• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stat Boost and Perk Experience Gain Discussion

DrearierSpider

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
I thought it would be a good idea to get a separate thread going for this because there's currently very little discussion on this particular point in the Trading Floor Feedback post. Just to be 100% clear, this in reference to the line in the Zedconomy FAQ reading:

Q: Are there consumable items that temporarily boost a stat or perk experience gain?
A: No. There are not currently any items that will boost stats or perk experience gain. We will be listening to player feedback on whether they would like a feature like this.

http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/faq.html

My thoughts:

Perk experience gain: I'll probably be in the minority, but I'd actually be okay with this. That's not to say that I'm requesting it or would even use it (personally, I wouldn't), I just wouldn't have a problem if it were implemented given enough demand. My big concern over these types of systems is that they can be designed and balanced to be incredibly grindy and tedious for non paying players to incentivize that they do so. Since the leveling progression has already been balanced prior to this system, that eliminates my concern and I don't have a problem with players who want to spend a little to get through it more quickly.

Stat boosts: This would actually infuriate me a great deal. I realize the game's still in early access, but the game has needed some major rebalancing since its inception and this would only complicate that further. Not to mention it just feels incredibly cheap to be able to outright pay money for better damage or something along those lines. I could see myself getting really frustrated if, for example, a teammate or group of teammates were able to take down a fleshpound before I knew what was going on because of a system like this. Finally, if the success of cosmetics in titles like CS:GO, LoL and Dota are anything to go by, a system this drastic shouldn't need to be implemented in the first place.

Personally, I'm only in favor of boosts if when they're consumed they also boost everyone else in the server. KF2 is heavily based around cooperative play, and it seems only fair that, like shared content, boosts are shared as well. Again, just my personal feelings about this idea.

I don't think stat boosts are a good idea, honestly. Experience boosts I think are fair game, but it gets into murky territory when we talk stat boosts.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm only in favor of boosts if when they're consumed they also boost everyone else in the server. KF2 is heavily based around cooperative play, and it seems only fair that, like shared content, boosts are shared as well. Again, just my personal feelings about this idea.

I don't think stat boosts are a good idea, honestly. Experience boosts I think are fair game, but it gets into murky territory when we talk stat boosts.

A boost for everyone in the server would be nice and acceptable I guess. While I myself have no gripe against leveling now, I can see some ppl might feel it's too grindy. Maybe instead of putting boosts in the store, you could get boosts from leveling normally, say at lvl's 10 and 20? They also should not be stackable to prevent gaining ie. 70xp from clots.

Buying boosts from the store, be it experience or stats is something I do not want to see.

As for stat boosts in general, no tyvm.

New "sidegrade" weapons, Imo they could be added for free. No purchase required. I'm sure weapon skin and cosmetic sales would generate enough dosh for the weapons to be free. I'm sure the majority of the community will roast you if any of the store weapons even hint of P2W. Which is why not doing store weapons would be beneficial and safe.

Not against the store weapons though as long as they're reasonably priced and indeed are just sidegrades. But even then, how does one create a new sidegrade that is both unique and gives no benefits that the free alternative does not have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
XP boosts aren't needed I think simply because it's straightforward enough already, but stat boosts...In the theme of ZeroSum saying about the whole team getting the boost in question, maybe something that can boost certain stats? Like damage, fire rate or mag capacity as base examples. Team-wide boosts!

Then again I'm thinking mutator or something to spend ingame dosh on, not as booster DLC, so maybe not the place to talk about that!

Upvote 0
Half the fun of this game is levelling and how it's done. About stat boosts: play on 'normal' and you'll feel as if you took every potion on the shop.

On a side note, on how your character improves, I've found that the most fun is had when you get better on what you do such as shooting an assault rifle and getting better at it. Without 'illogical buffs' such as more damage with a firearm or as most RPGs do: punch stuff all day and you'll be the most charismatic person on the world if you choose to be by 'spending points' in it. The "logical" levelling system is what got me hooked on The Elder Scrolls and Killing Floor 1 in the first place.

Upvote 0

Can we get a definitive "no, you will never be able to pay for gameplay advantages", rather than "we don't think its a good idea right now"? Because honestly if not I don't see why I should bother playing this game any further and paying for any future content from your company; I have been burned far too many times on this matter and won't take anything less than an absolute yes/no at face value.

Upvote 0
How would you manage to implement XP boosts into a game that has, at any one time, 15 timbosperktraining servers just waiting for you to throw nades until your arm hurts?

edit: just to clarify, I ain't takin' the piss. I'm looking for a genuine answer here.

+1, that would only make sense for a fraction of the playerbase that care for leveling the proper way but dont have enough time or we get stat reset+whilelisting of some type, either way since i currently have the time and dont mind how long it takes to max out i dont mind exp boosts either way.

stat boosts on the other hand are a big NO, it might be fun to feel more "powerful", but it only last so long till it becomes too easy or unbalanced and not fun to play.

Upvote 0
I'm fine with stat boosts! :D:D:D
On one condition...

They can only be used on Normal, or maybe Normal and Hard (and also any unranked server that allows them).

If you allow players to use stat boosts on ranked Suicidal or HoE, it will make any related achievements meaningless. I remember TWI saying that their goal with HoE was to make a game difficulty they (TWI specifically) were not able to beat.

I could see stat boosts being fun to use on lower difficulties and mod servers.

Upvote 0
To be honnest when the game gets old those thing will probably have to be implemented. Mostly because the gap between new players and old player will be too big and since KF2 is not based arround players skills but mostly arround the Roles and the level of the players - such ways for making the gap between new players and old players must be implemented in order for more people to enjoy the "endgame content".

In KF1 you could have lvl 1 player playing with people on HoE and doing great only by being a good skilled player - in KF2 the low levels really cripple the game because of the skills those players don't bring to the game - not because they are bad players.

So if TWI are going for an RPG casual shooter - then things like XP boosts must be in the store otherwise in a few years the old players will insta kick the new players from their games and the community will be devided between vets and noobs.

Also if you are going to sell XP - do something for the XP grinding maps.

Also do something for the end game because right now I have medic and zerker to lvl 25 and the game is over for me. I play only for enjoyment but 99% of the players are not like me and wan't to lvl up constantly so probably give a way to reset skills to 0 and start over for some swag or something to make people play on all dificulties.

You can see KF1 right now. There are 5 people playing Suicidal, 3 or 4 playing HoE and no one is playing anything else - in my region this is what I get.

I don't know how are TWI going to do that - but IMHO something in that direction must be thought of in order to have any sort of boosts or consumables. And please no wallking speed, reloading speed or other consumables that directly affect the gameplay and makes it easyer - this will be considered Pay 2 win and will be the end of your company since right now all eyes are on how KF2 will do MTs and if they will be fair and a lot of people including me have trusted you and contiune to support KF2 and TWI although TBH I hate MTs in any game. Especially if the game has endless mod - some people will stock on consumables and get to a spot where no one if he don't spend money will ever be able to get. Please don't make people turn on eachother about that - just don't. Remember - I might be in a clan that we chip in for consumable and destroy the ranks, but I might be just a player that enjoys the game and seeing that I have absolutely no way of acheaving what others have acheaved by paying will be a major tunr off. Especially if you do it on a later date when I have allredy been addicted to the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, after all the recent controversy there are so many people actually considering stat and xp boosts to this game!?

I for one would despise this if it were implemented. I played KF when it was just a humble mod and became addicted to it and subsequently kF1. The main reason that I was drawn to this game was the suspense of surviving through waves of enemies with my friends with nothing but our own skill and quick thinking coupled with that feeling of accomplishment seeing myself getting a little bit better each time I played.

Imho, adding xp boosts would just lessen that experience as well as the overall life-span of the game, whilst adding stat boosts (paid or free) would ruin that feeling of accomplishment because you know you are not getting any better by your own skill alone, but by some modifier.

We might as well add a constant health regen boost (do away with the medic) and add that dying clutch game mechanic where you fall to the ground and become invincible, where you must get a kill within a few seconds to resurrect yourself like the 2nd coming of Jesus like every other game seems to be doing now.

Sorry for the salt, i'm very tired, but I need to express my thoughts on this matter, it is a slippery slope.

/end rant

Upvote 0
Personally I'm not on board with having any kind of XP or Stat boosted of any kind. Even if as ZeroSum (remind you he said He feels they are a bad idea in general) suggested that they be shared with the group just like sharable content. This would be about the only way I see it should work (though I would rather gain my xp via grind) and absolutely no stat boosts. I am strongly against the idea of any xp/stat boost being included at all. Expesailly stat boosts. If that's the case then why bother with perk balancing if you can just buff yourself and or team and walk through HoE no problem. Might as well leave all OP weapons and stats as is and buff the hell out of the less powerful weapons. Maybe to harsh but that's how I see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Imo stat or XP boosts should not be implemented in this game, although I agree that the one I'd definitely be mad about would be stat boost. Even if it applies team-wide, I want to play KF2 the way it is, as hard as it is. I would not like the fact that someone can come and change the gameplay just because he purchased something.
About XP boosts, well, if someone wants to level up faster, I can understand. But this how we get unexperienced players in HoE. I don't think it would be a good thing for the game and the community itself.

Upvote 0