• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad system

Ron

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006
Okay i searched and i didnt find anything covering this in detail. Right heres my idea okay at the moment when you enter the game you pick a weapon enter the game etc. My idea would be instead of choosing a weapon you first of all pick a squad each with lets say maxium between 4-6 men, then you choose your weapon now weapon limits overall would remain the same but each squad would only be allowed to have 1 smg 1 mg etc soo you wouldnt have 1 squad with like 3 smgs. Now when people use the team channel on the voip only their squad would hear them, local channel would remain as it is at the moment. How the hell do the different squads communicate you ask well each squad would also have a squad leader he alone would have a leader channel to communicate with the leaders of the other squads. Also on the map the positions of the different squad leaders would up as a dot for the squad leaders so the squad leaders could position their squad effectively and get a feeling for troop concentrations, also for the normal troopers their leader would show up on the map so if they died they could get back to their squad easily. Now theirs a problem if the squad leader dies cos that then throws the whole system on its head maybe if the leader dies then someone within the squad automatically assumes control until the original leader gets back. Tanks would probadly remain as they are at the moment, i know its long winded but i feel some sort of squad structure could work in this game at the very least you'd have at least one squad acting like they should. Feel welcome to tear apat my idea or give your own take on how a squad system could work.

People are naturally giong to go off on their own unless a squad system was forced into the game. I personally advocate a squad system because the leader will kind of be the guide for newbs especially in figuring out the system and how things work. It's especially useful because people who decide to stray off and go lone wolf will usually end up dying. As of now, I hope they organize a squad system into the respawn they have now. People would have to select each of the required classes of the squad before the squad as a whole can respawn. That will give people opportunities to try out different guns and it'll incoporate more of a team effort.

Upvote 0
The main reason why using squads hasn't worked yet is mainly because there aren't any competition ladders going yet. When there is a match between two "clans" who are using some organization and some tactical ideas, there will be a use for fire team, squad, platoon level organizations. Another thing is that on public servers there is - not always but - usually no overall organization on either side and - forgive me, but I believe it is true - no one in charge with any tactical sense. (By that, I don't mean they are stupid, merely that they have little or no idea of what is tactics, what is the tactical situation, etc.)

Both of those will be gradually corrected in competition play. As the players see that frantically running around in circles isn't as much fun as they thought and as the "clans" who are organized develop the tactics for the maps, they won't be having much fun just swarming. It will take some time, but not a lot, and there will be more tactical battles being fought in which squad level organizations and tactics will be useful and important in the "who won, who lost" question.

One thing would be for "clans" to offer and accept challenge matches outside of the formal ladder systems. Having a forum here where challenges may be made and accepted would be nice. In the Clans forums, it says "...and challenges", but I've posted a couple of times, as: "Come on! Fight me, fight me! I'll fight ya with one hand tied behind my back", etc, and listed our website address and opened a forum there but - alas :( - no one has come. I suspect that any challenges simply disappear if posted on these fora.

Another possibility would be some kind of place to brag about having defeated everyone ... or at least the folks whom you have defeated, eh? ;) The ladder forums may allow that, depending on their forum storage and bandwidth, but some more central location for posting about how the valiant Eco-Panzers stomped the 2345th Heavy Tank Battalion in the battle of Kaukasus. :p

Maybe something can be worked out for challenges and for bragging forums and .. sigh. Well, back to work at First Platoon. Stop by and see us at http://firstplatoon.clanservers.com .

Ike
Komvzvoda
1st Vzvod-Zug

Upvote 0