• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Spiked Armor

Dafe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Spiked Armor

When attacked by an enemy, the "spiked armor" deals damage back to the attacking ZED, except from Bloat Bile, Husk fireballs, Siren screams and the Patriarch's Mini Gun and Rocket Launcher attacks. It wears down like regular armor, and it does not help your health go down slower when you are attacked. It's just for extra damage when you need that extra bit from a melee attacker.

I originally was going to put this under the "wacky weapon" thread, but I think this is a pretty damn good idea. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Not a fan. Anything that encourages players to get into melee contact with zeds is a bad thing. Plus, the damage it deals would be pretty small, and generally unoticable (it'd be hard to balance if it were high damage).

In fact, the only zeds it'd probably be noticable on are stalkers, crawlers (which admittedly wouldn't be too bad, if a bit pointless since they tend to be a couple shots kill anyhow) and clots (which are very bad if they hit you).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a fan. Anything that encourages players to get into melee contact with zeds is a bad thing. Plus, the damage it deals would be pretty small, and generally unoticable (it'd be hard to balance if it were high damage).

In fact, the only zeds it'd probably be noticable on are stalkers, crawlers (which admittedly wouldn't be too bad, if a bit pointless since they tend to be a couple shots kill anyhow) and clots (which are very bad if they hit you).

I wouldn't say it "encourages" players to get into melee combat. In fact, if players think that would be the situation, they would probably end up dying really quickly. What it does, is give the player a chance to get out of a situation where they could be swarmed by a mob of enemies or Raging enemies. Plus, if you buy the Spiked Armor, you wouldn't be able to use regular Kevlar Armor, so you would have to choose which one to use (Spiked Armor could represent a green bar over the red health bar).

Technically, it's not even armor, because it wouldn't lower the damage you take while wearing it. It's a last stand chance. And damage wise, it could redirect 1/3 of the damage taken, back to the enemy attacker.

Not 100% sure about it, though it'd be cool (and obviously mega-unrealistic) to give the firebug flaming armour so every zed that melee attacks him gets set on fire.

I wouldn't like that, even though Firebug needs some kind of revamp. Somebody that is constantly on fire would make more of an aggrivation to the players than the Firebug already creates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
honestly seems really useless, without armor you can get chewed up very quickly by multiple crawlers or gorefasts, and the damage dealt by it would be negligible as you would die much too quickly for the small amount of damage given to be of any advantage to the user. as for scrakes and FPs, well lets just say i would take regular armor over spiked armor every day of the week.

Upvote 0
6man HoE FP HP: 5906
6man HoE Clot HP: 227
1man beginner FP HP: 750
1man beginner Clot HP: 65

6man HoE Raging FP Damage: 212(?)
6man HoE Clot damage: 20
1man beginner raging FP damage: 34
1man beginner clot damage: 2

a) As you can see, having zeds deal 1/3 of their damage reflected back on them is useless, unless it accordinly only deals 2/3 damage to yourself.
b) Even if 100% of the damage dealt was also taken by the zed, it's still useless.
c) It'd be extremely hard to find the line between dealing enough damage to be worthwhile, and dealing little enough damage to not be overpowered.
d) When you can kill most zeds with 1-2 hits, there's not much point in having some of their HPs shaved away, it'll still be 1-2 hits.

Upvote 0
You guys are all overlooking the most important and viable aspect of this: getting the patriarch to kill himself on you.

I'll work it out cos I'm sad like that.

Spoiler!

With the numbers suggested, damage dealt to the Patriarch with the spiked armour would be a joke. Even if it reflected 100% damage, it'd still be worthless as a tactic, except in very occassional situations where you got lucky.

Upvote 0
Most players, even level 6 playing HOE don't even buy regular armor, because we are just that damn good lol.

Basically, this armor is just a better solution to martyrdom. Maybe it can armor a 1/3 of what kevlar does also, but its main use is to damage in-coming enemies. I would use this armor more than kevlar, because there is always those few jackass players who rage an FP or Scrake, then turn around and bolt the other way, and most of the time it comes after someone else, who didn't rage those enemies. There are ways to make this better, or more effective without making another complete handicap against the zeds.

Upvote 0
The only times when I don't buy armour are when a) I need to buy a decent gun (say, when spawning) and need the money, or b) on the early waves, where you'll either live or die - armour will rarely save you*

Sorry, but the only time I would choose this armour would be if it were OP or if it were in addition to regular armour.

*It's my belief that on earlier waves (W1-4, maybe W5-6) if you're going to die, you'll die (say if you're surrounded by clots and sirens), or you'll get hit and live (say one clot catches you). Either way, armour won't help you 99% of the time in these situations, so I don't buy it. The biggest advantage of armour for me is that you can survive a FP hit. Later waves it also comes in handy for if you get in Oshi moments, but those come far rarer in earlier waves.

Upvote 0
The only times when I don't buy armour are when a) I need to buy a decent gun (say, when spawning) and need the money, or b) on the early waves, where you'll either live or die - armour will rarely save you*

Sorry, but the only time I would choose this armour would be if it were OP or if it were in addition to regular armour.

*It's my belief that on earlier waves (W1-4, maybe W5-6) if you're going to die, you'll die (say if you're surrounded by clots and sirens), or you'll get hit and live (say one clot catches you). Either way, armour won't help you 99% of the time in these situations, so I don't buy it. The biggest advantage of armour for me is that you can survive a FP hit. Later waves it also comes in handy for if you get in Oshi moments, but those come far rarer in earlier waves.

I deffinitely agree. If there were a combination of the 2 (kevlar, and spiked) it would be more useful. In the normal mode, or "vanilla" as I've heard, it wouldn't be as useful. I'm an avid mission map player and it would deffinitely help in some situations, even though I'm starting to predict these maps now lol

Upvote 0
A cool idea, but I don't honestly see it working very well, at least not the way described. If it did a moderate amount of damage, AND gave you armor bonuses (maybe for a total price of 500 instead of 300?), it might be worth it for Berserkers to help keep the crawlers off of you. I'm not crunching any numbers here, but let's just be general and say that a crawler kills itself on you on it's second hit, that sounds non game-breaking and useful at the same time, and considering how fast your armor depletes, it certainly isn't a forever-long get-out-of-crawlerjail free card.

I'm kind of neutral on this, seeing as the only perk it would be noticably useful for is Berserker, and Berserker is OP enough as is.

Upvote 0
Agree with the others that damage-dealing armor probably wouldn't work. However, you could potentially have spiked armor that caused specimen recoil instead of damage. If a specimen hits a player wearing the spiked armor, they recoil backwards and/or flinch.

For specimens like gorefasts, this could allow the player a chance to step back and finish reloading or line up the shot to kill the gorefast without it getting three or four additional hits in. Maybe for clots it could prevent grabbing or at least prevent the initial grab attempt.

Upvote 0