• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Steam Holiday ("Christmas") Sale 2014

So tell us what you got, or planning to get.

I am not really interested in anything atm :( Also I think after all those years with crazy deals they try to train us back to higher prices. For example Rise of Nations is in a featured deal and it is 50% off. A few weeks ago it was 75% off.
Another example is Batman Origins. The two prequels both got Game of the Year editions (aka all DLC included) which previously went on sale for 7,50€. Batman Origins had a season pass and some random DLCs (which might be included into the season pass, don't really know).
Because the game was so buggy at launch (maybe it still is) it never got a Game of the Year edition. Which means even with yesterdays featured discount you would have paid 10€, if you wanted the entire game (Base game + Season pass). So even on sale Batman Origins is more expensive than the two prequels, and it is the inferior game.

Conspiracy anyone?

EDIT: Rise of Nations is now 75%, weird how the proper discounts don't show up right away.

Last edited:
It feels a bit disappointing this year, the whole theme, layout and time of flash deals and voting feels a bit halfhearted. I rather enjoyed the Christmas auction and won two games but the sale does feel a bit of a let down.

I've been waiting for Batman Arkham Origins GOTY edition for a while but like you say it probably won't happen. Also tempted by Borderlands 2 but there is too much DLC and the GOTY doesn't contain all the DLC seriously puts me off. Dishonored DLC and Skyrim DLC is still too high and punishes those who bought the games on release rather than those who wait a few years for the cheaper GOTY editions. It's a really really scummy practice and makes me not want to buy games at release any more.

Some games like Deadfall Adventures are a ridiculous price, it's an budget FPS with average reviews. It's on sale at 60% off

Upvote 0
Hmm, as far as Dishonored DLC goes only the The Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches are worth it (the "story" DLCs). Didn't enjoy or care for the rest of the DLCs a bit. I got the retail Dishonored GOTYE a while back so it was a bit more expensive than on steam, but it is a really great game so it was absolutely worth it :IS2:

And Skyrim, after almost 80 hours I didn't anywhere get near the DLC content, that game is too big for me.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is another story, I got the game + DLC before the Directors Cut version was released, so now I had to pay even more (more is a relative term here) money to get the Directors Cut version where the DLC is integrated directly into the game and not kept as a separate launcher. In the end, I didn't even bother to install the game, have too many other games to play already.

In general DLC often keeps me from buying games at launch, the wait is worth it. Especially since all games are buggy on launch nowadays.

And actually I am glad the whole thing is a bit halfhearted this year. All these events are a bit gimmicky for my taste.

But if anyone wants to trade "trading cards" feel free to do it :p

EDIT: Killing Floor is actually another example for a bad deal, the game itself is 75% but in recent history I can't remember a sale where the DLC was discounted below 50%. Effectively the result of this is that TWI sells you the game cheap and if you like it and want more it gets rather expensive and they earn their money (dosh) from the "overpriced" DLCs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0