• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Static Models (Beginner)

Rospantern

Sep 25, 2014
Hi all.

I am a newcomer to the forum but a long time fan of RO1 & 2.
Lately I decided to learn how do model buildings or at least try to, so I thought it would be smart idea to sign up here and learn from those who already now how to model. I know that I wont learn everything over night but all feedback are appreciated.

I've looked around in several threads here on the forum and there are lots of good info and tips here.

I do have a question and hopefully someone can answer it :)

- When creating a static model such as a building what do I have to take in mind when creating it for RO2? Size, textures, collision and so on.

Since I'm a beginner I downloaded a Free modeling software called Blender.
For the moment I'm just playing around with it trying to learn how to use it, watching videos and reading tutorials.

My first creation, trying to model the Brandenburg Gate :)

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Unreal Developers Network is a good place to start:

[url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/StaticMeshHome.html[/URL]

The LOD (level of detail) for meshes doesn't work terribly well in Blender if I remember right (been awhile). Best to import ASE files for each directly into the SDK's static mesh browser.

In addition to UV mapping, don't forget to make a lightmap and collision model for any static mesh you wish to import. For simple meshes, the SDK does a decent job of creating Lightmaps for you. Fot the "gate", I would suggest breaking the columns up as instaces (each one is the same mesh), or even as a group. If you don't make a collision model, you can always add Blocking Volumes, but if you intend to use the mesh multiple times a collision model is best.

For RO2, a 5k polycount is a big mesh, divide by 2 or more for each step down for LODs.

For LOD0 (highest polycount) a set of 2048x2048 textures for Diffuse (paint), Specular (reflection) and Normal map (bump) is pretty standard. You may even have an Opacity map (trasparency). These should either be eliminated on higher LODs and/or replaced with smaller textures (1024x1024 or 512 x 512).

Have fun. Modelling is the fun part. Unwrapping, texuring, and creating LODS more difficult, atleast for me :D

Upvote 0
hey, you model looks good so far. have fun and good luck with learning blender. Twrecks tipps are a nice start. most important stuff, is keeping it going.

if you have problems on import i think we can help you. with blender self, idk who in the forum is using it. but the idea for meshes is in all the 3ds software the same. mesh, collision, uv map, textur (and maybe rig + animation).

dont be shy to ask, if you got any problems.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

For now I am just learning how to make a good mesh and to get a natural feel about it, unwrapping, texturing, and creating LODS will be the next step when I feel ready :)

I also decided that creating the Brandenburg gate might be a big job for a beginner so currently I am working on a German bunker.

I'd like some feedback on how I can improve it. should I add something?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Upvote 0
hey,

well if you model the brandenburger tor an bunker, doenst makes a huge difference. but on the gate you only need to map 1 of this huge pillars. and left and right is the same. so the brandenburger tor, is maybe easier.
from my view on, a bunker, house or something like that, can confuses you always when you working on uv's. it confused me a lot in the beginning. But overall, its alaways a good idea to work with the uv's as far as possible, to avoid confusing later.

maybe some other tipps.
You can export multiple meshes as 1 fbx without a lightmap IN THE BEGINNING, for testing your model ingame (but do not expect nice shadows ^^).

You are able to assign more than 1 or 2 materials. Specalliy a Bunker, that is a building, you could use different materials for doors, walls, floor etc. depens how much you need.

Your wirframe looks good, but some edges are hard to follow. can you also post a "full shaded" screenshot, like the brandenburger tor. Be sure you use Quads, Faces or Polygons (All the same) as much as possible to stay in the flow ;). the edgeflow of course.

greetz Sp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd mock it up in game with BSP, checking that MGs can be deployed and players can enter/exit the doorway. Right now the slits look too narrow vertically to be used, even if accurate to real life. That way you will know the units/scale/size is right before you UV map.

Leave the "floor" off. It can be made with a BSP brush, wood floor mesh or just plain terrain (dirt). Let the walls drop further into the ground, in case the terrain the bunker is being placed on is not level/flat. Keep the Z zero of the model where the floor should be.

Make only 1 ladder rung, create instances for the entire ladder for export. Less unwrapping, UV space required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry but I feel like an idiot when I ask this.... Quads, faces and polygons im not entirely sure what they are :confused:

I've read a bit from the link Twreck sent but I haven't seen anything about those yet, I am learning this on my spare time so I am a slow learner.

Screenshot_1.jpg

You said "some edges are hard to follow" If you mean the corners and the roof then yes, I am currently trying to figure out how to make them smoother without to much work but we'll see :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No worries, everything is really hard in the beginning. but comes all by time.
i made a small picture for you, that explains what is what. i hope you can understand it.
about polygons iam not sure, cause depens who you asked he will say something different.

yeah trwecks made a good point of scaling. you should spend some time with simpel cubes (do not need texutring for the beginning). to learn about scaling in SDK and setting up blender correct for the sdk. And you should check out how to create a collision model.

or you play with bsp brushes. it depends what you want to do. but if you want to learn blender and 3d modelling, try to avoid BSP brushes.
i hope you dont kill me Trwecks. Hahah :D

so much to learn :D but keep on and dont be worry if you dont understand something :)

greetz

Attachments

• vertex.jpg
    vertex.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
you're in luck, i packed a few weeks ago my Stalag 13 Houses for someone else and i didnt delete the files. in attachment you find my houses. (they have no collision model).
but the rest should be inside. Set collision to default as complex and you should be fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw83ntz0mm6s8nj/houses_mesh.rar?dl=0

greetz

Last edited:
Upvote 0