• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stamina/Running Speed

SoNiCbOoM321

Sep 5, 2011
With classic mode being put into the beta and what seems to be many good reviews, there is one thing that seems to make everyone scratch their heads. The running speed / stamina, to me stamina seems to run out to quickly, and I feel like a 500lb lug when I run 20 m slowly.
I've thought of two things to change this.
1. Increase the running speed, but keep the stamina the same to compensate for the increase.
2. increase the stamina drastically,but keep the speed the same so you can still cover distance.
Tell me what you think, and hopefully TWI sees this.

The problem is that people think the base speed is walking. It's actually jogging. Your character is a bit of a tank in that he can jog infinitely, and even burst sprint every now and then.

With classic you have to think a little more, don't just sprint all the way to the cap zone, save your stamina so you have good shots and the ability to sprint for cover if ambushed. Slow down your gameplay and stick to friendlies like glue.

Upvote 0
The "Classic" movement settings aren't meant to be realistic, they're meant to be like RO1, a game that was intentionally scaled down in all aspects. If you feel like you're playing an asthmatic couch potato, then they've succeeded, because that's exactly what they were going for.
The problem is that people think the base speed is walking. It's actually jogging. Your character is a bit of a tank in that he can jog infinitely, and even burst sprint every now and then.
The default movement speed in RO2 is ~2.9 meters per second, which puts it at either a power walk or a sedate jog, depending on your stride. Maintaining that for a stretch of an entire minute or two is hardly some superhuman feat, even with a whopping 15 seconds of "sprint" in there somewhere. Most moderately fit people can maintain the game's sprint speed of 5.1 m/s for minutes at a time. The record holder for the Boston Marathon maintained 5.5 m/s for over two hours, and that's a pretty hilly course.

Upvote 0
One thing i ever wondered about is... where soldiers (draft soldier in particular) trained to this?

I mean, conscripts or draft soldiers what amount of phisical training received? Did they train in running with combat loadout? Did they train running at all? I ask because I'm totally ignorant about that, and always wondered if the "overloaded potato running" featured in games where supposed to be related to lack of training or what.

In RL, especially in dire situations, i'd expect a lot more flexibility and speed, if from nothing else, just from adrenaline\fear. This is one of those features waiting for my beard to turn grey before they pop up i guess :D

Upvote 0
One thing i ever wondered about is... where soldiers (draft soldier in particular) trained to this?

I mean, conscripts or draft soldiers what amount of phisical training received? Did they train in running with combat loadout? Did they train running at all? I ask because I'm totally ignorant about that, and always wondered if the "overloaded potato running" featured in games where supposed to be related to lack of training or what.
People then were certainly in a far better physical fitness overall than people are today(people of that time actually worked physically:rolleyes:) and even a soldier with zero prior physical training in the army could easily follow the pace that is depicted in the normal game.(you could say they would run even faster).

Upvote 0