• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Mr Zerker, Homie don't play that

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Playing biotics and a zerker joins in the middle of wave 1. Wave 2 starts and the zerker does what all zerkers do. He runs way up in the hallway to get right in the middle of the action and assumes that I'll spend the entire game doing nothing but covering him, stay in the intersection of the halls to keep them visually spawn locked, and to cover the right and left hallways.

As in the title, "Homie don't play that."

I do my usual action when that happens. I run to the room on the right and get behind the desk. From that vantage point, I can watch the mobs spawn in the far hallway and watch them run up the main hallway and behind the zerker. Listen for the gorefasts and that's that.

That's my biggest gripe with zerker players. They generally play in one of two ways. They either hold the team hostage by forcing the team to always cover them or they run off and rambo.

I know some people are going to flip out over this but I hate the way most zerkers hold their team hostage.

Hate the ones the most who go kiting themselves and therefore hoard all the kills themselves usually gets on my nerves, and don't even care if the team gets overrun or killed and show off their "elite" skills which is selfish. If you want to do that, go play solo with Faked Players instead of ruining a game just because you want to kill all the zeds yourself.

Upvote 0
I have literally never run into a Berserker that runs away from the team to take all the kills... a guy I know tried that once or twice on Departed, but usually only for a wave or two, and it often ended badly.

Berserkers on Biotics Lab are also uncommon in my experience... maybe Americans are just stupider than Australians? :cool:

Upvote 0
I have literally never run into a Berserker that runs away from the team to take all the kills... a guy I know tried that once or twice on Departed, but usually only for a wave or two, and it often ended badly.

Berserkers on Biotics Lab are also uncommon in my experience... maybe Americans are just stupider than Australians? :cool:

You're kidding right? I have seen it plenty of times in Aus. People swapping to Zerk around waves 9-10 insisting that we need to kite to win, people going Zerk and standing in the middle of the spot that you were holding, blocking all of oyur shots, yet expecting you to save them from Steve and Sirens, Zerkers just running off on their own because they don't like the team environment. It happens all the time.

Note, this is not to say that people who prefer camping can be dicks in kiting games; just that it seems to be more common among Zerkers than anyone else.

Upvote 0
Yeah, these are one of the worst type of players that you can encounter on bioticslab. Equally bad are lousy firebugs & demos making it impossible to aim at anything and players that do the exact zerker thing while not being a zerker.

But well, if there are such people on the server (or more than 3 players altogether), I just go and unweld right doors for my own. And I wonder, why zerks can't do the same? They could just get left door or right hallway for themselves, and not bug other people.

Upvote 0
Hate the ones the most who go kiting themselves and therefore hoard all the kills themselves usually gets on my nerves, and don't even care if the team gets overrun or killed and show off their "elite" skills which is selfish. If you want to do that, go play solo with Faked Players instead of ruining a game just because you want to kill all the zeds yourself.

Did you read the entire post? It isn't kills. I couldn't care less about kills. It isn't just zerkers as well. It is players who play way up the map and hold the rest of the team hostage into doing nothing but covering them.

He runs way up in the hallway to get right in the middle of the action and assumes that I'll spend the entire game doing nothing but covering him, stay in the intersection of the halls to keep them visually spawn locked, and to cover the right and left hallways.

Upvote 0
I dunno, I think it's justified. Any people that run up to the front on biotics and expect me to cover them drive me up the walls. I almost exclusively play pub games, so maybe I'm damaged goods, but I find that it's usually impossible to reason with people like this.

If you can reason with a player, they usually wouldn't even be doing dumb **** like this from the start, but playing to win. So generally I go full passive-aggressive and kill annoying players by means like OP described as well. :D

Edit : I'll add I generally dislike zerkers in a camping situation 9 times out of 10. Sometimes it might be useful to have some sort of doorblocker or meatshield, but generally a zerker won't add to holding the camping spot. Either they're expecting cover and heals, taking time from everyone else, or they don't do much at all except wait for the team to wipe so they can kite it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was still kind of an assholish thing to do. You could have noted him first. I don't like 90 % of medic players, but I don't get them intentionally killed either.

To be fair, nutter has a really strong point. I have this all the time and it makes me want to just leave or get them killed for forcing me to sit at spawn. What he did was a "if you want to keep doing that, this will happen". It's a co-op game, not a I block here, you go have fun and play the game while I do nothing.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, Berzerkers should run away from the group. They should be lone-wolf. Their run speed helps them split off and allows the other five (or however many) players to have a centered amount of Zeds after them. Unless the Zerker is with the main group, don't help them. Pretend they aren't even there.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, Berzerkers should run away from the group. They should be lone-wolf. Their run speed helps them split off and allows the other five (or however many) players to have a centered amount of Zeds after them. Unless the Zerker is with the main group, don't help them. Pretend they aren't even there.

Cooperative game?

Makes sense.

Upvote 0

I generally don't care if a zerker rambos on a smaller closed map as long as he doesn't kite a stream of mobs through the group. That happens a lot. A Zerker gets in trouble and he buys time by getting the rest of the group killed.

I will outright quit a large open map if a zerker kites on an open map. A zerker is infinitely more OP on a large open map and there really isn't a reason to play.

Upvote 0
To be fair, nutter has a really strong point. I have this all the time and it makes me want to just leave or get them killed for forcing me to sit at spawn. What he did was a "if you want to keep doing that, this will happen". It's a co-op game, not a I block here, you go have fun and play the game while I do nothing.

I especially enjoy this scenario.

1) I see the group of gorefasts that the zerker doesn't.
2) Gorefasts attack and almost kill zerker.
3) Zerker finally notices and begins to backtrack.
4) I walk up and stand behind zerker.
5) Zerker bumps up against me and that is just enough time for the gorefasts to catch up.
6) Best part is the zerker never knew he was set up.

I must admit I'm surprised by the comments. I'll admit it's a dick move, but I'm happy to see quite a few players agree with me. :)

Upvote 0
I must admit I'm surprised by the comments.
Same here. First everybody being in such harmony with "we never kick people, everybody has the right to play however they want" in that late joining thread and now they're eager to murder their teammates for their annoying playstyle :eek:

I still think you should try and communicate with them first, people sometimes listen to reason and improve their habits (if they don't, murder away), or they were just unaware they were annoying others.

Upvote 0
You're kidding right? I have seen it plenty of times in Aus. People swapping to Zerk around waves 9-10 insisting that we need to kite to win, people going Zerk and standing in the middle of the spot that you were holding, blocking all of oyur shots, yet expecting you to save them from Steve and Sirens, Zerkers just running off on their own because they don't like the team environment. It happens all the time.
The only thing I've seen out of what you've mentioned is people who want to kite when we hit wave 7, because they don't think we can hold out against Fleshpounds. (Seriously? Get a good Demo)

I mean sure I've seen this stuff on normal/hard but I don't really count it there because everyone just does crazy stuff. :p

Upvote 0