• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry to say this, but....

..this game is dying!
From day to day fewer ppl on the servers and if the trend to "tank-only" servers continue i will leave too. I played this game from day one when it was released as a mod for UT2003 and i always liked it for the intense combat experience, especially as a grunt. I never liked the big tank maps and avoided these maps but from day to day it gets harder for me find a server where ppl playing inf-only every time i join a server after a few round ppl vote for arad, orel or some other tank map.

too wrong...i meet people almost every week who say
'just got the game....i love it'

Upvote 0
These things are entirely subjective - the only real way to judge how it's really going is to look at official stats.

However, these will never be released as, if the trend is upwards, there's no need to post them, whereas if numbers DO take a dip, the figures will not be released as they might suggest that the game is 'dying' and go some way to stopping further sales.

It's prolly safe to say that most people's perceptions of the game's popularity are never 100% objective (whether they are 'pro' or 'con') and that such predictions of doom have, in the past been wrong and will continue to be wide of the mark until RO2 comes out.

Then we'll see the whole bloody thing over again - I will get a sig saying "Pwning j00 since RO:Ost" and start moaning to anyone that cares to listen that RO2 has prettier graphics but has lost some of the DIY, grungy vibe that RO:O had. :D And I'll prolly ***** that whilst RO:Ost would run like silk on a 4gig Ram PC with twin 7900GTX's, RO2 it runs at like 3 frames per second.

Upvote 0
One thing I'd recommend is that you turn OFF the "No bots" filter. A lot of servers use bots to seed the server and get people playing. People who filter out servers that use bots will not see a LOT of the servers out there. Also turn off the "Not full" and "Not empty" filters.

What the original poster may be running into is that, within his time zone/location, there are no good populated but not full servers that have no bots. That's a big difference from "there's no infantry-only servers." There's plenty of them. There's also plenty of servers that don't SAY infantry only but which run the full range of maps.

Upvote 0
Baloney!!!!!

There are 4 time zones in the USA and Canada .... there is always a large number of servers running in the USA and Canada.

Not true at all. From around 3am-8am its almost always impossable to find a server to play on in the us central time zone with a ping under 200. prime time sure i can find plenty of servers with pings of 30-70 but early morning its dead. i have been playing lately on euro servers because i have no choice unless i want to play vs 5 people and a bunch of bots. Im growing accustom to hearing german voices as i play comming from the players and not just the voice commands. But.... except for the free week and right after the game was released this time was always pretty hard to find a good active server.

Upvote 0
That doesn't look very accurate at all to me. Does it filter out all servers even if there is only 1 bot and 31 people on it?

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=ro

Ah yes.... the quick glance and critique. If ALL the RO Server Admins would register (FREE) their servers with them they'd have over 300 Servers to show you...

It is an efficient server monitor when used properly.

Upvote 0
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=ro

Ah yes.... the quick glance and critique. If ALL the RO Server Admins would register (FREE) their servers with them they'd have over 300 Servers to show you...

It is an efficient server monitor when used properly.

I'm just saying when I open the server browser now there seems to be quite a few more populated servers than on that page. Like you say its probably because you have to register your server with them

Upvote 0
Not true at all. From around 3am-8am its almost always impossable to find a server to play on in the us central time zone with a ping under 200. prime time sure i can find plenty of servers with pings of 30-70 but early morning its dead. i have been playing lately on euro servers because i have no choice unless i want to play vs 5 people and a bunch of bots. Im growing accustom to hearing german voices as i play comming from the players and not just the voice commands. But.... except for the free week and right after the game was released this time was always pretty hard to find a good active server.

That would be because most people are asleep between those hours. We're not all gonna stay up just to entertain you. ;)

Upvote 0
..this game is dying!
From day to day fewer ppl on the servers and if the trend to "tank-only" servers continue i will leave too. I played this game from day one when it was released as a mod for UT2003 and i always liked it for the intense combat experience, especially as a grunt. I never liked the big tank maps and avoided these maps but from day to day it gets harder for me find a server where ppl playing inf-only every time i join a server after a few round ppl vote for arad, orel or some other tank map.

This thread is almost identical to the other thread about 3 down on the front page called, "How Many People Play This Game?" Numbers are going up and lots of players....read that one, I checked some numbers while being home sick and one of the server ranking sites records almost 29,000 different user names ranked. That would be for only those players who met the requirements and only on servers who are registered on that ranking site. The number of players is much larger and growing.

Upvote 0
..this game is dying!

This is actually pretty funny. I've been reading "OMG RO is dying" threads since the 1.0 release of the mod years ago. By dying poeple must mean that more and more poeple are playing the game :) Since the release of Ostfront the consistent player counts have been growing and growing. And huge markets (such as Russia) are just getting ready to come online. So if this game keeps "dying" like this we'll become a top 10 multiplayer game by the end of the year :)

Upvote 0
I think BadKarma is suffering from vet burn out. It comes and goes, the best thing is to leave the game for a couple of months or wait until a juicy update is added and then pick up the game again. I stopped playing for nearly a year and then picked up again when Ost was released and have been having fun again. RO was born as an infantry game and thats where its roots are. I applaud the vehicles and tanks - but for me they are merely bells and whistles that have been added to the infantry game. I think this is why some of the vehicle maps lack atmosphere. They cannot match the intense experience of the infantry game because that part of the game has had less development time to mature and be tweaked.

Upvote 0
..this game is dying!

This is odd... i am having hard time finding populated tank-only servers hehe. Go figure :eek:

Upvote 0
One thing I'd recommend is that you turn OFF the "No bots" filter. A lot of servers use bots to seed the server and get people playing. People who filter out servers that use bots will not see a LOT of the servers out there. Also turn off the "Not full" and "Not empty" filters......

YES, I have been saying this all along! Turn off those filters. If you want to see if there are bots in a server and the server says 20/32 in it and you look at the list of players, and there are only two players listed, then you know the rest are bots (etc etc)! So simple! You people with Bot filters are probably missing out!!!! :D

Also don't forget you can sort the servers by clicking on the columns. This goes for you people excluding empty servers! Just sort them so empty servers are on the bottom of the list!!!! :D

Upvote 0