• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Spawn Desirability?

I believe the spawn desirability is how many milliseconds that the zombies will spawn. set it to 0 and you will have constant spawning zombies. Im not quite sure though because i just leave it at 3000

Uh, what? I assume that is based on sheer baseless conjecture? Taking a wild guess about what it does doesn't really contribute much to the discussion.

There's a property that will affect how long after a spawn before another spawn can happen, but that's not the property being discussed here

Upvote 0
Sorry, I thought I had this in the mapping guide. I'll add it when I get the chance.

Spawn desirability is a weighted number. A higher number means that the spawn will be more likely to be chosen. Lower number would mean less likely. The weighting is based on several factors including, distance to the player, and z-axis.

In the stock maps this was modified to insure that stalkers/crawlers would spawn in vent locations.

If you modify this, be careful because it could result in all ZEDs spawning primarily from one location.

Upvote 0
Spawn desirability is a weighted number. A higher number means that the spawn will be more likely to be chosen. Lower number would mean less likely. The weighting is based on several factors including, distance to the player, and z-axis.

Thank you. The z-axis weighting is the factor I'm most interested in as I want some zombies to leap into the gameplay area from an outside perimeter without adversely effecting the internal spawners. At present, they appear to be very low on spawn priority so this tweak is helpful.

Upvote 0
Thank you. The z-axis weighting is the factor I'm most interested in as I want some zombies to leap into the gameplay area from an outside perimeter without adversely effecting the internal spawners. At present, they appear to be very low on spawn priority so this tweak is helpful.

Not on topic, but other than pm to arramus, not sure where to post, re your critques of maps. (But besides, the zombie spawn is of interest to me and I appreciate this post and its posters for that as well).

So, thanks arramus for the useful critiques of maps -- I noticed someone complaining that arramus had critiqued lots of maps -- I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to arramus for his critiques.

Upvote 0
oscar.nein;n756864 said:
Sorry, I thought I had this in the mapping guide. I'll add it when I get the chance.

In the stock maps this was modified to insure that stalkers/crawlers would spawn in vent locations.

If you modify this, be careful because it could result in all ZEDs spawning primarily from one location.

I guess you never got the chance....:(:confused:

Upvote 0