• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Staitic Mesh Questions

1 If the origin of a static mesh is in additive space but most of the mesh is in the subtracted world space will the SM get drawn? Will the level not start and will the map not build with the mesh saved?

2 I am making a tunnel and so in maya I made a cylinder, deleted the end faces, shaped it how I wanted it, and reversed the face normals so the texture would appear on the insde of the tunnel. I imported it into the editor OK, and positioned it and blended it with the terrain OK. When I started the level up in practise mode to test it I couldn't spawn. I couldn't add bots with the Addbots x command. I tried changing teams, switching to spectate and back again but no spawn. It was like I was stuck in spectator mode. I then went back into maya and deleted the construction history to clean up the mesh as I had problems with this before, where deleting the history would fix it, but no spawn. At one point the level would not start from practise mode but would kind of crash back to the opening RO screen.

I could always make the tunnel from BSP but it wouldn't suit the level at all.

Thanks, any help would be great.

StaticMeshes must be in Subtracted space, if you want to enter/exit them. They can stick into un-subtracted space, but they would be inaccessible to the Player.

Check to make sure the StaticMesh is large enough for you to Spawn into. Also check to make sure your Playerstarts are properly placed. You could try to add a small BSP platform below the PlayerStart, just to see if it makes a difference(not sure it will).

After second read: What Package are you putting the StaticMesh into? If it isn't "mylevel" and is a Custom Package, did you Save the Package first? If not, your StaticMesh disappeared when you went to test the Level, because RO couldn't find the StaticMesh and/or Package it was in.

Upvote 0
Thanks Sandorski

The SM is about 99% in subtracted space, but the pivot point or origin at one end of the tunnel is(was) in a chunk of added BSP that was a temporary fill in for a building. Im making a tunnel from the basement of a building in which players will spawn. At the moment they spawn outside. They won't be spawning into the tunnel. Prior to importing the tunnel there was no spawning problems at all and the pathnoding and bots worked quite well.

I went back and deleted the BSP cube, rebuilt, but it didnt fix it. Im saving the SM in the MyLevel package. The tunnel shows up OK in the game but all I can do is fly around in some kind of spectate mode where no players/bots can spawn. As I fly around there is normal collision in the tunnel. The other thing that happened is the overhead map changed so that the two soviet objectives were in the top right corner and the 2 axis ones in the bottom right corner. They were previously positioned correctly in the overhead map as i had put in the map bounds actors which were working OK.

I think its because I reversed the normals in the mesh prior to importing, even though I deleted all the constuction history. So I'll see if I can make it again without reversing them. I'll have to somehow turn the tunnel inside out like a sock as I build it.

Or else I accidently deleted something..?

Edit:

Im just going to test it by going back to the last version that worked, and importing the tunnel as it stands. I'll just stick it anywhere. If it plays alright then its not the tunnel.

Upvote 0