• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound State_Palace_Sounds

gunslingor

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a little advice and assistance, I haven't been dealing with sound even though I've been mapping a number of years. I gots me a rave map... what do I do about music? Ideally, I'd like each room to play a different genre, ideally in such a manor that people don't notice any repetitiveness for quite a awhile... Ideally (in a dream) I'd like to pipe in music from DI Radio, but that's just a dream. I need some advice and help, I think I have two options, super large music files or tiny tiny sound loops... I think the music files aren't really appropriate...I mean, can you use a famous persons music or is that illegal? I suspect the tiny sound loops are the way to go... but I'm wondering if they can effectively be mixed in game? So, effectively I'd be writing the music in game similar to the way I made the video in game by combining multiple images in a sequence. How big can my loops be before it becomes a hindrance? What about syncing issues? how to make the music fade with distance.... how the hell, lol... I need help, any volunteers to write some bad *** techno with a tiny footprint?

Use sound actors, similar to the way you'd add sound to a map in the first place. There is a map that does this already, disco something I think.

I'd recommend loops to keep map size and memory usage down.

Copywrited material is a no no unless you don't give a crap, and there are plenty of good royalty free stuff you can use.

iirc there is a limit to the number of active sound actors. I want to say 32. So bare that in mind.

Normally I'd recommend against doing something like this. Music is subjective, last thing I'd want is to join a map that has music in, especially music I can't turn down or off should it be to much.

Hope that helps a bit.

Upvote 0
Use sound actors, similar to the way you'd add sound to a map in the first place. There is a map that does this already, disco something I think.

I'd recommend loops to keep map size and memory usage down.

Copywrited material is a no no unless you don't give a crap, and there are plenty of good royalty free stuff you can use.

iirc there is a limit to the number of active sound actors. I want to say 32. So bare that in mind.

Normally I'd recommend against doing something like this. Music is subjective, last thing I'd want is to join a map that has music in, especially music I can't turn down or off should it be to much.

Hope that helps a bit.
Ideally, I want the sound to be controllable yes. I'm thinking I put some sort of trigger next to the turn tables. Ideally is like the user to be able to change the music as well... But... I guess I got a lot to learn about sound.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to make a use trigger activate a sound. Which actor do I use for the sound event and how do I set it up? Basically so the user can activate or deactivate a radio yep thing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to cycle sounds, and In starting to think that's possible with sound emitters and interval settings, but I'm not sure... and figure out how to activate the sound via a trigger... I'm not even sure I'm using the right types of actors. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ideally you could override the existing musicplayer class and turn the events clientside (simulate user instigated music changes on the client rather than server instigated across all clients). Benefits: still uses ogg (better fidelity lower size), music vol still works. Drawbacks: 99% programming, wont be whitelisted due to custom scripts.

Another option that may be possible is to ignore the existing music system and create conditions to change music with a scripted trigger; basically a very simply dynamic music system. This would have the benefits of both systems with none of the drawbacks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually not planning on using music, sound files to reduce file size. I think I can actually create a "mix" using sound emitters or other actors, but I can't figure out how to trigger them instead of on all the time. Custom scripts could be white listed, but I dont want to go thru the pain. I know this is possible with generic actors because I've and since lost it, I just don't know which to use and there are two many... man, that would be useful documentation... a wiki page for each generic actor.

Upvote 0
Interesting, I didn't know that. ogg would probably be ideal, but I wouldn't want another separate file... can you make music files in mylevel package? Also, can music be added as sounds? I mean, if ogg is better than wavs, why even have wavs?

ogg is just a compression format, the more you compress, the lower the quality.

wav is (generally) not compressed and high quality. Downside; size
ogg is highly compressed (depending on settings) meaning small size. Downside; low quality.

To be honest, now that we are no longer bound by hardware (small capacity mp3 players and slow internet). Every effort should be made to reduce the use of compression on audio.

Upvote 0
To be honest, now that we are no longer bound by hardware (small capacity mp3 players and slow internet). Every effort should be made to reduce the use of compression on audio.

Quite the opposite. More compression. More efficient and accurate compression is where this needs to go. Let's say KF was UE3 and we're compressing sound instead of downsampling it. The audio footprint would be much smaller and fidelity much higher. Even if we disregard the memory management differences (cached v streaming) this would allow more individual audio at a higher audible quality within the same memory constraints.

Increasing capacity is really no excuse to use it all (looking at a particular OS...).

Upvote 0
Quite the opposite. More compression. More efficient and accurate compression is where this needs to go. Let's say KF was UE3 and we're compressing sound instead of downsampling it. The audio footprint would be much smaller and fidelity much higher. Even if we disregard the memory management differences (cached v streaming) this would allow more individual audio at a higher audible quality within the same memory constraints.

Increasing capacity is really no excuse to use it all (looking at a particular OS...).

Actually, your both wrong =). There will always be a need for the two extremes your each describing, and actually there is plenty of grey in between. So, we need both directions... high fidelity vs. size, the natural trade off. Both will improve with time but they'll always have that trade off. CE.

Upvote 0