• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SS overnerfed?

Well, then the whole point of them making the M99 is kinda pointless cuz it would be kinda ridiculous if a M99 headshot didn't kill a Fleshpound.

My PERSONAL opinion on the making of the M99 is to scrap the idea, but that doesn't stop me from TRYING to balance it, does it? :)

Besides, regarding the waiting around, you have the 9mm to shoot around with, it's still a Sharpshooter weapon for trash :p

No way that we will scrap this idea! The rifle is already 96% finished and will be finished lol. If the sniper is able to carry the M99 and nothing else, he still can use the 9mm. And heck the 9mm is not bad! I'd say it's a good pistol if you know what you're doing. Killing Bloats and small suff with the 9mm is no problem.
It's like the LAW... You hate it or love it.
With 25 .50 cal Rounds you then could kill 25 big Zeds or shoot thorough hordes of small stuff.
I really wouldn't consider it being useless. My only concern is that it still might be too strong.... But many ppl here seem to want a stronger crossbow and the M99 would be such a thing, whith more weight and longer reload.

Upvote 0
No way that we will scrap this idea! The rifle is already 96% finished and will be finished lol. If the sniper is able to carry the M99 and nothing else, he still can use the 9mm. And heck the 9mm is not bad! I'd say it's a good pistol if you know what you're doing. Killing Bloats and small suff with the 9mm is no problem.
It's like the LAW... You hate it or love it.
With 25 .50 cal Rounds you then could kill 25 big Zeds or shoot thorough hordes of small stuff.
I really wouldn't consider it being useless. My only concern is that it still might be too strong.... But many ppl here seem to want a stronger crossbow and the M99 would be such a thing, whith more weight and longer reload.

I didn't call it useless :p And well, i take my back my opinon of not actually wanting it. The reason why i think it's kinda "bad" to add it is because there is already so many Sharpie weapons, and now you have made TWO more (Mk23 and the M99).

But if more weapons are added in the long run for ALL perks (and the Gunslinger is added, thus removing a big arsenal of the Sharpshooter) there is absoulutely nothing wrong with rifle (imo). If you have it as a 14-weight Sharpshooter rifle with 25-ish rounds it seems good to go to me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't call it useless :p And well, i take my back my opinon of not actually wanting it. The reason why i think it's kinda "bad" to add it is because there is already so many Sharpie weapons, and now you have made TWO more (Mk23 and the M99).

But if more weapons are added in the long run for ALL perks (and the Gunslinger is added, thus removing a big arsenal of the Sharpshooter) there is absoulutely nothing wrong with rifle (imo). If you have it as a 14-weight Sharpshooter rifle with 25-ish rounds it seems good to go to me :)

I like your idea, but making it weigh 14 is a bit much. You need to make it customizable, really. Make it light enough that you can at least carry a Handcannon or something, limit the ammo, and jack up the price.

Xbow:

Base weapon price 1250 (from 800)
Gets the 70% price reduction as Sharpie (just like the HC(s) and M14) putting it down to 375 as a level 6 Sharpshooter, similar in price to other perks' tier 2 weapons (The Xbow IS a tier 2 weapon fyi!)

Base ammo price 10 (from 20)
The sharpie should get a 40% ammo price reduction at level 6 (rather than 42%) leaving the bolts at cost of 6 per bolt (rather than 11 per bolt) and makes sell/rebuy strategies obsolete (sell/rebuy/refill the remaining ammo would cost 238, while buying full ammo (36 bolts) only costs 216)

And perhaps (not necessary, but interesting imo) put the weight down to 8, allowing it to be carried together with the LAR :cool:

Somehow I missed this. It's a good idea. However making it carryable with the LAR would be obscene. The two best SS weapons at once! It'd be awesome, but horribly broken.

Also...still no ideas of how to fix the terribad M14?

Upvote 0
Then may be xbow to weight 8 and the new weapon to weight 10?

But in fact if a good demo or 2+ support is in the team... fleshpound will never cause the team to panic...

I've been in support of a weight reduction for Xbow for quite some time.

If you have 2+ Xbows on the team the FP still won't cause you to panic if that's your point. Hell, any strong weapon multiplied by three or more will make FP's simpler. I'd like to see how strong 4 Chainsaws would be against a FP....

Upvote 0

If you have 2+ Xbows on the team the FP still won't cause you to panic if that's your point. Hell, any strong weapon multiplied by three or more will make FP's simpler. I'd like to see how strong 4 Chainsaws would be against a FP....

Axe would better weapon for a fleshpound gang bang. Regardless, I've done it a few times, 5 lumberjacks surrounding a 6 man HoE fp. Goes does in about 5 seconds to axe alt fire, less if everyone hits the head. And zerker can survived a hit from an enraged fp w/o armor.

Upvote 0

They want scrakes and pounds to make the players panic, however, they somehow make the scrake more dangerous than fleshpounds in some cases...

In fact I fear scrakes more now especially in public servers. Cos I know how to kill a fleshpound with many of the weapons, however, scrakes become unpredictable.

If I'm not a commando, I have no idea when will he rages. And he will not stop raging after he drops under 75% health.

Say, he rages after a hunting shotgun blast, I won't know if he ha 75% health or lowerthan 50% health. So should I use my hunting shotgun on him? If I do, he will target me. With other perks, his head is nearly impossible to find after stun or when he is attacking if the ping is anywhere higher than 50.

Upvote 0
They want scrakes and pounds to make the players panic, however, they somehow make the scrake more dangerous than fleshpounds in some cases...

Say, he rages after a hunting shotgun blast, I won't know if he ha 75% health or lowerthan 50% health. So should I use my hunting shotgun on him? If I do, he will target me. With other perks, his head is nearly impossible to find after stun or when he is attacking if the ping is anywhere higher than 50.

Shotguns aren't really ideal for the Scrake, but if you have to use 'em...I'd use the AA12 until you see him start raging, then immediately whip out the Hunting Shotgun and finish him with a double barrel blast.

Alternatively, empty all your Shotgun rounds into him and finish with AA12. Either way, AA12 is almost a must to make it out uninjured. But truly, shotguns aren't the best way. The best solution is a Sharpshooter or Berserker.

And I agree; they're way more random because you don't know who else is shooting it. As a Berserker, I have Scrakes that I've got stunlocked suddenly snap out of it and maul me because some newbie decided to shoot the scary, yet motionless, chainsaw guy... Everyone focusing on the FP is usually a good thing, as it takes it down fast. Everyone focusing on a Scrake is often bad because they typically DON'T take it down fast, it enrages, and hurts/maims/kills someone.

Upvote 0
Shotguns aren't really ideal for the Scrake, but if you have to use 'em...I'd use the AA12 until you see him start raging, then immediately whip out the Hunting Shotgun and finish him with a double barrel blast.

Yeah.. but when no berserker or sharpshooter is free (or no one plays them in a certain game) some one have to due with those scrakes.

Upvote 0

Alternatively, empty all your Shotgun rounds into him and finish with AA12. Either way, AA12 is almost a must to make it out uninjured. But truly, shotguns aren't the best way. The best solution is a Sharpshooter or Berserker.

And I agree; they're way more random because you don't know who else is shooting it. As a Berserker, I have Scrakes that I've got stunlocked suddenly snap out of it and maul me because some newbie decided to shoot the scary, yet motionless, chainsaw guy... Everyone focusing on the FP is usually a good thing, as it takes it down fast. Everyone focusing on a Scrake is often bad because they typically DON'T take it down fast, it enrages, and hurts/maims/kills someone.

If things are getting ugly, I usually walk up beside the scrake getting zerked and give it a point blank double barrel blast to the head. That is only if we are being swarmed and need the zerker to do other stuff right now. I generally just call em and leave em if we have a zerk, or I dodge behind the scrake and kill everything else that is trying to attack him.

I don't care for the AA12 much, usually use pump, hunty, and a handcannon or dual 9mms. For some reason I love the duals for support, but despise them for anything else.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind something like a .50 caliber rifle (M99 seems to fit pretty well) that had the power of the old Xbow but weighed 14kgs and cost 5000 to non Sharp and 2000 (maybe 1500) for level 6 Sharp. Should make you move slower than any other weapon in the game while equipped and the time between shots should be around double as long as it takes to load a new Xbow bolt, maybe longer. Maybe it could also only be fired while standing still.

That kind of power should be extremely expensive and it should not allow you to carry anything other than the nine mill and knife for backup. I think it would be pretty well balanced actually. Would be a proper Tier 3 for Sharp as well instead of the now castrated and wimpy M14. Honestly it seems like the perfect addition to Sharp, and it's not flat out imbalanced. If you want to kill the big guys in one hit you have to practically sacrifice any other option, you ain't gonna be a one man army like the Old Xbow + Handcannons or the M14 used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
At first, playing the 1016 SS I found a new kind of fun. With the x bow sitting and waiting for the big nasties to turn up and pop there heads off. But then I found myself waiting too long and it suddenly became a whole lot less fun because....

The lack of bolts mean you really have to hold your finger off the trigger, the cost is crippling too if you miss too often and there simply are not enough bolts on hard levels to take out the big nasties in later waves.

So I gave the M14 a shot. The iron sights are so annoying! So annoying in fact I hate the gun.

Dual handcannons/pistols cannot hit anything unless the enemy are in your face.

Lar rocks though!

I find myself looking at the zerkers and medics doing the same job as I was using the x bow, taking down the big guns with a couple of bolts and having ten times more fun than me too chopping up the mince and healing the team.

I don't care how powerful the SS class is or was. I can still kill a scrake easily enough. All I want is to have fun with the class and currently Killing Floor SS is not providing that :(

Maybe with more practice I will get better or find I am playing it all wrong. TBH I can't see what I can do that can stop SS from currently being dull as dishwater just sitting around waiting to hit something with a single x bow bolt.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind something like a .50 caliber rifle (M99 seems to fit pretty well) that had the power of the old Xbow but weighed 14kgs and cost 5000 to non Sharp and 2000 (maybe 1500) for level 6 Sharp. Should make you move slower than any other weapon in the game while equipped and the time between shots should be around double as long as it takes to load a new Xbow bolt, maybe longer. Maybe it could also only be fired while standing still.

That kind of power should be extremely expensive and it should not allow you to carry anything other than the nine mill and knife for backup. I think it would be pretty well balanced actually. Would be a proper Tier 3 for Sharp as well instead of the now castrated and wimpy M14. Honestly it seems like the perfect addition to Sharp, and it's not flat out imbalanced. If you want to kill the big guys in one hit you have to practically sacrifice any other option, you ain't gonna be a one man army like the Old Xbow + Handcannons or the M14 used to be.

That's exactly what we want to achieve with the M99. That's a short video of it incase you folks didn't notice it in the General Modding section. The textures still need some chainging.
YouTube - M99 Barrett for KF.mpg

Last edited:
Reactions: akstylish and Aze
Upvote 0
At first, playing the 1016 SS I found a new kind of fun. With the x bow sitting and waiting for the big nasties to turn up and pop there heads off. But then I found myself waiting too long and it suddenly became a whole lot less fun because....

The lack of bolts mean you really have to hold your finger off the trigger, the cost is crippling too if you miss too often and there simply are not enough bolts on hard levels to take out the big nasties in later waves.

So I gave the M14 a shot. The iron sights are so annoying! So annoying in fact I hate the gun.

Lar rocks though!

I find myself looking at the zerkers and medics doing the same job as I was using the x bow, taking down the big guns with a couple of bolts and having ten times more fun than me too chopping up the mince and healing the team.

I don't care how powerful the SS class is or was. I can still kill a scrake easily enough. All I want is to have fun with the class and currently Killing Floor SS is not providing that :(

Maybe with more practice I will get better or find I am playing it all wrong. TBH I can't see what I can do that can stop SS from currently being dull as dishwater just sitting around waiting to hit something with a single x bow bolt.

I get what you mean. With Xbow Sharp, you can't really use bolts in all but dire situations, because the cost is so prohibitive, especially for those newer players. But because of the weight, you don't really have much choice for a backup weapon, and because of that you are dead weight most of the time. Compare to LAR/HC or LAR/M14 Sharp who can contribute consistently throughout the wave and you have a clear favorite in terms of playability.

I think the two main problems with the Xbow at the moment are the price and that weight, one of them needs to change.

Upvote 0

Lar rocks though!

That's largely my issue with Sharpshooter. I don't find it very fun these days because you're stuck using the Crossbow if you wanna be at peak effectiveness and it's a boring weapon for me. The only other perk weapon you can really carry besides the Crossbow is the handcannon. So Crossbow/Handcannon almost every round. It gets old.

Especially when you see the awesome Lever Action and the "Should be awesome but blows" M-14 on the Trader screen but know that if you use 'em, you won't be able to do your expected job.

The real kick in the nuts is...non-Sharpshooter classes (Medic and Zerkers with Crossbows) can do almost as well with the Crossbow and their backup weapon as you can, due to their superior speed and survivability. The Crossbow is so powerful that it often 1-shots stuff for non-perked classes anyway, making your extra damage...completely pointless except on the highest difficulties (Where most big things resist X-Bow headshots enough to make you ineffective anyway).

The class has serious problems right now and, at least for me, isn't fun to play. About the only time I play SS is the earlier rounds when I can get by with the Lever Action and Handcannon, which IMO is the most fun loadout for Sharpie right now (And I'd really like to use LAR/M14 right now, I'd take the 9mm over the M14, let alone the Handcannon!). But once Scrakes and FPs start showing up, you've gotta go back to the lame X-Bow/Handcannon again.

Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0
Even on HoE as xbow sharp, you can do a ton of dmg with handcannon and 9mm.

I've been playing on Suicidal almost-exclusively for the past week. It's been a metric-f*ck-ton of fun between the random pub players and me frantically switching between the 9mm, the hand cannon and the xbow all the time. My only "complaint" is the cost of the crossbow bolts. I'm pretty sure I'm buying them in the shop for 11 pounds each, but I thought they were supposed to cost 3.3 according to the changelog? :confused:

I prefer sniping Sirens and Husks with the handcannon to "wasting" a crossbow bolt on them.

I finally got the Scrake takedown...well, down. I've been doing the one Hawk posted with the 4deag, xbow, 1deag and it works like a charm as long as people leave the Scrake alone. I prefer doing this one when possible because I only need 1 xbow bolt for it. Between multiple Scrakes, or Scrakes showing up at the same time as Fleshpounds I'll go with the two headshots if I'm the only Sharpie.

I know some people are having trouble making the headshot when he's stunned. When the Scrake is stunned with his head hanging over, you can see the "soft spot"/ fontanelle. That's your target. When he's standing up looking around is the one I think many people are having more trouble with. If you look closely, the Scrake looks left, looks right, then looks forward right before he charges. You want to fire when he's looking forward (not left or right!) and the hit will register as your second headshot.

I'm sure it's been explained before, but I have the timing right so now I'm all proud of myself. :p

[The post assumes, of course, I am the only Sharpshooter on the team. Sometimes another player joins me, and we call out our shots so we don't waste bolts on the same target.]

Upvote 0