• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound in RO2 vs SDK

Six_Ten

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006
aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com
I just installed RO2 on a new machine. I played a few games online, it sounded like it always had. Then I worked on Ogledow for a while in the SDK, hit Build --> Play Map (in editor) and launched it. The game sounded far better than I'd ever heard it. The mg firing especially sounded richer. How do I get the same sound in mp games as I get in the editor?

I just installed RO2 on a new machine. I played a few games online, it sounded like it always had. Then I worked on Ogledow for a while in the SDK, hit Build --> Play Map (in editor) and launched it. The game sounded far better than I'd ever heard it. The mg firing especially sounded richer. How do I get the same sound in mp games as I get in the editor?
It's the same thing in singleplayer. Try playing a bit on the singleplayer campaign and you'll see that it all sounds much better, especially artillery.

Upvote 0
How strange, can we get a tripwire-dev perspective on this, please? Sound is definitely something I'd like to see an improvement on in RO2.

Maybe this is tied into the reason why I get stutter in multi-player, but not single-player?

My guess is that there is an extra boost for single player and editor since it doesnt have to go out over the net. The quality is slightly less for multiplayer so we can have fast running games.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is a bug. I think it is intentional so the multiplayer runs better.

I hope not as that is stupid, the sound is client side and anyone with a strong PC should have the option do run the highest possible settings at their own risk.

I've already had to edit the .ini for higher than in options graphical fidelity, maybe I need to do the same with the sounds now.. sigh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope not as that is stupid, the sound is client side and anyone with a strong PC should have the option do run the highest possible settings at their own risk.

I've already had to edit the .ini for higher than in options graphical fidelity, maybe I need to do the same with the sounds now.. sigh.
pretty sure SIX-TEN has it right. if you find a way to set the sounds higher, please post it.

Upvote 0