• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mac Sound not working.

Wumpus

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 21, 2010
I just bought Killing Floor (mac dl of course) and I opened it up and...there's no sound. Of any kind. Menu's, in game, solo, multiplayer, whatever. My system sound is fine, and for any other game, even on Steam. (I was doing the trial for Altitude.) So somethings up with the game, I was looking into Steam support, but also wanted to post here incase anyone else had the same problem, and may have fixed it. Of course I've checked in game sound, everything is normal.

Help!

I'm using the latest version of OSX, 10.6., on a Macbook Pro.

Same issue

Same issue

I have the same issue.

Strange thing is, sound was working fine last week (since Wednesday) and up until yesterday... don't think there were any updates (were there?).

Sound in game is gone, but Steam (for example) and all my other games are working fine. I can, for example, have a steam voice chat while playing KF but KF's sounds are gone.

In the audio settings, I've tried Wumpus' trick of turning on and off Low Detail. For me, it doesn't work.

Also, my System Driver checkbox (in Audio Settings) is greyed out (and unchecked).

System: iMac 24" Dual 3GHz, 4Gb RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.3

I've tried removing local content and re-downloading the entire game. No joy.

No software updates to the OS in the last week either (in case anyone asks).

Would love to know that Tripwire are looking into this... such a shame to not be able to enjoy the game (it's not the same without sound)

Cheers

Upvote 0
I dont know macs that well but if you have a way to set a default output device make sure that it is set to your speakers. It could be set perhaps to an spdif sound output so you don't actually hear a thing.

Try messing around with the Software sound, Hardware Sound and Hardware EAX Sound. And see if any of those make it work.

--------

If there is an unfixable problem and you've shown that you've tried all you could. And can't get a game running good steam will often refund a game. But from the sounds of it I think that this problem should be fixable especially if it has worked earlier on.

Upvote 0
I dont know macs that well but if you have a way to set a default output device make sure that it is set to your speakers. It could be set perhaps to an spdif sound output so you don't actually hear a thing.

Try messing around with the Software sound, Hardware Sound and Hardware EAX Sound. And see if any of those make it work.

--------

If there is an unfixable problem and you've shown that you've tried all you could. And can't get a game running good steam will often refund a game. But from the sounds of it I think that this problem should be fixable especially if it has worked earlier on.

Good call Zetsumei. If I pipe the sound through my iMac's internal speakers, it works. It's not working (but was, strangely, until recently) through my Sennheiser USB headphones.

I've looked in the log and I simply get a "Sound Initialization failed" error with no other information than that (so I can't really offer more detail to diagnose the problem)

Again, this was working until a short while ago through my headphones (and there's no reason it shouldn't)... Would love to see some interest by Tripwire in solving this... I'm more than willing to help with any logs, diagnostics or even running debug builds if necessary.

Upvote 0
Good call Zetsumei. If I pipe the sound through my iMac's internal speakers, it works. It's not working (but was, strangely, until recently) through my Sennheiser USB headphones.

On windows PC's often that means that the USB headphone automatically makes itself the default playback device. And then removing the USB headphone can break things as it doesn't change settings back.

But again I've hardly ever used a mac so I don't know if you can set a default playback device somewhere in the sound options.

Upvote 0