• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sorry Bolts, but Semi Autos stole my heart...

BeserkWraithlor

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
I have used the bolt ever since I played Red Orchestra, and since my computer is so slow, Rifleman is the only class I could use in infantry maps, since the rest of the classes were already taken. My computer got faster, and I have used the Semi auto rifle more and more, and forgot the bolt. Now I know why everybody picks the Semi Auto class first.

In use, there is very little difference in accuracy, so tiny, its bearly noticeable. Semi Auto Rifles and Bolts accuracy are identical. Sure, Semi Autos sway more, but if you rest the gun on a surface, or you go prone, the sway disappears like any other gun. Anything you can hit with a bolt, you can do the exact same with a semi. However, the Semi Auto can shoot 10 times before reloading, the bolt carries less rounds, and is much slower. The reload is much faster too, which makes a massive difference. The damage is the same, and now that you carry 5 extra rounds with a Semi, you are much more dangerous, and better. Simply put, the Semi has twice as much rounds as a Bolt, shoots much faster, has fast reload, and a bolter will be much more efficent and deadly with one.

Edit:Also, people tell me that Semi Auto Rifles are horrible sniper weapons, I disagree, Semi Autos are better than bolts for sniping. After I shoot, I have to bolt, and it ruins my aim, and I lose the target. Now, with semi, after I miss a shot, I can shoot again, and I don't lose the target. Also, the reload makes a difference. The reload is soo slow with bolt, I swear, the entire team escaped me. The Semi reload is fast, so nobody gets away.

The SVT-40 is simply a masterpiece. Its as accurate as a bolt, and with more ammo, faster firing rate, and a wicked design, with a bayonet as an extra, I don't think I will go back to bolting anyday.

Last edited:
There's an accuracy difference. Something to the effect of 50 spread (almost nonexistant) for rifles to 125 for G43/150 for SVT/100(!)for G41. Although, as you noted, it's really not a terrifically noticeable spread... at least, not at the ranges most rifle fights in RO occur.

Just for comparison, an STG has 200 spread, and MP40 has 410. I'm not sure how the numbers scale as they increase, but it should give you a relative idea of the inaccuracy of each gun. Basically, you IS and fire with a MP40, you miss quite often at middleish range. Do it with an STG, rarely miss. Do it with a Rifle, don't miss. So, Semis fall into the "almost never miss" range, although it is significant enough to make a shot to the chest turn into a shot to the arm or leg. That's what the other 9 rapid fire bullets are for, though =P

---

My response: Real men mod their SVTs to fire semi-auto 12 gauge buckshot.

Alternative response: Real men use bolt-action Panzerfausts.

Upvote 0
The SVT-40 is simply a masterpiece. Its as accurate as a bolt, and with more ammo, faster firing rate, and a wicked design, with a bayonet as an extra, I don't think I will go back to bolting anyday.
What happens if semiauto class is full? Back to bolt then. To me the weapon I'm using is almost irrelevant as long as you have skilled players on both sides that's much more interesting to me than "ooo I got the G41 teeheehee" I use a bolt most of the time (even though I usually load fast enough to pick other classes if I wanted).

Upvote 0
Sure, we bolters have a inferior weapon, but we use it with pride and the skill it demands.
We make our weaknesses our strengths.
We only have one bullet ready to fire.
Whilst everyone else blazes away with their autos we stand in our own
silence for just a split second longer to look down the barrel until the
feeling is right and the aim straight.
After the trigger is pulled our bullets are equal to any other. It goes where
we pointed it , nowhere else, and cuts away the strings from the puppets
that run in front of the cold black iron sights.
Then we pull back the bolt and burning, guilty copper flys free. It is the
perfect finish. It is the echo of the final beat of the hart we tore in two.
Then, when the bolt is pushed forward and we dive for cover, everything is ready again.

I love my bolter.

/psychopathic rant

Upvote 0
Sure, we bolters have a inferior weapon, but we use it with pride and the skill it demands.
Then, when the bolt is pushed forward and we dive for cover, everything is ready again.

I love my bolter.

/psychopathic rant

Use the Semi Auto the same way you use a bolt. A hardcore bolter with a Semi auto will ALWAYS get better results.

What happens if semiauto class is full?

Then I will use a bolt like before. But I pick the Semi Auto class if its avaliable.

Upvote 0
I rather like the bolt myself, and am gradually getting not too bad at using it. I really like getting the semi auto however!

I think that the bolt is one of the hardest weapons in RO to master, but I do find that alot of really good players choose to go with the bolt from spawn no matter what other choices there are.

I assume it is because people like the challenge and the satisfaction that comes from kills with the bolt? Even if it does mean more deaths in situations where a semi would keep you alive.

Upvote 0
Gunpowder came quite a while after crossbows. By the time gunpowder weapons became common, the knights were pretty much resigned to the fact that your typical foot trooper was going to be carrying an effective weapon. Crossbows though, they hated. A peasant with a couple of hours training with a crossbow could easily kill a fully armored knight who had trained for his entire life. This annoyed them so much they tried to get the Vatican to ban crossbows. :)

Upvote 0

I love my bolter.

/psychopathic rant

damnit mate, youve got a way with words!:eek:
i second everything you say, sometimes i load fast enough to take the sniper rifle but Confucius says:"Rifle with scope is like bicycle with training wheels":D also, the knowledge that you have only one bullet and that it must count, makes you carefull and if you play right, you will be the master of the battlefield. also, who needs 29 extra bullets when youve got a big bayonet on the tip of your rifle? :D
SMG's or semi's dont give me the satisfaction of a kill a bolt gives me:)
oh, if i miss this i'll just spray till i get him for sure! :D where's the tension and satisfaction in that?:D

Upvote 0
Well,I snipe as often as I can,and I never pick the semi...
Sure,no need to bolt,but the accuracy is horrible,so if the enemy isnt running in the open,I just get killed by the enemy sniper using a bolt...
Bolts are much more accurate,the bullet actually goes where you aim.
With the semi it doesnt,I've had tons of misses and gotten killed because of them...

Upvote 0