• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
The thing that pissed me the most off about starcraft. It's like the year 1000000000, humans are flying around in spaceships having space battles.

YET OUR TANKS CANNOT SHOOT UPWARD AT FLYING THINGS...

Todays technology is more advanced than starcraft's stuff really.

LOL
You better be sarcastic...

In a reality point of view... you are correct... they could have given the seige tanks something like missles...

But then one of the most powerful ground unit will be overkill killing balance...

Upvote 0
Did you know that Starcraft actually has a unit limit? I'm not sure what it was exactly. 1000 I think. We had an 8 player game at a LAN once on a giant map. Both teams turtled and naturally the protoss stole zerg and terran workers (this was Brood War) so they could have everyone's units. Everyone's pumping out troops, next thing it just gives some obscure message about a unit limit.

At that point we figured it was time for one team to die. Both MASSIVE armies headed to the centre of the map where our game promptly lost sync as soon the first shots were fired and crashed us all back to the lobby. It was such an anti-climax. :p

Upvote 0
Thats it !!!

harkonen have the massive tank
Atredies have the sonic wave tank
ordos have that paint tank that colors the ennemy your color and grants you control

I miss it

Sorry for OT, but they are called Atreides! Go read the books by Frank Herbert!

And back to topic; I generally don't like RTS-Games, but some were able to get my attention (read: are best):

Spellforce 2
Codename: Panzers
Battle for Middle Earth
EDIT: and Dawn of War of course. CoH looks also interesting, but I lack the money atm...

Note: I only play them in SP, as MP is too stressfull for me ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The non-expansion unit limit in Starcraft is 200, but different units cost different amounts. Zerglings are 1/2, marines 1, Zealots 2, Battlecruisers and Nukes are 8!

I enjoyed it, but I was hopeless at mutliplayer. My biggest complaint against it (and warcraft, and all similar games) is the disruption in scale between units and buildings. I never felt like I was actually controlling individual units on the outdoor maps.

Upvote 0
The non-expansion unit limit in Starcraft is 200, but different units cost different amounts. Zerglings are 1/2, marines 1, Zealots 2, Battlecruisers and Nukes are 8!

I enjoyed it, but I was hopeless at mutliplayer. My biggest complaint against it (and warcraft, and all similar games) is the disruption in scale between units and buildings. I never felt like I was actually controlling individual units on the outdoor maps.

Unite limit is 200 yes...

But there is another limit that users do not see...

Lets say you have a 8 player game, everyone alive 30 min later... huge bases...
At a point... when there are too much stuff on the map... no one can create anything anymore... that also goes for creating buildings.

As for comments such as wars that last more then 20 min... no...
Only Money maps such as BGH, Fastest and so on promote this...

But regular maps, ladder maps give you little money so you have to expand as much as possible, play smart and defensive... and you have to save your units and kill the ennemy's because Money is an issue...

BGH games... if one lives 25 minutes... if he is good, he will have 2 bases collecting money so fast that he can pump out unites without halt... in other words... send send send !!! slowly but shurly... break thru that heavy terran defence of Supplies in front of bunkers backed up by mass tanks

I like starcraft because... there is always sooo much strategy !!!!
Most other games are all about... Bigger army wins.

GeneralsZH is also very good... not about the bigger army but how you position your units more then anything else.

A USA armie of 3 or 4 tanks, 3 or 4 rocket luncher guys 2 snipers and 2 AA vehicles can take out MASSES of unorganized units...

The skill of generals is "how to properly more your units"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I read that. Will have to wait if they can live up to their promise of 26 to 30 missions per race, which would be about what Starcraft had. Still looking forward to it. The new gameplay videos look very good an I like the style again.

I am primarily a single-player gamer, so 26 to 30 missions per race with a deeper and not so linear storyline are good news to me. Still think they should've just made one game and add 2 expansions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So a new gameplay video is out, though I'm too lazy to post a link (i figure you find it on starcraft2.com).

The bad news is: the video is sh**, just like the previous one. They are basically playing a 1:1 multiplayer, which you would think was great because it just shows gameplay and not cutscenes, scripted events and the likes, BUT they COMPLETELY ruin it by having the whole video commented ESPN-style by two morons. It's unbearable. It goes something like this: player one builds a command center, commentator one responds with "WHAT A GREAT MOVE BY WHATSHISNAME, THIS WAY HE CAN SECURE RESOURCES EARLY ON WHICH SHOULD GIVE HIM A BLABLALBLALBALBLALBLA, WHAT A GREAT MOVE, DON'T YOU AGREE DAVE" - "THAT'S RIGHT TOM, THAT WAS A GREAT MOVE BY ...". Seriously, they say "what a great move" about 100x in that one movie alone. Looks like they are super serial about their e-sport thing. And when there's a fight theystarttalkingevenfasterbecauseit'sohsoexciting.

God damn!

The good news is: Blizzard is doing something about the artwork. The models are still the same, but it appeared to me that the textures and colours are a lot less colourful and more realistic now. It looks much more like the original.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution just for you: put video on mute/put on music

I thought the commentary was ok. It was at least interesting to hear what new units and abilities have been added.

You fight for those points to hold them so there are even fights outside the regular rts I-think-I-got-more-units-than-you-finally-so-I-level-your-base formula.

/facepalm

Upvote 0