• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Starcraft II

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
If you preorder at gamestop you get beta access. Once you get the code you can't cancel the order.

I'm not into sci-fi but there's no denying SC is a great game. However I dont know how I feel about preordering a $60 game. It should also be said that you only get the Terran (marines) singleplayer campaign. The other two campaigns will also be $60 at later dates. This is obviously pretty retarded but I wouldnt be too interested in any campaign but Terran anyway. Thoughts?

In regards to Battle.net and charging it looks like my inner cynic is correct again, actually who am I kidding there's no inner cynic I am 100% cynical bastard :D

I was never going to buy this anyway, mostly because of the 'charge full price for a third of the game' thing, but this just bolsters my resolve to not give them 1 freaking cent.

They'll still make a mint regardless of what they do.

Upvote 0
In regards to Battle.net and charging it looks like my inner cynic is correct again, actually who am I kidding there's no inner cynic I am 100% cynical bastard :D

I was never going to buy this anyway, mostly because of the 'charge full price for a third of the game' thing, but this just bolsters my resolve to not give them 1 freaking cent.

They'll still make a mint regardless of what they do.

Those are pretty much my thoughts

Upvote 0
3.44 a month (100 rubles) in russia.

I was never really interested in Blizzard's games but after the whole hype of Diablo 3 and SC II and my roommates love for the originals I started to respect their standard of quality. It seemed like they were similar to Valve and Tripwire in terms of commitment and quality. Then slowly that changed. No LAN support, 1/3 of the game for a bloated nonstandard price, and now most likely a subscription fee.

With WoW and their previous games they have made adoring fans all over the world. So what do they do? Do they do extra for the fans or even just merely stay within normal reasonable prices/features which admittedly are extra for most developers these days? No they decide to exploit the fans and **** everybody. Real nice. And the worst part? Tons of fans are lining up everywhere ready to except the bull****.

What a joke. Will not buy unless the price drops and there is a guaranteed no subscription fee for the life of the game and full multiplayer support with any of the 1/3 versions.

Upvote 0
What I heard is that there isn't going to be a fee in countries other than Russia and the multiplayer aspect will be compatible across all three parts of the game. They justify the price by having full-length campaigns in each part.

I don't know, but based on value for money StarCraft, Broodwar, Diablo I, Diablo II, WarCraft III and Frozen Throne were all really excellent (huge) games. The only release that could even vaguely be accused of lacking is Diablo II: LoD with only two new characters and one act, but boy did I spend ages in that game.

I have no experience with WoW so I can't talk about that, but apart from it Blizzard doesn't exactly have a track-record of ripping people off. On the contrary.

What I'm more concerned about is that StarCraft II is nothing but a modernized StarCraft. Extremely well made, yes (I'm in the beta), but as someone who never clicked with the original this just isn't a game that interests me too much. Depending on what people say about the campaigns I'm probably going to get at least the Terran Edition at some point when it's a little cheaper. I'll see where it goes from there. Whether I want the other campaigns too or not.
I certainly won't drop 60 bucks on it though. Not because I don't think the game is worth it, it's just not worth it for me.

I'll be all over the new Diablo though if it runs on my machine.:)

Upvote 0
I don't know why you guys are *****ing about "1/3 game". What it means is instead of getting 10 missions per side (or whatever it was in SC1) you're getting a full game's worth, so ~30 or so. Just means more content. So 90 total. And like Murphy said, the multiplayer will be compatible across all 3.

Really hope the paying monthly thing isn't true though, that'll seriously jeopardize my buying this. Hope you're right about that "only in Russia" thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
During a BlizzCon 08 panel discussion, Diablo 3 director Jay Wilson said, "We are looking to monetize Battle.Net so that we get to keep making these games and updating features. We kind of have to.”

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/BlizzCon-08-New-Battle-Net-Will-Have-Fees-12751.html

I'm looking for more recent statements on it but they were/are considering it.

You guys are right about the 1/3 thing. I jumped the gun on that. Actually I think it's better cause i'd rather have a full length game's worth of Terran than a split.

Also you're correct in saying that you get alot of game time out of Blizzard's games but I don't really think its right to charge more money based on that. Like Murphy, not every person who buys the game is going to get the same amount of entertainment so it's basically exploiting the fanbase you know is going to get the game anyway.

EDIT:

Blizzard RTS community manager Kevyn "Karune" Yu confirms that Battle.net will be free to use.

Yu said to fans "when a player buys the StarCraft II box at retail, they will have the ability to play on the new Battle.net for free."

There has been a lot of speculation whether or not Battle.net, Blizzard's updated online gaming network, would be a service players would have to pay for. The speculation arose as Blizzard continously have declined answering questions about how Battle.net will be financed.

It seems very likely that Diablo 3 also will be free to play on Battle.net. The question is if they add "microtransactions", like for wow. Perhaps a player need to pay a few "BlizzPoints" to start a PvP league or tournament.
So it sort of looks like the standard stuff will be free but you will most likely be forced to pay for some features. What gets me is in the first quote the part about how they have to do this. Really? WoW probably gave them enough money to buy their own country yet they say they need to charge for something that every other game gives for free besides mmo's...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion Blizzard was hands-down the best developer of the late nineties and early 2000s. But a lot of the original staff is gone now and since WoW became the **** of the decade they are a 100% business-driven company.

I have no doubt that Starcraft II will be very good if not excellent. The interviews have convinced me that the initial resentment they met in their community (bubblegum graphics, too much focus on rock-paper-scissor) has been accepted and they changed back to the original a bit but still kept their own idea of where they want the franchise to go. This is good for them and us.

But I also have no doubt they will go as far as they can with the rip-off. The three-split is a rip-off and anyone who believes otherwise is blind imo. Pay-for-battlenet WILL come sooner or later. Maybe not at once, maybe only for some content at the beginning. But it will sooner or later become a full blown subscription system a la WoW.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wings of liberty apparently acts as the base game. The other two will be expansions with prices not set yet. The base game will be a different mp than the expansions. For the full mp experience you must buy all three. Source: http://us.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

Also, there will be ads on battle.net 2.0.
Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.187750-Poll-Activision-destroying-Blizzard?page=3

Sigh...

Edit: The biggest problem isn't the price or even the ads (I'm used to Steam). I just despise paying for something I know will eventually cost more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since Blizzard announced World of Warcrap, I hated them with great passion and criticized them in any way I could, but I can't deny that this game looks interesting, probably nostalgia and the sum of those years playing the original just came back to me. I may get it after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't really understand why people HATE WoW. I don't play it and never did, because I'm simply not interested. But it seems to do what it wants to do and pretty well too. I don't think anyone at Blizzard expected the enormous hype around it and you can't really blame them for it. And I don't think it's negative they keep updating it with content without really changing the game, mmorpgs are supposed to live for a decade no?

The only but major negative thing that came out of it is that Blizzard is now no longer a games developer, but a major media industry player. With everything that comes with that.

Upvote 0
I hated wow ever since its concept and announcement, I was a huge Blizzard fan before Warcraft 3, but they started leaning towards the cartoony style with it and pushed it too far then with wow, also, the concept of a monthly fee was something quite new and outrageous...

I loved Warcraft universe because I played a lot of War2 with my friends in Lan, it was with Doom 2 the first PC games I played, and enjoyed them for years, so I was really interested, but they had to come up with a rip off model for WoW (level of aggression eleven!) There the spiral of hate began.

Eventually, years later, someone got me to pay a monthly fee for Aion (which I find infinitely more attractive than wow)... so I liked that game... but I still regret having spent my money and time on it, as I found out that all I have initially thought about the concept of monthly fees being a rip-off, was true and not just a theory.

-You get bored and leave the game for a while, then you feel bad because you payed for that time, or in other words, its forcing you to play it, which stops being fun and feels more like a job.

-You stop paying and you can say goodbye to all you've done in the game, never see your character, progress, friends, or anything you did in the game again, nothing you did matters anymore, at least, until you pay again. If you stop paying you will only leave you a sad aftertaste and a feeling of loss.

-Monthly fees are not justified, they don't justify the updates and server maintenance, as Guild Wars have proven that they can offer all that without charging you anything else, In fact, Guild Wars had far better support and more updates than Aion

Another reason to hate wow is the media overload.

I'm not gonna say I'm not gonna fall for one MMO monthly-fee-scam ever again, but I'll certainly do all I can to avoid it.

Still, both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 look very interesting (and its hard for me to admit it for all the hate I've accumulated for Blizzard, still... the Warcraft universe remains dead for me since War3, I just can't stand anything warcraft now)

Last edited:
Upvote 0