• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Sound Quality

NumberZero

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2013
I'm asking this because I know that in Killing Floor 1 the sound quality was pretty mediocre (.wav's 16bit PCM's) and that most tracks were in mono, unless specifically designed (gunshots, zeds, all that). I'm a part-time audio editor for a film company and I have a very large selection of audio effects that I've implemented in Killing Floor 1 that sound awesome. The only downside is that the map files increase to >1gb.

So, in Killing Floor 2, will there be a system to use a compression method for having lots of high-quality sound effects, or will we just be using the same old ways?

It might also be worth noting that stereo sounds are unnecessary as a source when rendered in a spatialized environment. There are some interesting things you can do with multichannel but its use it pretty specialized. Unlike film, the listener position relative to the source is impossible to predetermine for the majaroity of sound. The engine takes the sound source, image affected by dsp, and the the listener hears the sum of all these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might also be worth noting that stereo sounds are unnecessary as a source when rendered in a spatialized environment. There are some interesting things you can do with multichannel but its use it pretty specialized. Unlike film, the listener position relative to the source is impossible to predetermine for the majaroity of sound. The engine takes the sound source, image affected by dsp, and the the listener hears the sum of all these things.

what do you know about audio you nerd i bet you dont even know how to make music

Upvote 0
what do you know about audio you nerd i bet you dont even know how to make music

I make beats w/ my boy volcano in the garage when his mom leaves for work. When our demo drop we gunna be huge.

my 2 cents Fmod or OpenAL, I doubt it its something exotic.

iirc xaudio2 is the default windows audio library for UE3. Mac/nix would be openal but there's not many UE3 mac/nix games to support this theory. None of this means it is the only option though, only what comes standard.

As far as the difference on windows between openal and xaudio2: If you're using hardware there really isn't much. xaudio was created to interface with windows' new audio stack, replacing directaudio and its decades of obsolete redundancy. If you're using software you should see a significant performance increase and audio capabilities typically exclusive to hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have tried to set OpenAL in cfg in different ways and it is impossible to do (like if it does not exist). Is it possible to change Xaudio to OpenAL in this game? There are many games on UE3 where you can change it. In the first part of the gamie it was possible and it was great; and now we can clearly hear the regression in the positioning of sounds and such a thing hurts me :(

Similar as in http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58356

Upvote 0