• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Heldentod said:
I was kind of suprised that the game is missing the Spade as a close combat weapon.
It was the most used close combat weapon of the germans on the eastern front. it would also add more realistic aspects to the game. when your in close combat the soldiers often relied on the spade because a hit in the neck of the enemy took him out, stabing him with the bayonet could still let him fight .
close combat on the Eastern front was not always the bayonet charges from WW1 , it was fought with everything you could grab!
noshens said:
i agree, especially classes that can't attach bayonets would take a great advantage of this.
"Omg theres a guy coming after me with a bayo! i better set down my rifle, un clip my leather holder, yank out my spade, unfold it, and bring my arms back to smack 'em"
Sounds like alot of work for something that isnt very practical...
nice idea but i dont see it happening or atleast not being used that much.

Jack said:
Yeah what's the problem with that? Sounds good to me.

And who raised the point about how long it would take to switch to your spade....that's why you put it through your belt and not in your nice little regulation leather cover lol. Ah green troops....... :D
You go get a spade so its just hanging from your belt instead of the leather holder...after you lose it a couple of times from walking around the entire day...and after you get wacked in the junk a few dozen times...aswell as haveing to baby sit where the damn thing rests on your belt.......come back and tell us all about how easy and practical it is for someone to dangle a spade from your belt when you have a great butt end of a stock to besh with...
these things were heavy, long, and sharp...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We really need spades in RO!
Sometimes a weapon gets shot out of your hand and youve got no choice but run like crazy. Thus all you have is grenades.
Also there is some very annoying times when you drop your weapon to pick up an other one, but when u want to pick the new one up it fades away to mist.
THan you want your old gun back but thats gone too.
Thats why you need a hand CQB weapon so you cen at least defend yourself in some way.

And however said you cant carry your spade in your belt is pure BS.
Of course you can carry it, I do. And its much faster to use than the leather carrier.

OH YES! WE WANT SPADES!

Upvote 0
Well, as a great fan of the Sven Hassel -books, I'm forced to agree.

And yes, as the starter of the topic said, spades were very commonly used in CQC during WWII by the german forces. It's much more efficient than a bayonet, and it can easily overcome any knife, except those mean long Siberian ones. :p

A bayonet can be dodged with ease, and will easily get stuck, and before you have time to give a second stick with it, your head will already be busted open by a spade, in case the one who took the hit from the bayonet still lives.

So yes, I'd be glad to see a spade in RO. :cool:

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
"Omg theres a guy coming after me with a bayo! i better set down my rifle, un clip my leather holder, yank out my spade, unfold it, and bring my arms back to smack 'em"
Sounds like alot of work for something that isnt very practical...
nice idea but i dont see it happening or atleast not being used that much.
lol! :D
Nice one shadow! ;)
Porta_fin said:
Sometimes a weapon gets shot out of your hand and youve got no choice but run like crazy. Thus all you have is grenades.
Did you think the Stielhandgranate 15's shape back in WW1 only was for throwing it further?

It's an excellent club, and spades might be used more often, but I guess we gotta take away some Russian weapons then? Just for the sake of realism!

Let's face it, not every soldier had weapons on the battlefield!
Sometimes they were lend, not handed to you or you lost it.
I guess then it's valid enough for you to walk with spades.

So that means we should get rid of weapons aswell, and have a happy spadefest! ;)

Upvote 0