• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Is the best Strategy game of ALL TIME !!!!

I say this because I finally re-installed it a week ago... yesterday I played a couple of BGH melee games with a friend of mine on b-net

Then a good UMS game.

Why do I say Starcraft is the best game of all time:

Graphics & Engin for the time
Graphics are VERY GOOD... Much more pretty then Red Alert Series... different... but better
Graphics are Kinda Cartoony, VERY Colorful... but even today... the graphics LOOK GOOD... They are VERY Simple... but they look good... they might even look better then MANY newer games.

As for engin... I talk about how well it runs on what systems just below...

-It is the most Compatible game I have ever played.
It works on a Pentium90mhz with 32mb ram and a 2mb videocard on Windows95 WITHOUT ANY LAG EVEN WITH 7 players !!!!!

It works with the previously stated computer and a 56k modem on battlenet with almost no lag.
(Will run with a 33.6k modem with little.. very little lag on 6 players)

It works on the latest gaming rig with NT based OS wither it is NT4, 2000 or XP

You play on a pentium1 or a pentium4, the gameplay speed is identical...
Play red alert on a p1... slow with graphics that arent as good.
Play red alert on a p4... Light speed

-It has PERFECT BALANCE + Gameplay
Not just that its balanced, but its balanced with 3 races that have NOTHING alike.

Every team has strategies to counter each other.
A standard marin shoots from far, but a zlot will destroy them alone

Its got SO MANY DIFFERENT STRATEGIES !!!!
Either you mass up with Zerg against a light front base defence or you can drop form the air if you notice a weak spot.
Cloak your light terran figher planes (Wraths) and kill all his money collectors or Lock yourself in your base with bunkers backed by tanks, save up and kill them all with Battlecrusers (The Mother of all Air Fighters)

Kill the battlecrusers using the Zerg Defilers Red Acid Poison or whatever it is, cover your units with the Defilers Orange Mist (can shoot out but not in)...

It does not END !!!!

Multiplayer Support ?
Battlenet works pretty well... some bugs with some different ISP providers but overall... it works pretty well and still has a HUGE amount of people playing...

But as an old veteran of the game playing 2 years later... I keep on getting destroyed... the skill level is VERY high down there...

Singleplayer?
Done in a very simple way... has a Brilliant story when you follow it...
Once done, storie goes on with broodwars..

Broodwars offers more units...
As a Classic Starcraft user... I dont play broodwars because I am still using my older strategies... new units will make people go thru me within seconds because I have to take new habbits such as detecting cloak units much faster to avoid getting a cloak rush from protos units....

Random Game support
Starcraft has TONES of user Created Random games located in the Use Map Settings part of B-Net
Games such as defend the bunker or evolve or usa vs canada or smash tv.... there are thousands of random games

Example: Smash TV
you and multiple people join the game.
YOu start with a marin
host selects a room
all gamers single marine spawns in the room and a mass of computer units attaque
More you kill more points... exchange points for extra soldiers... upgrade soldiers to something better...
then host selects a harder room...

tones of random UMS games that are simply outstanding when you are tired of getting owned by 6 year veterans/Ladder players showing off their super skill...

FANTASTIC FREAKING GAME MAN...

Anyone who missed the starcraft era should give it a try...

But I dont think a strategy game fan missed this game... it was the best.

I still find it BETTER then the latest GeneralsZH

Zero Hour is good... but different...

Overall.. I still think Starcraft has more high points and no flaws. (maybe a bug or 2 but very very minor)

Last edited:
Never tried the Civ series... but I respect them as excellent games because I know of them and I know from Multiple people that they are very well made.

I have played TA.
I like it. the units are cool, the idea is great, the landscape is I think one of the first 3d rts games that came out...
The way the shots are displayed on the map... its great...

tho I have never really gave it too much time.
I am aware that it has a mass of support, such as downloading newer units... that there maybe a massload of new units...

Its good, very good even... but I like starcraft better...
Starcraft is simple, user friendly and I think many will agree with the other +'s I posted on top.

I guess I should look into Supreme Commander or Theater of War...
I never even herd of them...

With starcraft and TA... I am wondering why the westwood games were such a success.... good singleplayer but the engin was very soso... (slow on slow pc's slower as people get more units, light speed unplayable on newer pc's, the bigger army wins...)

Upvote 0
I guess I should look into Supreme Commander or Theater of War...
I never even herd of them...
They aren't released yet.

Supreme Commander is basically Total Annihilation with more upgrade-possibilities, better graphics, better netcode, much larger maps, dynamic surrounding, physics, etc.
Also it seems te have a better user interface easier to use.

Theatre of War is a realism strategy and tactics game.
It's basically Brothers in Arms meets Operation Flashpoint meets realism RTS with the developing skills of 1C/Maddox.

And it looks nice! :D

Upvote 0
Starcraft is one of my favorite LAN games, even in the face of other games which have been released since then. Sure, I don't play it all the time, but for an in depth LAN coop or player v player game that's guaranteed to be fun and run on *any* computer, and either be already known by another gamer or easily learned by a newbie, starcraft is a winner.

Starcraft is still around, while my gaming group has played heavily and neglected rise of nations, c&c generals, dawn of war, etc. All fun for a while, but starcraft is always there on the hard drives, waiting...

Supreme Commander is going to rule, but in a much different way. I'm waiting for it.

Upvote 0
Starcraft might have been great back in the day, but come on move on with your life. There are bigger and better things to do.

Ehhhh

No:p

I dont play it much... but I still play it... its just good.

Generals... I bought it... but I dont even bother... why... because its no starcraft :p

earth2140 2150 and 2160 are alright...

2140 is like red alert with SUPER graphics
2150 is the race of upgrades... the one with the better upgrades win
2160 is kinda like a complicated starcraft... but... naaaa... too lazy to give it a chance.

Upvote 0
Agree with Total Annihilation as best rts. First rts to have 3d terrain and effects, plus one of the only games to have fully scalable unit amounts...you could set the unit cap to whatever your computer could handle, which led to some pretty huge battles with hundreds of units duking it out. And this was all a year before Starcraft came out.

Upvote 0