• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Card

Im using the onboard audio on my P8Z68 asus mobo with astro A40s and it sounds godly. I was thinking about buying a soundcard but I have no idea if it will sound any better using one.

Please do, and report back :D

In my case I don't hear difference in games! With music you can hear difference though, since creative for example is using many ways to improve the sound (x-fi crystalizer and so on) though the real audio freak would hate that I bet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im using the onboard audio on my P8Z68 asus mobo with astro A40s and it sounds godly. I was thinking about buying a soundcard but I have no idea if it will sound any better using one.

It's not about sound quality(in the main), it's about performance, dedicated pci/pci-e souncards with their own onboard memory & soundproccesing units put 0 strain on your mobo,ram,cpu resources.

Leaving you with more gaming horsepower.

Simply put.

Same theory explains why laptops are not for gaming (in the main)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: THunter
Upvote 0
Fine. It's just what people believe, my soundcard is really better.. and whatever someone says, doesn't matter, its just much better!

No argument there.

It's holy ground/religion.
Or knowledge of the subject, seems like you havent even read my posts or you just dont simply comprehend, you have the same chip on your mobo and separate sound card, of course you wont hear a difference, they are practically the same cards.

Also, RO2 should use hardware acceleration, but looks like you cant comprehend this either, thats why those threads are in the bug section, only XAudio2 is working which is Microsofts terrible XBOX (yes, remember those threads about the XBOX folder in the game?:rolleyes:) software sound, OpenAL isnt working currently. OpenAL provides full hardware accelerated audio that blows XAudio2 completely out of the water.

Also judging by those headphones and your impression of them being great by that horrible review doesnt really sound convincing.

If you just like being ignorant, then fine, I will leave you to it. But just to think about others, please dont lie to others and pretend you know something of the subject since you clearly dont. Lying to others isnt very nice is it?

Upvote 0
Or knowledge of the subject, seems like you havent even read my posts or you just dont simply comprehend, you have the same chip on your mobo and separate sound card, of course you wont hear a difference, they are practically the same cards.

Also, RO2 should use hardware acceleration, but looks like you cant comprehend this either, thats why those threads are in the bug section, only XAudio2 is working which is Microsofts terrible XBOX (yes, remember those threads about the XBOX folder in the game?:rolleyes:) software sound, OpenAL isnt working currently. OpenAL provides full hardware accelerated audio that blows XAudio2 completely out of the water.

Also judging by those headphones and your impression of them being great by that horrible review doesnt really sound convincing.

If you just like being ignorant, then fine, I will leave you to it. But just to think about others, please dont lie to others and pretend you know something of the subject since you clearly dont. Lying to others isnt very nice is it?

Why should it use hardware acceleration? that is from the past mostly these days, and this game won't use OpenAL I bet. Can you name] any/many new games using OpenAL?

Just asking..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why should it use hardware acceleration? that is from the past mostly these days, and this game won't use OpenAL I bet. Can you name] any/many new games using OpenAL?

Just asking..
Yes, I can name a lot, unfortunately most new blockbuster games have ignored proper game audio and only concentrate on graphics, which tells a lot about the situation of the industry currently anyway, I dont wonder why most new blockbuster games arent good. And thats why I dont care about them and those devs who dont really care about their customers.

The recommended requirements for this game says Creative Sound Blaster Audigy or better which implies the game has hardware accelerated audio (otherwise there wouldnt be any point saying that) and OpenAL is part of UE3 and this game is made with it. The game actually already has OpenAL built-in, its working as well, just not properly.

Upvote 0

Never said they where great, though I am very happy with it, it's great for games imo (so yes now I said it), but it's just a personal opinion. Did have allot of headsets though.
Nice sound and big bass and no software/fake sollutions to realise directional sound. No wonder I mostly finish top in score with RO2 ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, I can name a lot, unfortunately most new blockbuster games have ignored proper game audio and only concentrate on graphics, which tells a lot about the situation of the industry currently anyway, I dont wonder why most new blockbuster games arent good. And thats why I dont care about them and those devs who dont really care about their customers.

The recommended requirements for this game says Creative Sound Blaster Audigy or better which implies the game has hardware accelerated audio (otherwise there wouldnt be any point saying that) and OpenAL is part of UE3 and this game is made with it. The game actually already has OpenAL built-in, its working as well, just not properly.

Okay, but the unreal engine is getting old and not used that much anymore, but since this developer cant make their own egine (to expensivie etc), it's not a bad sollution using Unreal 3 engine. So probaly you will see OpenAL (hardware acc less and less) and since we got such fast processors less important as well. When it's processed by your processor its not that much differrent anyways, right?

And mentioning the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy, doesnt mean because it's about OpenAL. Could be, but I doubt that, it's pretty old that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Okay, but the unreal engine is getting old and not used that much anymore, but since this developer cant make their own egine (to expensivie etc), it's not a bad sollution using Unreal 3 engine. So probaly you will see OpenAL (hardware acc less and less) and since we got such fast processors less important as well. When it's processed by your processor its not that much differrent anyways, right?

And mentioning the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy, doesnt mean because it's about OpenAL. Could be, but I doubt that, it's pretty old that's for sure.
There's games using UE3 coming out continuously, its nowhere near old or "not-used", and as said before the game performance takes a serious hit between OpenAL and XAudio2. Also the sound quality of XAudio2 is horrible, its basically XBOX "console-port" sounds.

If it wasnt about OpenAL, what would it be about? There's no sense in it not being about OpenAL.

Anyway, not getting OpenAL to work would be a really big slap on the face for me and others, we were expecting the game to have great audio and hardware acceleration since we have got the impression it will have it.

At least IIRC Zips has said in one thread that the sound problems have been acknowledged, I really hope OpenAL is part of this. It will improve performance and will really blow XAudio2 out of the water regarding sound quality.

Upvote 0