• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Started at the University...

So I finally moved into my dorm today. Pretty small, but a decent net connection and a hall of engineers. My friends tell me to hang on to my girlfriend, 18% female population. :eek:

Anyone else started at a uni this year?

I'm in my 2nd of 4 years. I'm doing a bachelor of chemical engineering degree, but uni works a lot different here in australia(and from what my american farther has told me a lot better).

so how long is your degree etc?

Upvote 0
I'm in my 2nd of 4 years. I'm doing a bachelor of chemical engineering degree, but uni works a lot different here in australia(and from what my american farther has told me a lot better).

so how long is your degree etc?

Its different in that way you pay for your degree, in the US and Canada its all up front money with parents cash and students loans. Where as I believe the austrilian gov pays the upfront for you and you pay them back while you work for the rest of your life. I think thats how it works

Upvote 0
Its different in that way you pay for your degree, in the US and Canada its all up front money with parents cash and students loans. Where as I believe the austrilian gov pays the upfront for you and you pay them back while you work for the rest of your life. I think thats how it works

Kinda. From what I remember Oz is like the Uk in it's education system.

You pay for your tutition fees but you can apply for a government loan (up to

Upvote 0
So I finally moved into my dorm today. Pretty small, but a decent net connection and a hall of engineers. My friends tell me to hang on to my girlfriend, 18% female population. :eek:

Anyone else started at a uni this year?

I'm graduating at the end of this month with a master's degree. It was strange going back; before, no undergrads had a cell phone and everyone smoked.

Try to find a balance in your life. Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education. Don't underestimate the need to focus on your schooling. I can think of a bunch of my friends that disappeared after the first year; I can also honestly say my grades were always inversely proportional to my partying, such that my straight-A/4.0 semester was the one where we were throwing three parties a week, every week, in our apartment. =)

Another thing can really interfere with your studies. Here's some advice.

Upvote 0

kinda. we have this thing called HECS, basically our version of a student loan.The government pays the uni X amount to keep y amount of spaces open to students who got in on TER(Our SAT) and are not full fee paying. The student then owes the government money, but only has to pay if off once they earn over $Aus 30K, the loan is interest free too. The other, probably most important difference is the the goverment subsidises uni's, making degrees a lot cheaper, so the university you go to is determined much more on merit then bank ballance(my eng degree will set me back just under $Aus 30K).

but with eng do you do any schooling before that, i.e is it like med school in the states were you do pre-med the medicine? From all the shows on U.S universities I've seen and what my dad told me almost every degree starts off with general stuff, a lot not even related to what you wanted to do.

Upvote 0