• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Spot the Airplane

I was reading something online about the F-14, discussing how they're being placed at the Davis-Monatham AFB "boneyard" with the hope that some will be taken up by museums.

I'd always heard about that boneyard, but never seen a good aerial photo of it. I decided to give it a look in Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...35,-110.844645&spn=0.031026,0.067978&t=k&om=1

So far I've spotted:
  • A-6
  • A-7
  • A-10
  • AH-1
  • B-57 Canberra
  • RB-57 (big-winged version)
  • B-52 (multiple models in various conditions)
  • C-5
  • C-123
  • C-130
  • C-141
  • C-135
  • E-2
  • F-4 (literally by the hundred)
  • F-5
  • F-14
  • F-15
  • F-16
  • F/A-18
  • F-102 (or F-106)
  • F-111
  • OV-10
  • P-3
Hell of a museum they have going there. I was actually surprised to see some newer aircraft there, like F-16's and F-15's. Those must be from the earlier production blocks.

Supposedly they have SR-71's too. Big, black, delta-winged aircraft should stand out from the desert, but I didn't see them at all. There are a bunch of hardened shelters to the southeast corner (along with a circle of aircraft having a little camp-out :) ) so maybe that's where they're at.

What else can you guys spot?

You can see additions and deletions to storage here:
http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCMasterLists.asp

The actual AMARC inventory seems to be toast for security reasons. I can't seem to find a working archived copy.

You guys find all the civilian stuff yet?

I volunteered at a place restoring old army aircraft. They got an old H-6 ... boy ... when the military gets done with an aircraft, it's _done_ with an aircraft.

Upvote 0
There's an F-94, F-80, B-58, B-66, B-29, B-50 all at the museum portion. If you go from there up and to the left a bit you'll see the fuselage of a B-36 with the wings cut off. Some of the aircraft at Davis-Monthan are literally the last of their kind, not to be found on display anywhere. Unfortunately the general public aren't allowed into the boneyard portion of the base, which is where some of the singletons still sit.

All those neat lines of B-52 bombers, P-2 Neptunes, F-4 Phantoms, and all the other more modern types are there to be photographed. Part of our SALT treaties with the Soviet Union required them to be placed where they could be readily photographed by Soviet recon satellites. That's why you see all those B-52 bombers cut into pieces, still sitting there where the "Chopper" (large crane with a huge steel guillotine) cut them up. Once they're cut they have to remain for a certain period of time to be counted as destroyed. That's what happened to the last of the B-29 and B-36 bombers, chopped into pieces and sold as scrap metal, then hauled off and smelted down for reclamation.

Seeing all those wonderful aircraft like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Upvote 0