• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Speculations regarding singleplayer/co-op campaign

First of all, my guess is that the singleplayer will not focus on 1 individual soldier, but instead you get to play different characters throughout the campaign. Hence the use of the plural "Heroes".

These characters could represent the different classes in multiplayer. Singleplayer could then be used to familiarize new players with these classes and their weapons and tactics.

Maybe we'll even get a role selection screen, since this is probably required for co-op anyway.

This is also the only realistic way I can think of, of a player both being able to operate a tank (assuming they're in) and playing as infantry within the same campaign.

So perhaps the campaign will start with major tank battles outside of Stalingrad, followed by infantry missions within the city of Stalingrad. Maybe some combined arms sections where you either play as tank crew or infantry.

Since new players will probably die alot, respawning in reinforcement waves could possibly be used in singleplayer/co-op also. Maybe you respawn somewhere near your squadleader. Not too near, since there must remain some sort of penalty. When the entire squad is wiped out or no reinforcements are left, the section is restarted.

The entire campaign possibly plays very much like normal multiplayer maps, but this time with enhanced AI (or perhaps some scripted events) and the maps being sequencially linked together. Winning a map/section of the campaign and the next map/section is opened up. These sections could then be played as normal multiplayer maps also. Since the singleplayer campaign is said to be playable from either Axis or Allied side, this actually seems very likely to me. Many of the same maps/sections could be re-used, in basically the same order. Perhaps some maps where one side historically requires to loose are only included in the other side's campaign, in order for the campaign to actually keep progressing. No progression if the Allies prevent the Axis from entering the city at all...

At least this saves Tripwire a lot of work in creating separate player vs player multiplayer maps, while their real focus would still be multiplayer.

Just speculating away here...;)

Yes, I am also guessing that the singleplayer will be similar to what Star Wars Battlefront 2 offers in its campaign: Multiplayer maps against AI, which basically play a lot like multiplayer maps against AI but have additional objectives on them. E.g. if multiplayer is strictly "defend this, cap that" then singleplayer also gets some "steal this and bring it here", "get a tank through this in one piece", "get there without being seen", "cover this guy while he does that", ...-objectives.

Upvote 0
I wonder how will they pull the AI off, the AI in Ostfront was terrible and they never touched or experimented on it. Lots of scripts and magically spawning(but idiotic) enemies like CoD?

Anyway, from what I've gathered from the scanned article; the gameplay will somewhat resemble of Brothers in Arms, where you'll be in control of stuff during the battle. You'll lead a team and tell them to do stuff; flank that, cover me, go there etc. Remember that "Heroes" may be for a squad too, rather than individual persons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, I would like a campaign from both sides - German and Russian - so we can see both sides of the battle. To top that would be a real storyline, from the historical point of view of an actual soldier who became a Hero of the Soviet Union or was decorated with the Iron Cross after the battle. :D I'm not sure how the BiA style gameplay would work in RO, but we'll wait and see. I wonder how tanks will be included though, that should be a real challenge for Tripwire.

Anyways, I would really like a comprehensive and long singleplayer to introduce you to the Battle of Stalingrad. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope the storyline (I hope it will have a story) will focus on a small group of soldiers. Kinda like the Brothers in Arms games. The characters in those games are very well made. That is not to say the gameplay should be similar to BiA, of course. But a story from the viewpoint of a simple soldier on the cruel Eastern Front, and how he deals with everything, would be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0