• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Bolts, but Semi Autos stole my heart...

I'm partial to bolts, but I like switching it up every now and then. I absolutely adore the STG 44, it's accurate even at good distances with full auto let alone semi auto. Another personal favorite of mine is the MG34. I enjoy all of the heavy mgs but the 34 just has something in it's aesthetic and I find that I conserve ammo more with the 34 as opposed to the 42, also the hip shooting with the 34 is a big advantage IMO. Semi-autos are fun but the SVT just doesn't look as cool to me as the G41 and 44 (44?).

Upvote 0
Same with me and alot of other people, when you use ironsights a bolt is the only thing to pick for hipping other weapons might show advantages but 1 hip from the bolt is still 1 kill its just less rapid.

Untrue, using the iron-sights is essential for effective use of medium- to long-range combat when using any weapon, especially the semi-autos.

Just use it like a bolt! (And remember not to try re-bolting your semi after firing. ;) )

Upvote 0
Quite simply, semi-auto snipers are almost a necessity on the urban maps, notably Stalingrad. The ranges aren't nearly long enough to need to worry about inherent accuracy issues, and the 10 shots, fast reload saves your butt many times in a CQB situation.
Well. Not entirely true, good sir! First and foremost, Germans can't choose the semi-sniper on Stalingrad. Secondly, the ranges CAN be long enough, like I said - I snipe from admin roof and almost to Russian spawn. One shot is all I got and all I need. And, like previously stated, I have a hard time picking off GOOD german snipers with the svt sniper on the same map. And on Odessa. Because that's what you should do, if the germans have a good sniper - you should try to keep him away... something I can't do with the SVT if he's any good at all. Sometimes I just don't hit him if I can see only part of his head or whatnot.

Semi snipers can be good, there's no denying that, but they shouldn't be used for CQB at all, and IF you really have to - theres always your pistol. IMO if you have to resort to CQB you are not doing your job...! :) (and no, I'm not talking about people sneaking up on you, but that doesn't happen often anyway!)

Upvote 0
Man the bolt action elitist ******s crack me up, and there's more than a few of you strutting your stuff in this thread. You guys think you're the pinnacle of skill in RO because you solely use a bolt? Get real, what you really are is out of touch with the other weapons.

I am of the school of thought that every weapon has its application to a certain situation and pride myself on being effective across the board with whatever weapon I am using from the humble bolt action to the light machinegun. And I think it is reflected in the fact that more often than not I am doing well for my team no matter what gun I have.

Sure anyone can just pick up an SMG and spray people up close in a rudimentary fashion, but to truly use it effectively both from a sighted position and on the move to deal with a variety of enemies and situations takes at least as much skill as it does with a bolt action. Except it is in the reverse, rather than worrying about threats up close you have to worry about threats from afar and using terrain to get yourself closer and into position to deal with said threats. There is a clear distinction between the 'rambo' running around hipping at everything and the assaulter covering his comrades at close range and using the terrain to get in close and take control of the objectives/deny them terrain/heap the firewpower on.

It's all about mindset and application, every class has it's place, the rifles and MG's are the supporting anvil and the SMG's are the hammer to smash and remove enemies from the objectives. When you understand that you'll see that every weapon has their worth and skillfull application. The semi-autos firmly straddle the domain of both which in itself makes them an awesome choice for nearly every situation.

At the end of the day I say use all the guns and enjoy RO for the great game it is :D

Upvote 0
Man the bolt action elitist ******s crack me up, and there's more than a few of you strutting your stuff in this thread. You guys think you're the pinnacle of skill in RO because you solely use a bolt? Get real, what you really are is out of touch with the other weapons.

I am of the school of thought that every weapon has its application to a certain situation and pride myself on being effective across the board with whatever weapon I am using from the humble bolt action to the light machinegun. And I think it is reflected in the fact that more often than not I am doing well for my team no matter what gun I have.

Sure anyone can just pick up an SMG and spray people up close in a rudimentary fashion, but to truly use it effectively both from a sighted position and on the move to deal with a variety of enemies and situations takes at least as much skill as it does with a bolt action. Except it is in the reverse, rather than worrying about threats up close you have to worry about threats from afar and using terrain to get yourself closer and into position to deal with said threats. There is a clear distinction between the 'rambo' running around hipping at everything and the assaulter covering his comrades at close range and using the terrain to get in close and take control of the objectives/deny them terrain/heap the firewpower on.

It's all about mindset and application, every class has it's place, the rifles and MG's are the supporting anvil and the SMG's are the hammer to smash and remove enemies from the objectives. When you understand that you'll see that every weapon has their worth and skillfull application. The semi-autos firmly straddle the domain of both which in itself makes them an awesome choice for nearly every situation.

At the end of the day I say use all the guns and enjoy RO for the great game it is :D

I use the bolt because its the easiest to get lots of kills, i wouldn't calling that the pinnacle of skill then its the easiest to use the most accurate to use. And it got a bayonet. I'm too ****e for most other weapons thats why i use a bolt. But you musn't say svt or what ever is really better than a bolt. If it was really better people wouldn't stick to their bolts. Got nothing to do with being elitist :p

Upvote 0
real men still use bolts

real men still use bolts

Well I'm an elitist and proud of it :D
Let me repeat it once more: real men use bolts.

I noticed I can rake up kills with semi's and smg's way "too easily".
When using a bolt I really have to stretch to be effective.
So I choose the class which is the greatest challenge for me: the bolt.
Of course I use projection and fool myself by thinking that this is also true for every other player on this planet ;)
A side effect of this attitude is that when a semi-auto kills me with his 4th or 5th bullet I think "damn cheater" :D

Semis = the scum of the earth.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Well see I really don't have to stretch to be effective with a bolt, that's what I am talking about, overall effectiveness.

One of my favourite weapons to assault Odessa with is the M44 carbine, and for me that includes being in on taking the objectives at close range too. But then again Odesssa is replete with rifleman cover which can be used to engage automatics with great success even at short range. It's the same with Baksan Valley my favourite weapon on it is the M38 and even in the old version when the Germans had no semi-autos I could do well with my reliable old KAR98 and wouldn't ***** (like everyone else seemed too) about the lack of German semi's.

I'm sorry but IMHO: real men can kill anyone dead with anything :p

Upvote 0
There is a reason why bolts arent used anymore.

O Rly?!? Where exactly do you get your information from?
I can take a guess from where.

Here are a few facts for you:

Bolts ARE being used even today. And yes Jr, by Armies worldwide.

And get this...there is a reason bolts are still being used.

Can you look into you imaginary fact book and tell me why? Hint: Check your index for "accuracy" and "action strength".

Take your time.

Upvote 0

Ahem, Allow me to translate this so us bolters can understand what you are posting:

Translation: I lack the SKILZ to use a bolt so I stick with noob auto weapons and call bolters "elitists" to make myself feel better.

Upvote 0