• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Client Bootstrapper

MoparMan

Mar 24, 2006
I get this message after the latest steam update.
"Steam Client Bootstrapper (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@winslave04)

I've reinstalled steam and it still occurs.

I've also deleted all the files except steam apps and steam.exe and updated but still have the problem.

What is the fix?

Mike... thanks for the reply.

I tried updating to the beta and Steam still crashes.
I even tried reinstalling Steam and Steam beta in safe mode but it still crashes ...ingame or just Steam idle while logged on.
Going on 4 weeks with Steam support and they never thought to try installing the latest Steam.
I've really enjoyed playing on your server but it doesn't look like I'm going to again anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Steam still crashes

"Steam Client Bootstrapper (buildbot_winslave04_steam_steam_rel_client_win32@ winslave04)
has stopped working.

I've done everything Steam suggested me to try.
They are now saying it's my Webroot Anti-virus firewall that causes Steam to crash.
I'm tired of Steam not helping me and blaming other programs for their software not working.
Now with Rising Strom released ... I'M REALLY MISSING PLAYING THIS GAME!
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I've been running Steam and Webroot simultaneously for years and never any problems.
I've shut down Webroot and the problem still exists.
Steam will run for about 10 minutes while downloading RO2 and then stop working (error message.)
First the said it was Nvidia Network Access Manager and now Webroot.
Why would Webroot be the issue, it never was for 3 years?

Upvote 0
Fix Steam Client Bootstrapper Not Responding Issue
Before performing the recommended troubleshooting steps for this particular problem I suggest that you try restarting your computer first. This will refresh the operating system as well as remove corrupt temporary data and is quite effective in fixing most software related issues.

There are several factors that can cause this particular problem ranging from a corrupted file to a hardware issue. Listed below are the recommended troubleshooting steps you need to do to fix this problem.

Disconnect the Xbox 360 controller
One of the main factors that can cause this problem is the Xbox controller connected to the computer. This appears to be a bug in the software.

• Press Windows + R button to open the Run application.
  • Type “taskmgr”. This will open the Task Manager.
  • Search for different Steam processes which are running and close them one by one.
  • Once you have closed all the processes disconnect your controller from the port and close all the applications open which manage the controller hardware. Refresh your screen and proceed with the next step to opt out of Steam beta.
  • What opting out of beta actually means is opting out of updates until they are officially launched. There are both pros and cons of the beta phase.
  • Open your Steam client and in the upper left corner you will see an option named “Steam”. Click it and navigate to settings.
  • When you are in the settings, click the tab named “Account”. Here you will see an option named “Beta participation”. Make sure that your client isn’t part of any beta phases. Click the option and you will see a drop down window allowing you to select your option.
  • Select the option which says “NONE- Opt out of all beta programs”. Close Steam and open task manager to end all the Steam processes. Restart your computer and open Steam again. If your client was part of a beta program, it will install some updates before you can play your games again.
  • If you face any problem while opting out of beta you can browse to your directory and delete the beta files from there. The default location for your steam folder should be “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam”. Press the Win + R button. This should pop-up the Run application. In the dialogue box write “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam”.
  • Browse to a folder named “Packages” and delete all the files that start with beta. Close the window and after starting the client again, follow the method on how to opt out beta mentioned in step number 4.
Check if the Steam client bootstrapper not responding issue still occurs.

Upvote 0