• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SS scopes

random

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2012
I'm wondering how similar they are to real scopes since i have never used one, on KF1 you had an option that was better for lower graphics but also a bit unfair since it was very clear view on the complete scope with no distortion.

the ones in KF2 have an area clear in the center and varies from weapon, then in the sides it get distorted because of the lens, but oddly the lines only curve downwards, the effect feels a bit exagerated making hard to measure lateral distance in the edges, i'm interested in knowing how accurate is this done, hopefully from someone that has used that type of scope. Thanks.

I'm not sure, I own a red dot sight and a telescopic sight. The telescope just has a black ring on the edges varying in diameter depending on how far away you are from the scope. I don't find the image very distorted on that. A red dot sight is very clear.

To be honest, one thing Tripwire do amazingly well is scopes. Together with gun animations it's one of the thing they're best at, the scopes in all their games look world-class. Scopes in many games look like crap but theirs are fantastic.

Upvote 0
thanks for your reply, yes weapon animations are awesome, to be clear what im asking for is specific to the curvature distortion at the sides, that kinda makes the practical visibility of the scope less than it looks, that in itself is not a huge deal but i notice it slow downs my aiming some, so its a 2 pair question.

-is the curvature that pronounced in a real scope? some of them? all of them?
-is it normal that the image curves downwards only, i believe it should curve upwards in the upper part of the scope, of course i'm nickpicking but im not saying they should change it, just curious how it actually is.

ty

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oh, you mean something like this, right?

Killing-Floor-2-rail-gun-scrake.jpg

No, I'm quite sure my scope doesn't do that. It's over 600 km away at the moment, but I distinctly remember there was no real noticeable curvature to it. The only thing was that the edge might be a bit blurry or black, but that just means you're not looking into it properly. If it does occur it shouldn't curve downward either as the scope is centrosymmetric. I think it's probably either something they overlooked, or an engine limitation. Good spot either way, this is definitely not supposed to happen.

Upvote 0
ironically the railgun is the one weapon where this is less obstrusive, the scope is big and the curvature starts quite outside, on the m14 is a lot worse, the xbow somewhere in between, but you got what i mean.

Thanks guys for the clarification, it would be nice if they tweak it at some point or make it optional like in KF1, it's not a huge deal but since they go to the extra mile in weapon details i tend to be a bit more critical. It affects gameplay if you are used to aim fast.

Upvote 0
real optics tend to be nothing like in Vidjya Games. some of them put a lot of effort into looking correct, but it's often used basically as a round shape on the screen with a 'point here' spot.

real Optics, are much more interesting than that! it's really hard to describe, real Optics are just amazing. you can look through them from angles and still get a clear sight picture, they barely interrupt your situational awareness, and aiming them is super easy with the infinite fidelity and preciseness of reality.

but, Vidjya Games tend to need to exaggerate facets of things from reality in order for them to be noticeable (and therefore worth the Development Time to do unless you have a nuts budget) while playing the game.

the Fisheye effect you're referring to, is absolutely exaggerated. but if it was like it looked in reality, it would be.... like 5% of what it is now. you'd have to actively look for it to notice the effect.
it's a compromise - these effects exist in reality and subconsciously almost everyone knows this (just by understanding of physics in general, not necessary experience with the object itself), so having those effects there reinforces the 'not fake' feeling when using it.
but you can go overboard and it can certainly backfire then.

Vidjya Games are also mostly rule of cool - things that look cool and feel good tend to get used because they make the game.... cooler.

Upvote 0
i see, thats a really good explanation, i get what you mean, i'd be really glad if they could tone down that effect to some middle ground while still being noticeable that is there, it throws off quite a bit of perception, i know i'm more picky than most, so i'll understand if not a lot of people ask for it. for the time being i wanted to know how much people notice or is bothered by it and how different is from reality, thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0