• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Splitting into Two Groups?

Splitting into Two Groups?

• Total voters

CrashFu

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
Ohio
Has anyone tried (intentionally) splitting a full team into different groups and holding down separate areas of the map? I know it's instinctual to try and keep EVERYONE together but after some accidental splits (someone taking too long at the trader, one or two people stay behind to wait for them while the rest of the team impatiently runs off to their preferred camping spot) I'm curious about doing this as an intentional, tactical choice..

Pros:

• Roughly half of the zed spawn limit should head towards each team, meaning half as many zeds to deal with simultaneously, IE a less chaotic confrontation.
  • Less teammates to watch the backs of simultaneously. Easier to keep everyone (within a sub-team) on the same page.
  • Less likely to suffer problematic zed spawns, like 3+ fleshpounds or a room full of sirens?
  • Less wasted shots from people unnecessarily shooting at the same target. Everybody has something to kill without competing with each other.
  • Waves should complete faster because zeds won't get stuck all trying to bottleneck into the same room, will head towards whichever team is closest to their spawn, also related to above point.
  • Having people on different areas of the map means weapon/ammo spawns are less likely to go wasted.
  • A fun and different way to play.

Cons:

• Need Scrake/FP capable perks on EACH team.
  • Without a medic on both teams, one may fall more easily. Without a commando on both teams, one may become prey to groups of stalkers.
  • Losing a person has more impact; fighting your way to regroup with other team can be challenging.
  • Zeds might not go after the teams evenly.. one team could wind up overrun while another sits around boredly.
  • Potentially less assist XP per player, since you'll never even SEE ~half the zeds in each wave.

Thoughts? Experiences to share? Interest in trying out this strategy? :)

Hey, it works for Scooby and the gang.

It does! And I've done it myself, even gone as far as 6 little 1-man-teams (not on purpose, those) and it's all viable for the first few waves. Things like sirens and husks make it nastier, as they run interference and with less eyes on everything it's easier to be overrun.

Way I've seen it done, in the lower difficulties anyway, is splitting up and regrouping a bit later on, definitely staying together when the bigguns arrive.

Upvote 0
it works in Hard, for sure.

but stop playing that and go for the real deal.

This is a common theme I see.

Should I refrain from talking about tactics at all until I'm drenched in HoE glory? It's not like I can play HoE or sui, I don't have a premade group nor do I see any in the browser. Besides should I get that far, the only tactics I'd be able to comment on are "how to keep calm under a barrage of microphone insults".

That aside, you tell us, how exactly would it play out should 2 groups of 3 enter the higher difficulties?

Upvote 0
Split groups in HoE do not survive.
If u play alone or with random players, u should try Suicidal cos the Zeds had all the dynamics and behaviors offered by the game.
Once u get to use Suicidal and HoE, Hard will be boring and slow. U should leave Hard when reach lvl 15 or feel confident. Besides, its the fastest way to lvl if u manage to survive

To survive HoE u need a well comunicated and sync team. You must found defensive areas on the maps with scape routes and make with your team two circuits on each map. U need one circuit for the waves when loss the defensive areas, and a small circuit for the boss.
That works for me team, we are 3, thats easiers than 6. But we arent killed Hans yet.

Another tip: Try to cover the back of the others. Greedy teams dies too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen this happen frequently on teams that communicate well...but kind of halfway split up.

For example, some of the larger open areas allow for two groups of 3 to lock down different areas of a large room but still have proximity to kite back to your allies and group up for big zeds if need be.

The processing area of biotic lab is a good example with a team of 3 at each end of the room. Long range medics and commandos can cover from afar when possible from the back, while zerker and support take on the front lines of the room Near the catwalk entrances.

Also in burning paris, the area near the bar neatly bisected by the subway entrance and allows for 2 fire teams to tackle different spawn points in mini groups on either side and stay spread out, but have the room to kite back to your allies if one area takes too much heat before pushing back to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Split groups in HoE do not survive.
If u play alone or with random players, u should try Suicidal cos the Zeds had all the dynamics and behaviors offered by the game.
Once u get to use Suicidal and HoE, Hard will be boring and slow. U should leave Hard when reach lvl 15 or feel confident. Besides, its the fastest way to lvl if u manage to survive

To survive HoE u need a well comunicated and sync team. You must found defensive areas on the maps with scape routes and make with your team two circuits on each map. U need one circuit for the waves when loss the defensive areas, and a small circuit for the boss.
That works for me team, we are 3, thats easiers than 6. But we arent killed Hans yet.

Another tip: Try to cover the back of the others. Greedy teams dies too.

So you're saying that the only way to win in HoE is to follow the same repetitive camping plan to the letter every single wave, and never experiment with advanced squad tactics of any sort?

If that's the case, I officially have as little interest in playing HoE in KF2 as I did in KF1. Suicidal sounds fun due to the zed behaviors, but I have no interest in "the ultimate challenge" if it means I'll have to perform a monotonous, tedious job instead of actually play a game.

But if you find it fun, more power to you, man.

Getting back on topic, though... if you're running with a group of only three people anyways, why not try this strategy?

You'd still be in a three-person group. The only difference is the zeds would individually be tougher, but there would/should be ~half as many heading for your group at any given time, right? And if you're playing on HoE, that means you like the zeds to be as tough as possible anyways, right? ;)

Upvote 0
I've cleared HoE on outpost/Paris and consistently gotten to the last trash wave in biotics and can map out the best area(s) I've found that work in 6 player. (These were all done on 7 wave length matches)

Paris: 2nd floor of hotel, one door welded (the one linking to the main room next to spawn), have one commando/support watching the hallway facing this door. Next have a berserker towards the end of the main hallway everyone is in and a few supports in the middle with a medic in the back to handle the vent trash. Most of the stuff comes from the front of you do it right.

Outpost: trucks (at the bottom of the hill right above the garage) - have one berserker watching the side closest to the garage with a support to back him up, then on the other side have a commando and 2 supports watch that area, with the medic watching both groups

Biotics: we've been experimenting with a lot of areas and the best so far seems to be the 2nd floor in processing (I think... It's the room with the big grinder in the back). Have one commando watch the back stairs. Have a berserker in front with 1 commando and 1 support. Then have a commando in the middle watching the middle stairs and also helping with the front. Then have the medic watching everyone and tossing healing bases for big guys.

(I don't claim to be an expert, these are just spots that have worked for my team.)
(I don't really have a guide for Hans because, well, he's easy, just run in a circle around him and dodge nades lol)
(Sorry if these areas are hard to picture, I described them the best I could.)

Upvote 0
So you're saying that the only way to win in HoE is to follow the same repetitive camping plan to the letter every single wave, and never experiment with advanced squad tactics of any sort?

If that's the case, I officially have as little interest in playing HoE in KF2 as I did in KF1. Suicidal sounds fun due to the zed behaviors, but I have no interest in "the ultimate challenge" if it means I'll have to perform a monotonous, tedious job instead of actually play a game.

But if you find it fun, more power to you, man.

Getting back on topic, though... if you're running with a group of only three people anyways, why not try this strategy?

You'd still be in a three-person group. The only difference is the zeds would individually be tougher, but there would/should be ~half as many heading for your group at any given time, right? And if you're playing on HoE, that means you like the zeds to be as tough as possible anyways, right? ;)

maybe you want to undestand what u like to avoid the harder difficult. not my problem.

I said what works for me and my team and what I think do not work well. I said "find a defensive spot", no "defend that place". I said "make a circuit", no "do this circuit". And I'm talking about defence positions, escape routes, runs and retake positions. HOW IS BORING THAT!? How its gonna be boring to survive in HoE!?!? are u nutS?? Die its boring, for sure. You just saying things but not test them.

If you wanna try your "advance tactics" from Hard, you can do that and tell us if works.

I do not understand the rest of what you say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could split groups be viable if they maintained audio/visual contact with a backup plan?

Remaining in visual contact would defeat the purpose, unless you just mean looking for the death alert text as a sign its time to regroup, lol :D

But yeah, mic communication would be important.. and you can always follow the sound of gunfire to get a general idea of where the others are. Makes me wish there was a button you could hit or a tool you could use that marks your current location on others' compasses.

Upvote 0
Remaining in visual contact would defeat the purpose, unless you just mean looking for the death alert text as a sign its time to regroup, lol :D

But yeah, mic communication would be important.. and you can always follow the sound of gunfire to get a general idea of where the others are. Makes me wish there was a button you could hit or a tool you could use that marks your current location on others' compasses.

I meant actual visual contact, like far away covering 2 points but able to see eachother; maybe more possible in future maps than it is now.

Upvote 0
I meant actual visual contact, like far away covering 2 points but able to see eachother; maybe more possible in future maps than it is now.

Ah, I see. There might be a few places where that could work... In BioticsLab there was that area with the door down below.. and up above there were twin staircases leading to an upstairs area, you know? One team could stay in the lower area while another takes the upper lobby area.

Or in Outpost there's that multi-level circular inside area? Teams could split up between levels, on opposite sides. Rejoining the other team would be as easy as climbing some stairs or leaping down a ledge.

And in Burning Paris teams could set up at opposite sides of... I think it's a cafe of some sort... there'd be those long streets between you.

Upvote 0