• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sprinting

I don't know, I'd get pretty damn tired after sprinting that far with all that gear on too. Especially if I was malnourished, exhausted, and shellshocked.
Their gear wasen't that heavy and tank crewman barely wear any gear and they still get tired easily. Soldiers are trained to run for long periods of time with gear on. And in RO say you run out of stamina and grenade drops next to you, I don't care if your tired, in real life your to atleast find the energy to run for cover.

Upvote 0
Their gear wasen't that heavy and tank crewman barely wear any gear and they still get tired easily. Soldiers are trained to run for long periods of time with gear on.

You speaking from real-life experience or just making your opinion up out of thin air? I'm a currently-serving solider and am in good shape, and even with today's modern, lighter gear I still tire at roughly the same pace as modeled in the game here.

Upvote 0
You speaking from real-life experience or just making your opinion up out of thin air? I'm a currently-serving solider and am in good shape, and even with today's modern, lighter gear I still tire at roughly the same pace as modeled in the game here.
It takes you about 22 seconds to get tired from running? Which is about how much time it takes in RO to use up all the stamina.

Upvote 0
Also as a current soldier, I'll add my two cents. If in real life I'm sprinting (running at a flat out rate) with my weapon and a full combat load of ammo and grenades, immediate needed supplies for survival/mission completion, uniforms (which arent the lightest clothing option to go for a jog in,) plus a helmet, you're absolutely right I'd be dead tired in about 22 seconds. Not to mention the stress and tenseness being in a combat zone adds to weariness.

Here's a test for you, go outside and run as hard as you can for 5 seconds. You should be a little winded, and if not you didn't run to your limit. Now imagine doing that for about 4-5 times that length. Exhaustion is not a gradual change, it's exponential.

Also, just to clarify a sprint is not running, sprinting is hauling ***. Your average WWII soldier was not a track and field star, the time allowed for a sprint now is spot on, if not generous.

Upvote 0
you need to realize these guys are always running. sprint is just that a fast sprint. These guys may not have been holding all that much. a weapon a few grenades and some ammo is most likely about it maybe some water. not all that heavy but.. it will be bouncing around all awkward and annoying. Try hanging about ten pounds of heavy hard annoying junk from a belt and sprint as fast as you can. see just how long you make it. i think this is one of the very few games that got sprinting right. now if only there was walking that was done right as well.

Upvote 0
You don't seem to realize that in RO as a soldier you are constantly jogging at a pretty good pace- not walking- so you are still going to already be somewhat tired. Of course once you start running (i.e. sprinting full-speed) you would expect to tire out very quickly especially with all that gear.

Look at it this way, even olympic athletes can sprint full-speed for a limited amount of time, and they are properly trained and clothed to be doing that.

Upvote 0
I don't know, I'd get pretty damn tired after sprinting that far with all that gear on too. Especially if I was malnourished, exhausted, and shellshocked.

I am 100%-sure that after you sprint you will still be able to climb on 30 cms high obstacle... not so in RO... thats terribly wrong. I can live with that since I am used to this limitation but it is horrible for new players. In other words passing over vertical obstacles is one of the worst I have ever met in A-class FPS games... god bless HL for this

Upvote 0
This is true. The climbing/mantling in this game is sorely lacking. That is to say, there is no such system. All we have is this feeble jumping where if your toes can't clear it, the object is impassable. However I know there have been many lengthy discussions regarding this, and many illustrations drawn (some by me), so if you want to discuss those, go look for 'em. :p

Upvote 0
I am 100%-sure that after you sprint you will still be able to climb on 30 cms high obstacle... not so in RO... thats terribly wrong. I can live with that since I am used to this limitation but it is horrible for new players. In other words passing over vertical obstacles is one of the worst I have ever met in A-class FPS games... god bless HL for this

I think Thief:DS and CoJ got it right.

Upvote 0
This is true. The climbing/mantling in this game is sorely lacking. That is to say, there is no such system. All we have is this feeble jumping where if your toes can't clear it, the object is impassable. However I know there have been many lengthy discussions regarding this, and many illustrations drawn (some by me), so if you want to discuss those, go look for 'em. :p

Agreed, I can't remember the game but it had a fantastic mantling system.... oh well. I'm all for getting rid of jumping all together and leaving the "jump" button for stance up/mantle. but thats just me:)

Upvote 0