• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sounds in this game are incredible

The impression I've gotten so far from watching gameplay-videos is that is sounds like the weapons have the compression-like quality you'd get from recording real-life weapons with either subpar equipment, or placing the mic too close to the source.
I don't think it sounds bad - but to call it "HOLY SH!T REAL LIFE" is not quite true. In that respect, RO1 seemed better.

Might change my mind once I play the full game myself.

Upvote 0
Each sound playing takes up one sound channel, effectively limiting the amount of sounds that can play at the same time.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

128 channels would refer to 128 discrete input or output channels from the soundcard. Meaning you could send the audio to a whole ****load of other equipment and is something you'd only find in some type of recording/producing environment.

It has nothing to do with the amount of "sounds" produced by the game. That is all handled through the game's sound engine and sent to the sound card as a single audio stream.

Upvote 0
Am running 128 channels. With an Asus Xonar DX, with Dolby Headphone and 7.1 VSS.

It sounds clean, and artillery, sounds somewhat powerful.

All these people talking about having 128 channels don't have a clue. Go look at the specs on your cards. There is not even mention of 128 anything anywhere. The only scenario that you would ever need 128 channels or I/O would be in a professional recording/producing/live sound environment.

Upvote 0
I agree that the sounds are incredible. I don't have a great sound setup and I can still tell. After all, the dude who did the sound editing/recording for The Pacific did the work on this game, so that's really no surprise ;)

The first time I fired a mosin nagant in the game I almost shat myself at the awesomeness. The first time I fired a PTRS I almost fell out of my chair ...

Upvote 0
Yeah, the sounds are pretty fantastic in almost all areas. Rifles pack a punch, and the distant cracks of gunfire are really nice. Hearing the artillery and gunfire up above echo through the tunnels on Fallen Fighters is awesome. Even the much maligned battle chatter adds a ton of atmosphere.

The only real weaknesses for me are:

- Grenades. Really quiet unless you're standing right on top of them. A grenade explosion 30m away can sometimes seem inaudible. A rifle firing in the distance will be much, much, louder in comparison.

- Tanks still sound weak to me, but to be fair they're much improved compared to the stealth tanks of RO1.

- The high ROF guns like the PPSH and MG34. Rather than spit out a sound effect for every bullet fired, these guns will play a loop sample until you stop firing, at which point an 'end' sample is played. Problem is, these aren't blended together all that well. When firing short 2-3 shot bursts it's especially apparent as one sample interrupts the other. Furthermore, most guns in the game have some element of reverb. A rifle will be a hefty bang followed by a longer tail as the sound trails off. The PPSH/MG34 sound like on/off switches in comparison. It can be jarring as these two guns sound like they're in completely different environments to the rest of the weapons. For what it's worth all of this applies to RO1 too, but heh...

Just my two pents. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly critical, but it's only because the sound work across the board is generally so well done that the flaws stand out.

Upvote 0
I am also very impressed with the sounds. I am not familiar with the real life sounds of any of the weapons except the Mosin and it is absolutely spot on perfect.

Sounds exactly like a mosin should. I was very impressed when I first heard it. Absolutely identical to my M44. Admittedly a 9130 should sound a little different but i'd say its about as good as it gets :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, the sounds are pretty fantastic in almost all areas. Rifles pack a punch, and the distant cracks of gunfire are really nice. Hearing the artillery and gunfire up above echo through the tunnels on Fallen Fighters is awesome. Even the much maligned battle chatter adds a ton of atmosphere.

The only real weaknesses for me are:

- Grenades. Really quiet unless you're standing right on top of them. A grenade explosion 30m away can sometimes seem inaudible. A rifle firing in the distance will be much, much, louder in comparison.

- Tanks still sound weak to me, but to be fair they're much improved compared to the stealth tanks of RO1.

- The high ROF guns like the PPSH and MG34. Rather than spit out a sound effect for every bullet fired, these guns will play a loop sample until you stop firing, at which point an 'end' sample is played. Problem is, these aren't blended together all that well. When firing short 2-3 shot bursts it's especially apparent as one sample interrupts the other. Furthermore, most guns in the game have some element of reverb. A rifle will be a hefty bang followed by a longer tail as the sound trails off. The PPSH/MG34 sound like on/off switches in comparison. It can be jarring as these two guns sound like they're in completely different environments to the rest of the weapons. For what it's worth all of this applies to RO1 too, but heh...

Just my two pents. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly critical, but it's only because the sound work across the board is generally so well done that the flaws stand out.

I'm not playing the beta but that problem was also in OST. ;)

EDIT: with a Xonar DX, what sampling frequency should i use? 96 KHz?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First off, I have an audiophile setup, so my comments are only of my opinion, with a good system, comparing roost to ro2:

I miss the CRACK of the G43 from roost. When I first picked up a G43 in roost, I knew they had gotten the sounds right.

Ambient sounds are good -- rifle sounds are weak comparatively... :(

Footstep directionality is AWFUL -- RO1 had this MUCH closer to "perfection." I think it has to do with the volume level -- ROOST seemed to have the perfect amount of occlusion, whether there was an actual implementation for it or not -- now it seems like someone above you in a building that you are outside of is right next to you -- makes it impossible to tell if they are actually in a building or out in the open 5m from you...

Upvote 0
I think the sounds are pretty good but the sound channel thing has me confused. I assumed it dictated the number of individually rendered sounds in-game, therefor on a 64 player server (my max channels also resets to 32 in audio options) sounds can cut out or be inaudible as it can only render half of what's going on audio-wise. This seems apparent when I plane (in-game) flies overhead during a firefight; the planes consistent humming cuts in and out because of all the other sounds. It just sounds like the plane is lagging or it's engine is about to fail, haha.

I would have assumed setting the max channels to 64 or 128 would solve this, however I can't test it because the option always reverts back to 32 (other people have this issue as well).

Cheers.

Upvote 0