• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Staticmesh edges doing weird things.

If those static meshes are in pieces, it could be that they moved just a tad and you'll have to reposition them. It could also be that a small section of that static mesh is missing, if it was designed in pieces. For me I always try to overlap any seams when doing static meshes. A few pixels off is all it takes for things to go amuck.

If you cannot redo the static mesh easily, then try these;

I'd save the map, then move a section, and then save it again if you get a section to become good. Saving alot is important. if you have autosave turned on, that will be a big plus as well.

It could be that they are just a fraction back too far, or too far foward. If its associated with a door way, you might have to adjust the geometry just a tad to get that effect to go away. So if you added or subtracted in that area, move that brush just a tad, rebuild geometry and lighting and see if it goes away. Then if it does, make sure nothing else went amuck when you moved brushes.

The UNREAL engine is kind of funky at times. some times what you see isn't the issue at all. I have had static meshes with issues, and come to find out it was caused by a pillar or staircase that was too close to the same wall.

After I add static meshes, I always rebuild geometry and lighting to see if the issue goes away.

You can try this ; Simply take that static mesh and place it in the middle of an open area and see if it shows the same error.

if it does, its the static mesh or the way the map environment is - something is affecting it adversely.

Copy that static mesh, close your map, and open up any other map, and place that static mesh on that map. Does it show the same effect?

Don't save the map you just opened, close it down and reopen your map. Worse case do a rebuild all on your map.

Sometimes static meshes are built for a specific purpose and may not work well in other situations. If it continues to bug you, ensure there is a solid wall behind the static mesh, that it is not penetrating the void, and paint the wall behind the static mesh black and see what happens.

if that doesnt work, then make a horizontal piece, or a small sheet, probably 4x4x height of the area (say 64) pixels wide (left to right) and place it over the affected area to cover it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds to me that you are talking about lighting issues since StaticMeshes are vertex lit.

Spoiler!

But anyways, I tried loads of things and nothing. I will try to chamfer a bit these 90

Upvote 0