• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I was kind of suprised that the game is missing the Spade as a close combat weapon.
It was the most used close combat weapon of the germans on the eastern front. it would also add more realistic aspects to the game. when your in close combat the soldiers often relied on the spade because a hit in the neck of the enemy took him out, stabing him with the bayonet could still let him fight .
close combat on the Eastern front was not always the bayonet charges from WW1 , it was fought with everything you could grab!

Heldentod said:
I was kind of suprised that the game is missing the Spade as a close combat weapon.
It was the most used close combat weapon of the germans on the eastern front. it would also add more realistic aspects to the game. when your in close combat the soldiers often relied on the spade because a hit in the neck of the enemy took him out, stabing him with the bayonet could still let him fight .
close combat on the Eastern front was not always the bayonet charges from WW1 , it was fought with everything you could grab!
i agree, especially classes that can't attach bayonets would take a great advantage of this.

Upvote 0
futurenhler said:
Don't be a ****in dink
Every unit in game has the option to use a weapon for CQ purposes (pistol, riflebutt, bayonet). No german unit in game has a shovel (check the models, unless they have deep pockets, they dont).

For atmosphere and realism's sake, I'd rather see people melee with what they had in their hands at the time of encounter, rather than magically insta-switch to a spade and commence "whacking". No one runs into a gunfight with a shovel. CQ battles were something that should be avoided if at all possible, not encouraged with unnecessary melee weapons.

Upvote 0
Bashing someone in the head with the main weapon you are carrying is a lot faster then switching weapons to something like a spade.

Specially in Stalingrad where combat was really close, if the fighting soldiers ran out of conventional ammunition they used flamethrowers, spades and even clubs. They didn't put their main weapon on their shoulder though, if they got that close they would drop it.(I don't think people really want to drop their gun to bash one person with a spade though)
The Russians got orders to have their lines of defense/attack as close as a grenades throw (30 meters) away from the German lines (close huh?). Mostly because the Luftwaffe was well practiced in close support bombings. This way they forced the Luftwaffe to cease this way of close support.

So out of reality's sake I would say yes. From a gameplay point of view I would say no or if they did get into the game I would drop it right after I spawned. Too many weapons to switch through, specially if you also have a pistol and binocs.

Upvote 0
Ok ok I'm sorry.

On topic: The spade was indeed used during WWII no doubt. I agree it would be kind of cool if you could have a spade to switch to. But it would probably just become an outlet for "l337s" to kill someone with and then say "OMG PWNED." Kind of like in DoDS. I think the only reason TW would give a spade would be if the bashing thing wasn't in it.

Upvote 0
I think a spade for german soldiers could be an interesting feature, especcially when you try to flank the enemy in a quiet way. When you do not have a weapon that kills an enemy with one hit, a spade could do it.
But I do not think it should be a switchable weapon. It would be better wehn you would put out your spade with a button of the keyboard. Maybe the button soldiers with rifles use to attach a bayonet. Rifle soldiers do not need a spade, until they put up an other weapon, and MG could live without it.
But for all other soldiers it could be interesting. And to avoid this silly insta-switch between weapons, do not let the soldiers weapon magically disappear from his hands - let him hold the weapon only with the left hand, while he uses the spade with his right hand. Should be realistic enough.
I do not think it is something that has to be implemented as fast as possible, but when TW starts to add new weapons/vehicels, it could also be added.

Upvote 0