• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Spoofing playernumbers on a gameserver?

Spoofing playernumbers on a gameserver?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

LemoN

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Prussotroll's Bridge
Well, a friend of mine from told me that they are spoofing playernumbers for their BF2 and BF2142 servers in order to populate them fast.

Now my question is, is this right or wrong?

EDIT: To explain a bit further, imagine a server with 0 players being displayed as having 40 or 50 players on the server. He told me that populating happens so fast that most people don't even notice the fake playernumber. To elaborate further, these are NOT bots and, unlike RO:O, it's impossible to spot the difference before you join.

I absolutely despise this practice and think it's absolutely wrong to do something like this.

Last edited:
What Dwin posted. I blacklist those servers as soon as I have left them. Servers I also blacklist are those with clan advertisements and "our rules" spam in chat, "don't use weapon X or kick", automated chat filter that transforms cussing into gibberish, map X 24/7, custom maps only, clan stacking, "please accept our rules by pressing 1" (particularly in a non-English language) etc.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Well, a friend of mine from told me that they are spoofing playernumbers for their BF2 and BF2142 servers in order to populate them fast.

Now my question is, is this right or wrong?

EDIT: To explain a bit further, imagine a server with 0 players being displayed as having 40 or 50 players on the server. He told me that populating happens so fast that most people don't even notice the fake playernumber.

If it works in the situation you described then it would not bother me in the slightest as it got me into a game.

If it fails to work as you described then hopping onto several empty servers would annoy me.

Upvote 0
If it works in the situation you described then it would not bother me in the slightest as it got me into a game.

If it fails to work as you described then hopping onto several empty servers would annoy me.
I can't actually say if it really works like that, I somewhat doubt it though.

I didn't state my opinion in order to have an unbiased poll, and I won't voice it until more people have voted on it.

Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0
automated chat filter that transforms cussing into gibberish

These are the funniest servers ever. I used to do it in the ro mod just to have a laff. :D It would turn curses into phonetic donkey sounds.

Then I am going to vote No.

In the past we have populated our server by all joining and playing amongst ourselves. Does not take to long to fill.

Be honest - I always try to be.

This is how you do it. Get your m8s together, and go play a game of melee until more people show up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Depends on the game I guess. I suppose if it is really true that in BF the server becomes full in seconds after spoofing the player number, I don't mind. But that trick doesn't work in RO, not RO:O at least. Quite a few RO servers are like that. They spoof the player numbers by creating a bot match. But a quick glance at the player list of that server reveals that there are only three players on that server. I never join those.

Like others have said, the best way for clanners to fill their server is to simply play on that server with at least eight people, and do that regularly.

Upvote 0
Big ol' hell no to false players.

If you want to populate your server, get your clan/group/community/whatever together and populate it. If you build it they will come.

This is one of the (many) reasons I uninstalled TF2 for good, too many people were doing this on their servers, and often it wasn't obvious until you actually entered the game to see. IMO doing this is just a great way to get your server blacklisted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0