• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Springfield or Garand

Although soldiers were issued with a weapon depending on their role, it was not uncommon for soldiers to take any weapon they wanted, found on corpses of their own or of the enemy, or simply discarded. There were no rules which stated you had to use a set weapon, unless you were a rifleman or machine-gunner of course.

For instance, many soldiers swapped their carbines for Thompsons later on.

I know if I had the option to take a Garand in that situation, and give up my Springfield I would do it without hesitation.
The Garand is probably one of the main reasons the Americans managed to win many of their engagements, especially when outnumbered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weapons

Weapons

All your common issue small arms as they were issued and introduced.

USMC had:

The Canal - M1903 Rifle, BAR, M1928 TSMG, M1917 HMG, and .45 automatic pistol.

Late 1943 to 1945 - M1 Rifle, M1903A1 (Scout-Sniper) w/ scope, M1897/M12 Shot gun, M1928 TSMG/M1A1 TSMG, M1 Carbine, .45 automatic pistol, BAR, M1919A4 LMG, HMG M1917.

USMC Raiders and Paramarines 42 to 44 - M50/M55 Reising*, M1941 Johnson Rifle, M1941 Johnson LMG.

*Some line units did have Reisings as the Reising on The Canal, as they were to replace the TSMG as it was cheaper, yet after the bad feedback and negative field reports from Guadalcanal the Reisings died a quick death and were no longer issued. The M1941 Johnson rifle was bidding up against the M1 rifle, in hopes that the Navy and Marine Corps would buy them and adopt them as their standard service rifle - yet the M1 (Garand) got the order and became as you know THE standard service rifle for the Corps. By late '44 Johnson rifles and LMGs had been phased out.

US Army had:

The Canal - M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, BAR, M1928 TSMG, M1917 HMG, and .45 automatic pistol (service revolvers as well - but far less common as the .45 auto).

Late 1943 to 1945 - M1 Rifle, M12 Shot gun, M1903A1 (Sniper) w/ scope, M1A1 TSMG, M1 Carbine, .45 automatic pistol, BAR, M1919A4 LMG.

Note these are ONLY "small arms", support weapons have not been mentioned. The above are what the average line rifleman/rifle company carried. Company support weapons would be, for example the 60mm mortar/s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0