• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry, I don't like RO2

I agree with allot of what you say,

but the good news is, just as with RO there will be mods... i honestly cant remember the last time I played RO..... but Darkest Hour! was playing it again last night!

So in the not too distant future I am sure there will be people with the same need for unrelenting realism that will create some excellent mods for this game,

Upvote 0
As a Ro vet I cant feel some dissapointment also.
The game is still unstable, has huge performance problems and simply does not feel as 'in your face' as a Ro1 did.

I do however have hope that in the coming days/weeks some of these issues will be adressed. But I hope that devs are willing to accept that their game is currently not up to release standards.

Worst of all if I had to write a review I would give it around a 5/10.

To sum it up main issues:
-Performance
-Current cover system (simply fails to function properly)
-various smaller bugs

I hope that the devs take note of this and I assume that they are working hard to improve it.

Upvote 0
I agree with above. 5/10 AT BEST

I just tried to play. Got into a server and it restared the map to a snowy map (forgot the name).

Seems like tank map only....weird, why tanks only? Map design is just....snow with few buildings here and there. Weird/plain.

Drive the tank up, it goes to a blank/spectator screen. Apparently not just me cause other people were sitting there as well.

Wait few min, nothing.

Leave, server browser screen won't refresh with servers. Yesterday I was able to address it by leaving the game and going back into it.

3 times....nothing.

Does that mean I can't play the game anymore?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not trolling.
...i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons...

fry-futurama.jpg

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
First: I'm not trolling. But as a paying customer i believe i've the right to say what i think about a product I bought.

And i feel it is fair for you to publish it.

I know bad reviews aren't welcome but I still hope not to get banned or abused or laughed at, just for giving a 100% honest and direct opinion.

Let me say i'm an affectionate RO player and that's my point of view. I'm not a cod player. I'm not a BF player. I don't want to play an arcade or a semi arcade. I've been playing RO for years. it's one of my favourite games of all times (BTW, well done, Tripwire!).

So I've been waiting for RO2 for months. I really wanted to like it but sadly i can't.

After all, what i was dreaming of? Of an improved RO. With new maps, a real campaign instead of single maps, new exciting roles, some bug fixes (the "can't pick up dropped weapons" bug is yet to fix after YEARS and sooo annoying) and THE SAME GAMEPLAY.

And maybe better graphics. But not so important, not for me.

As everyone knows the strenght of the original RO was gameplay: hard, demanding, tactical but still funny. Nothing more, nothing else.

I am disappointed. It's not just about bugs to be soon fixed. In my opinion the game design and the game dynamics are weak, compared to the first RO.

Well, you changed a lot of things: the balistics feel different, the way you move around is different (i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example), the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on), the proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons). You know, you could change things for better but in this case you broke the "alchemy" of the first game.

And if you loose the original gameplay there isn't much to be spared, to be honest.

The graphic itself is nothing to write home about, considering we are in 2012. And too gloomy. But as i already said, not important to me. IT'S THE GAMEPLAY!

I consider this new RO as i considered "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another deluding sequel to an AMAZING game). I still hope there will be a RO3. In that case, if you ask me, you have to develop the original game and forget the second one...exactly like Eidos did for Deus Ex 3.

But you know, maybe RO2 will be a huge commercial success and you may happy with that: RO has been around for years, the player base is loyal and affectionate, it was and it is a nice niche and so on...

I know more people will disagree with me than agree with me (i've read the forum and i'm still in disbelieve) but anyway that's what i feel i have to say about this game.

Thanks for your attention,

Was S.t.a.l.k.e.r. --> now Subject`Z3r0 in RO

Respect your opinion but when you mentioned Deus Ex 2 and RO2 in the same sentence I had to laugh. Deus Ex2 was one of the most dissapointing games for me ever, just hated it. To me RO2 more along the lines of Deus Ex 3, another great game.

Upvote 0
Well, but as an example you can't buy a newer model of a car and say "This car feels different than the other, it is much faster and has bigger tires, I dont like this one because it feels different"

Nice to have your honest opinion here, but you should give it a chance and try to get rid of the new gameplay. Also the devs said this game will be easier for beginners, so maybe thats why you wont see too much pixelhunting.

Well I'm having alot of fun even if it is still kinda buggy, and i like RO2 even more than the original RO!

Upvote 0
Well personally one of my biggest gripes with RO1 was that engagement ranges felt to long for the actual distance since everything was "too small". But each to his own.

I'm pretty sure there will be a mod, removing the realistic FoV (so called magic zoom), i don't mind that since why shouldn't people have the option to play more like RO1.

suum cuique

Upvote 0
I feel for all those who buy this game and end up not liking it. There should have been a demo to try as not everyone prepaid so as to enjoy the beta.

The game has issues and those who play and don't like it will probably not come back to it. It's like America's Army, they changed a bunch of stuff on their latest version and that game is dead now. Too many bugs and issues upon release and players just said screw it...and that's a free game.

RO2 has been in the works for quite some time and I don't think there s/b some of the problems/bugs others are finding.

Upvote 0
I feel you OP. Seems like RO2 has taken completely different direction. It doesn't feel like a tactical shooter anymore which was RO1. I was hoping that hardcore realism would transform the game into being acceptable but it only adjusts and switches few things off. The things like running speed or that ultra zoom still doesn't change on realism setting which still makes the game too arcadey. However weapon recoil is an improvement from RO1, although not for the tank gun which is too big. And overall tank operating is way too unrealistic, including that mouse aiming gun, can't communicate with the tank members properly, can't give a cease fire or stop to a real driver player etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First: I'm not trolling. But as a paying customer i believe i've the right to say what i think about a product I bought.

You don't need to be a paying customer. You just need to be honest, and you need to expect other people to disagree.

And i feel it is fair for you to publish it.

Not really. They have no obligation to give you a platform for a free rant. But they do anyway. Nice huh?

I know bad reviews aren't welcome but I still hope not to get banned or abused or laughed at, just for giving a 100% honest and direct opinion.

The thing is, your bad review of the game, is actually 90% likely to be a bad review of your gaming skills. Most other people's bad reviews are the same. Don't expect any sympathy if that is the case.

Let me say i'm an affectionate RO player and that's my point of view. I'm not a cod player. I'm not a BF player. I don't want to play an arcade or a semi arcade.

Except, YOU WERE. You THINK RO was realistic back then, but it WASN'T. TWI went and TESTED the ACTUAL weapons, to make them as accurate as possible, and people like you who have never even seen them, in person, keep saying they got them wrong because YOU can't use them correctly.

That's not a bad review, that is spiteful complaining from a whiney little *****.

THE SAME GAMEPLAY.

So why not stick with the SAME GAME? TWI specifically announced that this was NOT going to be a simple update of RO like every CoD is a simple update of every other CoD. They went out and got REAL WORLD information, REAL WORLD locations, and REAL WORLD stories and turned them into the most realistic FPS you can buy.

Now you are complaining because it is too real.

I am disappointed. It's not just about bugs to be soon fixed. In my opinion the game design and the game dynamics are weak, compared to the first RO.

In what way? Just saying "It sucks" tells us nothing. Does it suck because it crashes, or because you get owned. I'm positive it's the latter. People who lose games start blaming bad game design or cheats. Very few people are ever able to say "I suck at this game but I like it anyway". So if you are saying the game sucks, I'm assuming YOU suck.

Tell me WHY it sucks. What in particular about the game design do you not like and why?

Well, you changed a lot of things: the balistics feel different,

Yes, they are more realistic. You wanted realism didn't you? I'm sure that's what you said.

the way you move around is different (i'm so pissed at all those "cannot prone here" - in semi open field! - and "can't deploy here" in perfect legit places for an MG, for example)

At least you CAN prone and CAN deploy. BFBC2 you can only crouch. EA made a big deal about how they were bringing PRONE back, FFS!

the way some weapons behave (nade tosses are a looot shorter, can't cook satchels, recoil of PPSH, general "feeling" while shooting and so on),

Realism. You see the game you were playing before was totally fake. It was unbalanced and meant that certain types of play were favoured over others. The game mechanics saved you, rather than your own skill. Not any more.

the proportions on the screen (the soldiers look a lot bigger, TOO BIG, and i miss the "pixel hunting" at distant horizons).

Thought so... a sniper. A lame *** camping sniper, is complaining because he can't hide in the unrealistic fog of war. The enemy can now see you just as well as if they were really there, and they are seeing you. That means you were NOT in a good place... ever. Even back in the RO days you love so much, the only reason you weren't getting owned is because EVERYTHING in EVERY GAME looks too far away because of FOV issues.

So once again, you were being saved by bad game design, and now you're complaining about the good game design not protecting you any more. Too bad. How sad. Try again.

You know, you could change things for better but in this case you broke the "alchemy" of the first game.

That would be the "feeling" bad players got by being able to own up in a badly designed game. Now you can't do it any more, that feeling is gone.

And if you loose the original gameplay there isn't much to be spared, to be honest.

Go away. You clearly have no idea at all.

But as i already said, not important to me. IT'S THE GAMEPLAY!

Bollocks. To YOU it's the "not being as good as I thought I was", that is the problem.

I consider this new RO as i considered "Deus Ex 2" (just to mention another deluding sequel to an AMAZING game). I still hope there will be a RO3. In that case, if you ask me, you have to develop the original game and forget the second one...exactly like Eidos did for Deus Ex 3.

Go play the original. I'm not saying that in a love it or leave it kind of way. If it is so good, then why do you need it to be updated? If it is the perfect FPS for you, why not play it? You have spent all this time saying your problem with RO2 is the game play, and that graphics etc don't really matter to you, so why not carry on playing the game you know you like?

No, we all know what is happening here. You suck because you were NEVER as good as you thought you were, but were being protected by the game mechanics. Because those mechanics have changed you are complaining that the game isn't the same as a game that let you get away with bad play.

I am just as good at any FPS because I never blame the game mechanics. If I'm getting owned while others aren't, I assume that I must be doing something wrong and I adapt my play style to suit the game.

YOU try to get the game adapted to suit your play style, and seeing as so few games will ever be made specifically for you, that means you can only be good in very few FPS games. The GAME is playing your game for you. The GAME makes what you do possible. If the game doesn't have special rules for your style of play - unrealistic rules - then you lose constantly. I see it all the time.

Remember, this is a multiplayer game. When you lose the game, it's because other humans playing the same game with the same rules BEAT YOU, not because the game mechanics are badly designed.

It didn't stop them from kicking your ***, did it?

Upvote 0
I feel disappointed as well. But I'm gonna keep playing it...as I get to know the maps it seems to get a bit better.

I'm just disappointed that it's been over 10 years almost and still no one has topped COD UO when it comes to "complete WW2 FPS experience). Sad. This game certainly doesn't do that, but I guess one can say it comes close.

If you ask me, WW2 Multiplayer FPS rating goes like this
COD:UO > DOD:Source > RO2

Really isn't much difference between Ro and Ro2 IMO.

Graphics (which I don't really mind) are horrible by 2011 standards. I'm sorry but its not even COD2 standard IMO. I think Tripwire should've started off with Source engine vs Unreal 3 (which has been proven to be unstable/subpar in graphics amongst many other things).

the graphics are good, and source ha

Upvote 0