• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Leader Spawning

DiedTrying

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
USA Prime Credit
yes yes, I know about the search function.

But this is a bit different.

Yesterday I played a few hours with the squad leader, exclusively.

I had to harp on my team through text chat and voice chat to spawn on me or to have people join my squad.

When I play SL, I make it a point to be a mobile spawn and had GREAT success on sparta doing this.

However, I've found that a lot of players have learned to ignore "spawn on squad leader" option. Hours upon hours of play time has shown them that the majority of the time, this feature doesn't work (Poor SL's are to blame).

What I suggest is showing an indicator on the spawn screen of when it is possible to actually spawn on the SL. For instance, "Spawn on Squad Leader" when it's active. This way people do not become conditioned to thinking the SL spawn is "broken" as I often hear in game.

SL spawning is extremely useful and fun, however I feel it wasn't properly implemented and is a significantly neglected feature.

True, getting people to spawn on you is an up-hill battle largely, as the OP states, due to 'bad' SLs not being in viable spawn locations. The thing is, these SLs aren't bad at all, they just have no clue where they need to be and when, and that's the game's fault for not telling them.

SLs need to know:
- when the next spawn wave is due (via an on-screen timer);
- and where is a viable spawn point (via an on-screen indicator or at least notice of a failed spawn attempt).

Currently most SLs haven't got a clue how these things work and it's none of their fault. The net result is the prevailing opinion that spawning on an SL doesn't work so most don't even try it anymore, and this significantly weakens the SL's function.

Upvote 0
It would be nice to have a timer for next spawn. That way I could contribute something to the fight then hide before the spawn wave comes.

When we play with my group of friends, we inform the SL how long we have before spawn. We'll shout somethign like "Spawning in 5" and give him 5 second heads up to get into a position to hide, if possible.

But yes, it would be nice, as well as the idea of having the "spawn on SL" change colors when unavailable

Upvote 0
Giving the SL some information on whether or not he's a valid spawn would be nice, as well as when the next wave might be spawning on him.

Also, remembering the last selected spawn option would be awesome. I usually try to spawn on SL (saves me a lot of running with my big, bulky LMG), but if I only have 3 seconds to click ready I'm not going to fumble with the menu every time I respawn.

Upvote 0
The problem with giving the squad leader an indication whether or not he's in a safe spot is that he could abuse the information for an unintended purpose such as sneaking past the enemy.

I'd rather have just a timer like the commander gets and a list of squad mates who are ready for spawn (and where they select to spawn). If none of your squad mates are in queue, you don't need to bother with hiding. If 3-4 squad mates spawn on Spawn 1 or 2 you can see this and address the issue through teamchat.

Not big on the commander having to tell the SLs when the spawn is coming because I think it would get annoying on voice chat in public servers.

Upvote 0
I think it's unused, not because of bad SLs, but because:

- SL Spawn puts you in front of the SL, instead of behind. It's an easily fixed problem.
- SL Spawn is usually deadly, there is no protected area to spawn in. Sneaky enemies will pick off everyone who spawns on a good SL who is parked outside an objective, and leave the SL alive so they can get more kills. In my nightmares, anyway.
- SL is not always alive. If he were ALWAYS alive, we could always spawn on him. Hah. Alternately, if we choose to spawn on SL, the game should remember that that's what we want instead of spawn 1 after he dies and respawns.

Because I usually get killed when spawning on SL, I very rarely choose to. It has more to do with the mechanics than the SL himself IMO.

Upvote 0
There also needs to be an indicator for the Squad leader when someone is trying to spawn on him. That will be his cue to find a safe spot and wait for reinforcements.

Squad leaders should also receive +1 for each member spawned on him (as long as hes 50+ meters from any spawn points.)

Reward those guys that hang out in the church basement on Pavlovs house. lol

Upvote 0
@ died trying: bravo to you! that is exactly your role, too many times SL's find them selves trying to be the in the lead assault only to fall. If SL's would be near the rear of the assualt say 10 to 25m then this would allow squad members to spawn. Using this tactic in otherwise dire situations can turn the game in a matter of seconds to a win with added squad members in a cap. In game I almost always VOIP "spawn on me" to remind people in que to select SL.

Upvote 0
I often try to play SL for the sole reason of Spawn on Squad leader. I unfortunately cannot spawn on others, but others can Spawn on me. I typically try to position myself near the front line so players don't have to spend so much time to get to the front line or risk getting shot while trying to advance to the front line.

So many players just try to sit back and pick off the enemy when we need to advance to keep the game going or to defend our front line objectives. The interface to pick your spawn location shows you both Spawn 1 and Spawn 2 on the map. I would LOVE to see the Spawn on SL option highlight where the current SL is on the map like Spawn 1 and Spawn 2 are displayed. I think this would give more incentive for players to use the option and the better SLs can more effectively help their team my positioning themselves in strategic locations. If the SL is currently dead and waiting to spawn, the option to Spawn on SL should have (dead) next to it to indicate the players of the squad that their SL is currently dead so they can pick either of the other locations or still choose to Spawn on SL so they can stay together if desired once they spawn.

I don't think others really understand the true role of the SL. They are often yelling SL advance and move up. We're already near the front line, everyone else should be pushing, we need to stay so you don't have to spend 20 seconds running back to the front line, only to get shot just as you get there then have to sit in the spawn queue and wait to do it all over again.

So to sum it up:

Changes:
- Add the position of your Squad Leader on the Map in the Select Spawn Location Screen so players are aware of the position they would be spawning into
- Add the text (dead) next to Spawn on Squad Leader to let players know that their SL is currently dead and waiting to spawn in the Select Spawn Location Screen

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like this idea

Just expanding on your thoughts ;)

That said, I've gone back through the posts again and missed a crucial part, which is the positioning ineligibility to spawn on SL.

Changes:

• - Add the position of your Squad Leader on the Map in the Select Spawn Location Screen so players are aware of the position they would be spawning into. The map indicator would label the spawn point as SL1 (or which ever SL they are).
    - Add text of the name of the Squad Leader in the Select Spawn Location screen so that players are more aware of who their current SL is. Makes Communication much easier. Player name would not be on the map, that can stay as SL1, but it can be under the text on the right hand side directly under the Spawn on Squad Leader option.
    - Add the text (dead) next to Spawn on Squad Leader to let players know that their SL is currently dead and waiting to spawn in the Select Spawn Location Screen

- Color text indication for Spawn on Squad Leader.
  • - Black = SL is currently dead and waiting to Respawn. (dead) is still displayed
    - Green = You can currently Spawn on the SL
    - Red = SL is alive, but the position he is in makes him ineligible for Squad members to spawn on him. Since the map would indicate SL1, they can speak up and tell them they need to move because they cannot spawn on him on that location.

Upvote 0