• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Sneaking through the Agroprom getting the documents with Darker Nights and weapon damage tweaks (I'm currently messing around with OLMod) is amazing.

I snuck OUT, as the manhole you enter through is a death trap, then I snuck around to the far South West corner through the hole in the wall, shot the tower guard in the head with the PB(s) or whatever it's called, snuck into the front doors of the 3-story, then I had to go up one staircase to the 3rd floor and shoot one of the guards, then go down to the other staircase and come up behind the other guard and snuff him out. Then the 3rd was a piece of cake. In and out with 4 perfect kills before sunrise.

Upvote 0
I just finished this game twice already.

I have a love / hate relationship with it.

It could have been so much more and so much better that it hurts.

My main beef is the backwards mirror image weapons and lack of freeplay.

Now they say that the 1.1 patch will have freeplay but I bet we will wait for a year to see that one if ever.

Interesting enough there is a discussion at one of the STALKER web forums about FarCry 2 (not Crysis). Word is that it is now in development and takes place in Africa.

If you look at the screenshots for FC2 they show AK type rifles with the selector and charging handle also on the wrong side (left) of the reciever.

This is a very disturbing trend that developers do not even want to get it right.

Thank God for games like RO, that stive for accuracy and realism.

Upvote 0
If you look at the screenshots for FC2 they show AK type rifles with the selector and charging handle also on the wrong side (left) of the reciever.

This "trend" started with Counterstrike. Back in the days, all weapons of CS were on the left side of the screen, thus being correct. It wasn't until a patch where righthandedness was introduced, but they did it via simply mirroring the existing models and anims, thus generating that error.

Now what me also pisses about this, is that it seems like a very dumb ADD feature. I read in a FC2 preview that they mirrored the weapons on purpose so the shells fly through the screen, so there was more "action" to be seen. ...

Now BTT: I like patch 1.000000[lots of 0's]000000000004. It gives me a huge performance increase.

Upvote 0
Yeah, sometimes you want to just smack these developers on the head and ask them what kind of drugs they were taking.
The kind that help keep their company in buisness. Stalker was a huge and ambitious project to begin with, something that only EA could have pulled off by funding it with BF2 and everything else they release to meet those goals that were initially set up. Yes, it could have been a great, groundbreaking game if given more time and money, but the realities of the world are different. Its not like they had a meeting and decided "Hey, lets piss off all the customers by cutting out all of these cool features!"

Upvote 0
Did anyone actually take a look at that video link I posted?

It's new, not the hospital video we've seen before.

Are you talking about the new swamp video?

Nothing in that video indicates that freeplay is included and the weapons are still bass-ackwards mirror images like in the original stalker. Those were my main beefs as I have already stated.

To Pycckuu...

I understand that companies need to make money but they could have at least gotten the weapons correct. AFAIK, they purposly chose not to do this to put more eye candy on the screen simply to Wow the xbox kiddie crowd with the expent casing and charging handle animation.

If they made it more realistic they would have sold more games IMHO. And that would have equated to more money for them, and not less. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
To me, well, I've never actually held a gun, so to me the mirrored guns issue seems . . . a little **** . . to say the least.

But I agree about the freeplay thing. Yes the video doesnt actually show free play, but it shows a freaking huge environment and you teaming up with one of the many factions available so it kind of implies freeplay-ness.

Upvote 0
I think we can all agree that the reason that RO:OST is such a success is because it stives for accuracy and realism.

STALKER unfortunately went the other way with it's gee-whize stuff like mirror image weapons etc.

This is why TWI has touted RO as being historically accurate and strives it's best to stay that course because most of us here appreciated and value the emersion and atmosphere that accuracy and realism provide. Although you may not care if a weapon is modelled right, most of us here do care. I think you are in the minority.

IMO Six months from now STALKER will be a has-been footnote but RO will still be popular and in fact bigger and better and we all know that to be a fact.

The sad thing about STALKER is that it would not have taken any more work from the developer to at least get the weapons right. They chose instead to cater to the kids who prefer gee-whize graphics and who have never held a real gun. That's too bad, but it's their choice.

RO and STALKER are like day and night and the difference is that one developer listens to their customers and the other doesn't.

I personally may pass on Clear Sky if it doesn't at least fix the weapons or add genuine freeplay. Im not even going to go into the many bugs that are still in STALKER even after the 1.00000000000004 patch.

Upvote 0
Ok. I will not argue with you on the realistic guns issue. I play RO because the gameplay is awesome and deep, not because I feel like it's anything like really going into battle.

I think the Stalker franchise has legs. The gunplay in Stalker is different from RO, and I do prefer the RO shooting mechanics. I have a feeling the single player lone hero type game will never have realistic damage for guns, and the gameplay conceits that Stalker takes are at least plausible.

I never followed Stalker from the first mention of the game, so I never had these expectations for a second coming. Because of that I'm really pleased with the experience as is.

Upvote 0
IMO Six months from now STALKER will be a has-been footnote but RO will still be popular and in fact bigger and better and we all know that to be a fact.
I've got to seriously, seriously, viciously disagree with you. RO will never gain mass popularity because it's a niche title. In fact, it's a niche niche title. They took an already niche market; ultra-realistic FPS's, and made it even more niche by making it a Soviets vs. Germany WWII setting. If it were USA vs. Germany, it'd be more popular. But just like all niche titles, they will be popular to a degree, but can never break mass appeal because they do not appeal to the masses.

Steel Beasts, The Combat Mission series, Close Combat, Operation Flashpoint, ArmA, RO, adventure games, the list goes on and on. These titles are all amazing, but not everyone enjoys being killed by someone they can't see. Not everyone enjoys crawling through the virtual mud for 500 yards just so they aren't killed.

These titles appeal to people who enjoy certain aspects of games. They do not appeal to everyone. STALKER has a much wider appeal than RO had/has/ever will have. Why? Because it's an FPS that mixes quasi-realistic elements (ironsights, setting) with an exciting environment, mutants, and a bit of horror gameplay, mixed with RPG style inventory/customization.

It's also very accessible. People can pick it up and play it like any other game. This is not the case with RO, as you can tell by the new players who get destroyed and frustrated because they can't make it 10 feet from the spawn without getting mowed down.

RO is great, but other games are better and have mass appeal. RO may be your favorite game, and others favorite game, but the sad fact is, it's you that are in the minority of gamers.

In six months, who cares, six years from now is what is important. Everyone is pretty much still playing the same game they were six months ago. In six years, STALKER will be what it already is; the stuff of PC game legend, like Half-Life. Because of the game? Not so much, but because of the excruciatingly long development cycle that produced a game that was good, but didn't live up to its potential.

RO will be the footnote. It just cannot compare to the multitude of titles that came out before and after it was released. If they continue the "franchise" it may be a different story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think we can all agree that the reason that RO:OST is such a success is because it stives for accuracy and realism.

STALKER unfortunately went the other way with it's gee-whize stuff like mirror image weapons etc.

This is why TWI has touted RO as being historically accurate and strives it's best to stay that course because most of us here appreciated and value the emersion and atmosphere that accuracy and realism provide. Although you may not care if a weapon is modelled right, most of us here do care. I think you are in the minority.

The sad thing about STALKER is that it would not have taken any more work from the developer to at least get the weapons right. They chose instead to cater to the kids who prefer gee-whize graphics and who have never held a real gun. That's too bad, but it's their choice.

RO and STALKER are like day and night and the difference is that one developer listens to their customers and the other doesn't.

I personally may pass on Clear Sky if it doesn't at least fix the weapons or add genuine freeplay. Im not even going to go into the many bugs that are still in STALKER even after the 1.00000000000004 patch.

If you bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with the expectation of getting realistic gameplay, you need to check your head.

Ever played with the realistic gun mod? It vastly improves the game. Look a few pages back.

Please appreciate games for what they do right. In this case, STALKER's unique atmosphere, level design and freedom. Don't knock down on the game for the wrong reasons (ie wrong gun models). STALKER isn't your average FPS, just so you know.

Upvote 0