinx :D

i guess the mod full of bugs will be left for people like us.

Upvote 0
I know this is a fairly old thread but I thought I'd post my views on steam.

I don't like steam, I feel that it's something I have to put up with if I buy a game off them.

For example, the steam community system pops up the notifications in the bottom right hand corner, and you can't change that. However, this is where many strategy games have their control panels so if you want to play a strategy game on steam you either have to put up with groping around blindly for an order whenever a friends notification pops up or turn of the steam community system. I'm sure they've had numerous complaints about it and they've been selling strategy games for a couple of years now yet it remains unchanged.

Another example is the 'notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases and upcoming releases option'. For a start, news about games I own and advertising are two entirely seperate catagories, there's no reason they should be combined. Not only that, but the game updates hardly ever seem to get updated and most of the game updates I don't get notified about while you get new adverts popping up several times a week.

It has numerous other issues like the way it installs itself silently to run on startup without asking permission, the version system (or rather lack of), the lack of an option to shut it down when I'm done with it and of course, games that have mysteriously stopped working because the authentication server has gone down and the people trying to run the game haven't been told.

And then the ridiculous price of the games, Empire: Total war in

Upvote 0
For example, the steam community system pops up the notifications in the bottom right hand corner, and you can't change that. However, this is where many strategy games have their control panels so if you want to play a strategy game on steam you either have to put up with groping around blindly for an order whenever a friends notification pops up or turn of the steam community system. I'm sure they've had numerous complaints about it and they've been selling strategy games for a couple of years now yet it remains unchanged.

Tell your friends to stop logging on and off of games so frequently?

Honestly, the only time I see that thing being used a lot is if a buddy is having issues getting a game to run. But I dont play games with controls in that corner either, so I cant really say it wouldnt be a problem. Dont think it will be a problem with this game though

As far as the prices for games on the system, well, you are not forced to purchase through Steam. Buy it retail if that is where it is cheaper.

As stated, most the "other" problems can be set in your options. You can close Steam completely with "EXIT", located under "FILE" in the menu.

Upvote 0