• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry, I don't like RO2

First: I'm not trolling. But as a paying customer i believe i've the right to say what i think about a product I bought.

And i feel it is fair for you to publish it.

I know bad reviews aren't welcome but I still hope not to get banned or abused or laughed at, just for giving a 100% honest and direct opinion.

Let me say i'm an affectionate RO player and that's my point of view. I'm not a cod player. I'm not a BF player. I don't want to play an arcade or a semi arcade. I've been playing RO for years. it's one of my favourite games of all times (BTW, well done, Tripwire!).

So I've been waiting for RO2 for months. I really wanted to like it but sadly i can't.

After all, what i was dreaming of? Of an improved RO. With new maps, a real campaign instead of single maps, new exciting roles, some bug fixes (the "can't pick up dropped weapons" bug is yet to fix after YEARS and sooo annoying) and THE SAME GAMEPLAY.

And maybe better graphics. But not so important, not for me.

As everyone knows the strenght of the original RO was gameplay: hard, demanding, tactical but still funny. Nothing more, nothing else.

I am disappointed. It's not just about bugs to be soon fixed. In my opinion the game design and the game dynamics are weak, compared to the first RO.

Well, you changed a lot of things: the balistics feel different, the way you move around is different (i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example), the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on), the proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons). You know, you could change things for better but in this case you broke the "alchemy" of the first game.

And if you loose the original gameplay there isn't much to be spared, to be honest.

The graphic itself is nothing to write home about, considering we are in 2012. And too gloomy. But as i already said, not important to me. IT'S THE GAMEPLAY!

I consider this new RO as i considered "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another deluding sequel to an AMAZING game). I still hope there will be a RO3. In that case, if you ask me, you have to develop the original game and forget the second one...exactly like Eidos did for Deus Ex 3.

But you know, maybe RO2 will be a huge commercial success and you may happy with that: RO has been around for years, the player base is loyal and affectionate, it was and it is a nice niche and so on...

I know more people will disagree with me than agree with me (i've read the forum and i'm still in disbelieve) but anyway that's what i feel i have to say about this game.

Thanks for your attention,

Was S.t.a.l.k.e.r. --> now Subject`Z3r0 in RO

Thanks for giving your opinion. May be a weird thing, but it's nice to have some negative things said of the game, but with good reasoning mentioned!
A lot of 'trolls' miss that aspect.

Of course I do not agree with you with every thing (I hated pixel hunting, makes my eyes need -4 glasses instead of -3:D), but that is just to be expected.

I do hope you will try again later on, since the 'game dynamics' will change after some patches for gameplay issues. But most importantly, when people realise what this game is about and are good enough to play more tactics and aren't just headless chickens.

Cheers mate!

Nivve

Upvote 0
I am disappointed. It's not just about bugs to be soon fixed.
SNIP
i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example), the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on), the proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons).

sounds like bugs to me m8. Game isnt actually released yet in my country.
Are you sure you are not talking about the BETA?
Why not hang around for a patch - you KNOW there will be a patch shortly...

Upvote 0
I understand how the OP is feeling. However, I would recommend that you try to stick it out just a little bit longer. I think that the majority of the issues present at launch and in the beta are things that just need some attention from the developers. The game has balance issues surely, people are probably using unintended tactics, and there are bugs that need to be cleaned up. I'm not very happy with the "release" product, however I know that the basic idea, the basic concept is a sturdy one, which has unfortunately fallen victim to some technical and gameplay issues. Some, if not almost all of this stuff will be fixed at some point. I'm trusting TWI to clean up the game, fix the issues, and move on to balance and gameplay changes if needed. I'm not running for the refund button, even though people seem to want to yell at you on here whenever you mention an issue. It WILL get better, as all games do.

Reactions: dimitri18
Upvote 0
sadly from what ive read all the things you've complained about is bugs not the actual features and game play that isn't related to bugs and glitches. then theres the fact that its on ue3 not ue2 or 2.5 or whatever it was. so yes it will feel different my advice give it some time play it every now and again you might be surprised going in with an open mind always helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well the game machanics have alot of ironing out that needs doing. believe me your not the only one who feels they way you do, i just dont feel its a game breaker. but its gonna probably rely alot more on mod support then the origonal had too.

but that seems to be the new thing in games the past few years, everythings gotta be "steamlined" which usually means less options and less fun. but atlest the kids can figure it out now and not go A.D.D and shoot randomly.

Upvote 0
What annoys me is that , Everything that you mentioned as a ,,very bad change`` or bug or w/e , has been discussed here for a long time...

We got explanations for every single change this game has taken , and you simply not being involved in that ,but wanting to talk how bad everything is , is bloody annoying...

Your post wasent trollish , yes , and you seem like a decent person , but as everybody else , decided to judge out of 1 glare , and spill the wisdom beans just because you have forum posting privileges.

Upvote 0
The gameplay examples you gave, the PPSH the pixel hunting, were unrealistic. Weapons had way to much recoil. TWI could shoot now the real ones. The only thing that is missing is a much higher sway while performing movement and while you get from moving to stand. Atm you stop moving and aim perfect, thats unrealistic and makes the gameplay much more CoD'ish

Upvote 0
You should have gave it more time as I remember ro1 was far from perfect when it first started as a mod many tweaks was required to make it what it is today.Also compared to 99% of the fps's made its alot more like ro1 than its not like it.I see a ton of ro vets that still love this game myself included.The core of the gameplay is still there just a few things missing and then a few things added.

I think alot of ro1 players built the hype of ro2 up over the months waiting for its release.When you expect too much out of any game its bond to disappoint.While I respect that you gave a honest and respectful reason for you not liking it... many just whine and bash.

I have always said RO is like British humor it has to grow on ya.The more I played ro1 the more I liked it.Same for this game when I first played beta I wasn't real happy with all the new changes but as I played I adapted and after a week I appreciated what the new game has to offer. And I love it now ro1 can't offer what this one does (for me).

Like I said you should have gave it more time not judge it on its first day .At least return in 6 months to a year I'm sure it will much better than it is now.Besides with custom maps and mods and some tweaks (TWI is never finished with a game just because its released) it may please even its toughest critics.

With all due respect ... gamers are to impatient and judgmental lol

Upvote 0
Well, you changed a lot of things: the balistics feel different, the way you move around is different (i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example), the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on), the proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons). You know, you could change things for better but in this case you broke the "alchemy" of the first game.

Not everyone will or has to love the game and that's fine. But most of that seems based on resistance to change rather than a legitimate concern about the quality of the product. Pixel hunting for example was never really realistic at all. These rifles are practiced at 300 meters and they are very accurate at that range (yes I have real life experience), and it certainly isn't pixel hunting. Last time I checked the long range kill competition going here the record was less than 300m with iron sights so it's still a lot shorter than could be done in reality.

Upvote 0
I hated RO1 for a long time... damn it was hard to get used to its mechanic and gameplay, it was a whole new universe for me after all FPS i played before. I even left it for month or two after i bought game - went completly mad after first few hours playing and constantly beeing killed, not knowing from who or where from.
And then, gradually i learned to move, cover, shoot, and everything else - RO1 became fantastic experience that lasts even today.
I hate RO2 for not beeing a RO1, only polished to perfection. I think many of us expected just that from RO2...
But, im convinced that Tripwire will do some of that tweaks in aiming and number of auto & semiauto weapons etc. in some patch.
Like i said, i hated RO1 until i got used to it, i think it will be same with RO2, it is, after all, a complete new game that took a lot of hard work to be made.
Congratulations to Tripwire team on release RO2 from Croatia!

Reactions: Zookerman
Upvote 0
What annoys me is that , Everything that you mentioned as a ,,very bad change`` or bug or w/e , has been discussed here for a long time...

We got explanations for every single change this game has taken , and you simply not being involved in that ,but wanting to talk how bad everything is , is bloody annoying.

Pretoryan, i've registered on this forum years ago but still i've made just four posts so far. Sometimes i've lurked, once every x months. It's clear i'm more into playing than in forum discussions. To be honest i haven't tried the beta at all. Sometimes, months/weeks ago, i've asked on RO chat "Hey folks, how is the new ro? Anyone tried it?". Nobody knew anything. That's all. I made a semi blind buy: I liked RO, i know Tripwire is pretty competent so i was expecting something near my expectations. Ignoring the debate, my only, private wish was "Hope they don't make it too arcade, it would be a shame!". For sure, I was expecting a certain degree of continuity since gameplay was already near perfect. I took it for granted: continuity. Then i try the game and i have completely different feelings, many things changed in a way i don't like (but maybe it's just me). It feels like a completely different game in the same theatre of war not as a RO2. Ok, i'm out of time to let the devs know what I wished (but still i doubt i would have had an impact on the game development directions). But my post is just a brief review (alas negative but who knows...maybe future fixes...) from the point of view of a RO aficionado and honestly i don't know what's so wrong or annoying in it. Maybe new players would enjoy it more like it this than the way i "dreamed" it to be. RO was a niche, after all. So i am a "niche player". At the end of the day I am a customer so i guess it's pretty normal that a customer may express his opinion on a product. And that's it. i don't want to flame or "offend" readers.

Reactions: captain max707
Upvote 0
I'm glad you took your time to post here, it will give a very nice discussion tbh. I don't like multi quote wall of text replies but i will give another try :p

After all, what i was dreaming of? Of an improved RO. With new maps, a real campaign instead of single maps, new exciting roles, some bug fixes (the "can't pick up dropped weapons" bug is yet to fix after YEARS and sooo annoying) and THE SAME GAMEPLAY.

Actually it is improved. And you wanting the exact same gameplay is a little disheartening as i think many things are improvements over RO1.

Well, you changed a lot of things: the balistics feel different

Yes they feel different. It is for the better or for the worse? Why?

the way you move around is different (i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example)

Take screenshots of the cannot prone on semi-open field please. The deployment i agree with you.

the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on)

Nade tosses seems shorter than RO1, mainly because the fov changed. Recoil is a lot better and more on par with reality (according to ppl who owns and shoots real firearms, there are some discussions about the effectiveness of the MP40).

The proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons). You know, you could change things for better but in this case you broke the "alchemy" of the first game.

This was discussed to death on the forums, where were you man? The soldiers look bigger because of the new FoV and FoV zoom that makes the targets the size they are in real life according to the distance. On RO1 it was way off.

The pixel hunting still exists but on greater distances (200+ meters)

And if you loose the original gameplay there isn't much to be spared

The gameplay is mostly the same tbh.

For me you were expecting exactly the RO1 with better graphics, even with its most glaring flaws like SMG recoil but RO2 changed some things and you dont even want to try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main problem I have is people playing the game for a few hours, having discomfort because it's not like RO or not what they expected, and then immediately posting their critique. It's not trolling, but it's jumping the gun, in my opinion. The game hasn't even been released for 24 hours yet...

To be honest, it took me several days, maybe even a week or two to get into RO1 a couple of years ago. The controls felt awkward to me, the movement slow. Some things I just could not get the hang of. But I stuck with it, and the modded maps, everything that came with it just won me over in the long run.

I just wish people would give the game an honest chance before taking it to the woodshed with things they don't like about it. That's why game developers give people 10-day trials, not 10-hour trials ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0