• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Something RO2 does really well

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Something RO2 does really well for me is capturing a bit of emotion, something which most games never manage to do, even in Single Player.
RO even manages that in multiplayer sometimes.
Say what you will of some of the voice overs, there are some great things in here.

Last night i was on trainstation as a rifleman.
As i moved through the building i shot several guys, then when my rifle was empty i proceeded bayoneting two others.
I was feeling really good about myself, and i stopped inside the room i stabbed the last guy to reload.
And then was when my last victim started moaning and crying, and this brought me back to Earth and i started feeling sorry for him despite this being a game.
It actually reminded me of reading this part in 'All quiet on the Western front':

"But now, for the first time, I see you are a man like me. I thought of your hand-grenades, of your bayonet, of your rifle; now I see your wife and your face and our fellowship. Forgive me, comrade. We always see it too late. Why do they never tell us that you are poor devils like us, that your mothers are just as anxious as ours, and that we have the same fear of death, and the same dying and the same agony--Forgive me, comrade; how could you be my enemy?"
- Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet On The Western Front, Ch. 9

And for a game to accomplish that is admirable.
I have always thought that games could do so much more to educate people, wether as 'subtle' as in this example or otherwise.
I have a big imagination and never have any trouble picturing stuff that i read in books, and i read a LOT, but there are people i know who can not.
Movies can go a big way too, but there you are always the spectator.
A game can put you in these situations and involve you.
I think that is also a big reason there was such an uproar over the airport scene in MW2 though i never played that myself and afaik was used to villify the baddies even more.
RO however has always been more objective without favoring one side over the other, which is important for games as these.
Hearing fallen enemies beg and moan immediately humanises them and is what made me think of that quote from All Quiet, and it's awesome.

Anybody else experience anything like this in the game? :)

I agree some of the animations, sound and other effects combine to create a pretty immersive experience. There are what I would call anti-immersion elements, but I can't fault the graphics or sound really. I know there are some voices that might sound a little cartoony or cheesy, but overall its really well made

Upvote 0
+1

I have never felt bad for shooting another player in a multiplayer FPS before RO2.

My first real kill in RO2 was also the one that hit home for me how different this game is. I was playing a Soviet assault trooper, and I managed to flank three German riflemen who were shooting out of a window. I crept up the stairs and sprayed the room with my PPSh. Two died instantly, but the last one looked at me, with what I could have sworn was shock and horror in his eyes, and said something along the lines of "No, it can't be my turn! Not yet!" before gurgling his last face first in a pool of his own blood. I actually stood stock still for a second as it kind of rang home...

Reactions: DIVZ
Upvote 0
The fear of dying and danger is always present in this game. Haven't really felt like that in other online shooters.

absolutely. felt like that in original also. there is a definite need to stay alive.

i'll tell you what though...over the past 6 nights i've never jumped out of my chair more than i have in a game before. when you are crouched, sneaking through a dark basement and a kraut appears out of nowhere and bayonets me in the back...oh man. i poop myself.

Upvote 0
Being unique and not following the mainstream where medics and carepackages(Type bonus's) are fond in all games.Ty to the brave guys at TWI for offering us this choice.Also for making a very modable game and the ability to make custom maps this is almost unheard of today.

As for my 1 thing thing RO does best ....its the most satisfying kills of any game I have played no matter what class you play killstreaks isnt needed to boost rewarding kills that comes with every shot in RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everytime I use the K98 I feel like I'm
images

And everytime I get a sniper rifle I feel like I'm
images

Upvote 0
what stands out for me is when you are trying to clear a building, the sound really makes you feel like you are there and the suspense is nearly unbearable when you can HEAR the enemy talking and their footsteps above your head before you go in...I've often found myself thiking, shall i go up there?... dont want to die, it's not my turn :)

Upvote 0